exactly what the title says, im having problems getting out of scale mode
that's all i play .

that's a good thing i guess but i need to start getting them to sound like
music any ideas anyone else have this trouble ?
Learn how your favourite guitarists use those scales to make the music you like.

Most guitarists will stick purely to the minor, major, pentatonic and blues scales, so it's probably how you approach these scales than the scales themselves which are causing a problem for you.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
SEQUENCES i dont feel like explaining it all right now but if u look it up, and still dont get it, leave me a comment on my profile and ill explain it to u.
If you mean when you play scales you are just ascending and descending through the scale and you want to do something creative, then just sit down and really experiment with the scale coming up with licks/phrases and try using intervals.
Quote by torkman
that's all i play .

Sounds like you need to balance those scale exercises with some actual music.

A common mistake in the quest to become "good" is to spend so much time on exercises/study (and trying to get "fast").... that the playing of music becomes neglected.

Learn some solos/melodies. Learn some full songs. Listen
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Sep 26, 2010,
There's no reason "quitting scales". You'll just have to understand that the scale exists all over the fretboard, not just in a box. Also, if you want to get nice ideas for your playing, check out Carl Verheyen's "Improvising without Scales". There you can find a more intervallic than scalar approach to improvisation.
Quote by torkman
that's all i play .

What AlanHB said. Listen to your favourite (or not so favourite) guitar players' solos. Copy the licks and phrases that stand out to you, that make you go, "that's what I want to learn!". Then go ahead and copy it.

The idea is to build a whole collection of phrases (or licks) that you can play on the fretboard. After a while you start to recognise some of them as they're being played, and you will also be able to categorise them: phrases that go downwards on the bottom 3 strings, phrases that bend the 4th, etc.

To get you started, here's some things that Slash uses that you can copy:
http://guitarinternational.com/wpmu/2010/09/06/slash-guitar-riffs-licks-and-tips/
http://www.theloneguitaristblog.com/improvisation-2/3-lead-playing-ideas-slash-2/
and
http://www.theloneguitaristblog.com/technique-2/slash-lesson-breaking-riff/
everyone of these suggestions is good advice

but also not only when you learn some one Else's phrase don't forget about the chord or chords that is under each phrase .
Quote by GuitarMunky
Sounds like you need to balance those scale exercises with some actual music.

A common mistake in the quest to become "good" is to spend so much time on exercises/study (and trying to get "fast").... that the playing of music becomes neglected.

Learn some solos/melodies. Learn some full songs. Listen

I think this is the best response. If you want those scales to help you, the first thing you should do is start making music with them. Tons of people come by this board every week trying to learn everything in one fell swoop but on the way they forget to make music; they forget to practice.
i don't know why i feel so dry
thx , like a lot of you have said ive got so involved learning the scales all the maj, min, pent ,harmonic, melodic, symmetrical and the modes of each .

i feel like a walking scale book

i know its a good thing i just need to get some music going .
Quote by torkman
thx , like a lot of you have said ive got so involved learning the scales all the maj, min, pent ,harmonic, melodic, symmetrical and the modes of each .

i feel like a walking scale book

i know its a good thing i just need to get some music going .

Yeah it's more useful to know how to apply one scale then know a whole heap of them. It's the same as having a tool shed full of tools, but not being able to build anything, or know which tool is used to build what.

Also while doing this you may find that those things you call modes, are not modes. Learn how to apply the major and minor scales first.
Soundcloud
It's probably a good idea to 'quit scales' at this time. you're losing youur enthusiasm and need to regain the fun.

Branch out. Play some tunes, etc .

If you paint your bedroom green...doesn't mean you can't paint it blue again tomorrow or next year. Same with scales...In a couple of month, if you feel like it, review your scales again.
Quote by torkman
you guy's don't think i wasted my time learning all these do ya ?

No, not at all.
i don't know why i feel so dry
here's a thought - quit learning new scales and focus more on becoming better acquainted with the sounds of those you already know. once you've internalized them, you'll get more out of them. you'll be able to craft melodies on the fly more efficiently because you will be able to hear them before they're even played.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
alright will do , i guess learning something about music is never a waste of time .
Quote by Stringz of Fury
If you mean when you play scales you are just ascending and descending through the scale and you want to do something creative, then just sit down and really experiment with the scale coming up with licks/phrases and try using intervals.

^this! trial and error my friend! im sure you could learn a more technical way of doing it, but i think just trying to use all the notes in the scales in a creative way is the best method.

when i started out i would start out on the scale but after the 5th step i would go to the beginning and then somewhere near the end of the scale...sometimes it sound alright but bland, sometimes it sounded terrible!

also dont forget some of the simple flairs you can toss in there...bends, pulloffs, hammer ons etc, oh..Vibrato! crazy vibratos! digging in for a pinched harmonic!
Quote by Raptorfingers
If you paint your bedroom green...doesn't mean you can't paint it blue again tomorrow or next year. Same with scales...In a couple of month, if you feel like it, review your scales again.

I don't think that's a very good metaphor. When you have learnt your scales and how to apply them, you'll use them EVERY time you pick up the guitar. It's not like one day you wake up and go "hey, I'm not going to use the major scale anymore"
Soundcloud
i read on here and other places all the time practice scales all scales in every key and so on
now every one is telling them to quit learning scales i don't get it .

Quote by AlanHB
Yeah it's more useful to know how to apply one scale then know a whole heap of them.

what does it mean how to apply a scale ?

and whats the use in learning all the scales if you only use one ?
Quote by notos
what does it mean how to apply a scale ?

Well first you have a scale, and that's great but there's one problem. You don't know how to use it in a song, or how all these great guitarists use that very same scale you have, to make such great music.

What's missing is knowing how to apply it. You should learn how to look at or hear a song, and figure out pretty quickly what scale you can use to sound good over it. That's what applying a scale is.

Quote by notos
and whats the use in learning all the scales if you only use one ?

I just said that because if you know lots of scales and can't use them, they're useless.

Practically speaking most of the time you'll be playing either minor or major. That's only two scales, and most guitarist will use ONLY those two. Learn how to apply those first.
Soundcloud
Quote by torkman
that's all i play .

Learn the notes to as many melodies as you can including phrasing.

Examine your motivations for playing music.

Best,

Sean
that's why i like this forum so much , you make everything more understandable
except sometimes when you disagree on a particular subject .

then it doesn't do me any good to read it .
Try playing melodies using only arpeggio shapes. Don't limit yourself to triadic arpeggios, branch out into 7ths, especially uncommon ones. A great melodic arpeggio is a Min7 #5, borrowed from melodic minor. Explore these shapes in different ways, so that you have something other than scales to work from. Then, try connecting them, for example a scalar run ending in an arpeggio. Also try playing your scales in 3rds, 4ths, 5ths, 6ths, and 7ths rather than just 2nds. Having all of those under your fingers will open up some new sounds to you that will help you break out of sounding very scalar.
thank you this made me understand. my problem was that i realise the b was a flat. i tought it ment something else!