So I just got my first bass yesterday. It's a ibanez AEB5E. Acoustic-electric bass. It's pretty cool. I've been playing guitar for 4 years now, and am just picking up a bass. I don't know how to play at all. Where is a good place to start? Any song suggestions? I'm into metal, but I don't think that's the best way to start playing. I'm looking more for a acoustic, reggae, or jazzy sound.
Well if you've been playing guitar for 4 years than a bass should feel pretty familiar to you. Your top 4 strings are the same top 4 on your guitar, and a good place to start is by just playing songs you know on the guitar already, just without chords.

Use the root notes of the chords played on the guitar, and you have the foundation at which you need to play through a song. In my opinion, boring bass players master this simple technique and this alone, which is enough. But intresting bass players, in my opinion, tend to implement more creative things.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
Quote by Vypor
Well if you've been playing guitar for 4 years than a bass should feel pretty familiar to you. Your top 4 strings are the same top 4 on your guitar, and a good place to start is by just playing songs you know on the guitar already, just without chords.

Use the root notes of the chords played on the guitar, and you have the foundation at which you need to play through a song. In my opinion, boring bass players master this simple technique and this alone, which is enough. But intresting bass players, in my opinion, tend to implement more creative things.

Actually yes I can do that. I transferred a couple of songs from guitar already, but I want to actually learn things. Ya bass does feel familiar to me.
Lock in with a drummer, look for a groove. Playing the bass is about grooving with a drummer man, thats all I can suggest. Sometimes you gotta not care much about being simple, because a good rhythm is just sometimes simple.

Play some of the same songs you have learned using the same changes and everything but playing triplets instead of single notes. then switch it around and do triplets - single - triplets - single. Make any kind of combination of notes that you feel go together and play them in different rhythm patterns.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
Well only drummer I know isn't too good, he plays acoustic better then drums, but then I'm better at guitar then him. Well what are some intermediate songs i could learn.
make beats while you're playing bass.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Some of Santana's early stuff has fairly simple bass lines. In particular, look at Oye Como Va. The bulk of the song uses only 3 notes in a repeating format and uses only the A, D, & G strings. Also, Evil Ways and Jingo have simple bass lines.

For absolute bass simplicity try Gimme Some Lovin' by the Spencer Davis Group. Basically an E note played at the 7th fret on the A string, followed by an open E on the E string with only 4 extra notes in the chorus. Can be pretty boring, but good for getting your timing down and a feel for the larger strings.

If you're having trouble controlling string screech then put a set of flats on so you can concentrate on the basics. You can always go back to roundwounds later.

When I picked up bass several years ago after being a guitarist for 30 years I initially bought a long scale bass but found that a short scale bass suited me better, particularly when moving back and forth between bass and guitar. Now that I have arthritis in my left shoulder that limits my stretch I like the short scale even better. If you bought a long scale bass you might try a short scale in a music store to see if it works better for you.

Practice with a metronome and follow the kick drum if you're playing with a group.
yeah i did the same thing i bought an ESP LTD 2000 and i havent looked back
And When You Decide To Come Back Around I Will Have Already Been Gone.....