Page 1 of 3
Been lurking craigslist a bit, but nothing has really caught my eye

I have, however, been doing a little research, and found this out:

There is a Vox AC4TV combo with a torn grill clothe for 140 at a store near me,

if I get that, a noise gate, and say, a DOD YJM308 or Boss SD-1 overdrive or something that like, should I be able to get a decent metal tone out of it? Because that is def. within my price range. I found out that running an overdrive pedal into a tube amp is apparently a really good idea, but I don't want to have to pay to get the grill clothe fixed. Anyone have any idea what I should do?
A torn grill cloth is not going to affect the tone whatsoever don worry 'bout it.

But the AC4 would suck balls for metal. It's good for Sabbath-y stuff, really scuzzy fuzzy dirt, but good luck getting any definition with it. esp with the tiny ass speaker.

save up your money and get a decent amp.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
I think the ac4 is a little overpriced for what it is especially if you're gonna run pedals in front. A valve jr will do just as good and it's cheaper.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by Jhachey22
A torn grill cloth is not going to affect the tone whatsoever don worry 'bout it.

But the AC4 would suck balls for metal. It's good for Sabbath-y stuff, really scuzzy fuzzy dirt, but good luck getting any definition with it. esp with the tiny ass speaker.

save up your money and get a decent amp.

See thats not really an option for me =/

What low wattage tube amp do you suggest then?
Quote by paulsom83
See thats not really an option for me =/

What low wattage tube amp do you suggest then?

How is it not an option? are you dying of cancer and you need to get an amp before you pass on?
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Quote by Jhachey22
How is it not an option? are you dying of cancer and you need to get an amp before you pass on?

No....

It may be because I have other interests, and I don't want to put all my money towards guitar.
If you could go for a Valve Junior head and a 1x12 cab, it would probably sound better. Besides being kind of limited, I always thought the biggest downfall of the AC4 was its crappy speaker. An 8 or even 10 inch speaker in a combo makes it sound like it's in a cardboard box.
Quote by paulsom83
No....

It may be because I have other interests, and I don't want to put all my money towards guitar.

So? you can't put some of your money away for guitar stuff and some away for your other interests? it not rocket science.

believe me, you're better off saving for something that will do what you want than trying to force something that's not designed for metal to do metal just because you're impatient and don't want to wait to amass the necessary funds.

^VJ won't do metal without heavy modding. Farty and flubby.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Quote by Seref
If you could go for a Valve Junior head and a 1x12 cab, it would probably sound better. Besides being kind of limited, I always thought the biggest downfall of the AC4 was its crappy speaker. An 8 or even 10 inch speaker in a combo makes it sound like it's in a cardboard box.

I could see me possibly pushing my budget in that direction. But the Valve Jr has no EQ controls, what is a good hyper cheap EQ pedal that I could use with it>
Quote by Jhachey22
So? you can't put some of your money away for guitar stuff and some away for your other interests? it not rocket science.

believe me, you're better off saving for something that will do what you want than trying to force something that's not designed for metal to do metal just because you're impatient and don't want to wait to amass the necessary funds.

^ This is the kind of posts that I don't consider help.

When you make ~1000 dollars a month, and 700 has to go towards rent, and 250+ a month going towards food, it is REALLY HARD to save up extra cash, alright? Car insurance, etc. So SORRY if I cannot put all my money towards this guitar shit.
Quote by paulsom83
I could see me possibly pushing my budget in that direction. But the Valve Jr has no EQ controls, what is a good hyper cheap EQ pedal that I could use with it>

Well, Danelectro makes really cheap pedals that don't totally suck. Although, as with everything, you get what you pay for.
Quote by Seref
Well, Danelectro makes really cheap pedals that don't totally suck. Although, as with everything, you get what you pay for.

yeah I noticed the Fish n Chips for 30 bucks a while ago, but I sort of dismissed it because I figured there is no WAY that for 30 dollars new it is a good product

Still worth getting? I mean, the DOD YJM308 is only 30 bucks also, so I guess its not THAT unbelievable...
Quote by paulsom83
So SORRY if I cannot put all my money towards this guitar shit.

yea...

for low volume home practice check out a vibro champ xd and vox vt15. good luck.
Quote by gregs1020
yea...

for low volume home practice check out a vibro champ xd and vox vt15. good luck.

Apparently I need a 12" speaker =/
Quote by paulsom83
^ This is the kind of posts that I don't consider help.

When you make ~1000 dollars a month, and 700 has to go towards rent, and 250+ a month going towards food, it is REALLY HARD to save up extra cash, alright? Car insurance, etc. So SORRY if I cannot put all my money towards this guitar shit.

dude, put aside like 50 bucks a month. in a years time, that's $600.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Quote by paulsom83
Apparently I need a 12" speaker =/

You don't NEED one... It's just my opinion that the AC4TV speaker sucks.

Those amps he suggested actually sound better to me even though they're not pure tube.
Quote by Jhachey22
dude, put aside like 50 bucks a month. in a years time, that's $600.

I don't want to wait an entire year to get an amp -.-
Quote by Jhachey22

huurr? I beg to differ!

The valve jr is a machine for war.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7394209/reamp1.mp3
Quote by paulsom83
I don't want to wait an entire year to get an amp -.-

You'd rather have a POS now?
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Quote by Jhachey22
You'd rather have a POS now?

Yes, I would rather have a decent home rig now than a fantastic gigging rig in a year.
Quote by paulsom83
Been lurking craigslist a bit, but nothing has really caught my eye

I have, however, been doing a little research, and found this out:

There is a Vox AC4TV combo with a torn grill clothe for 140 at a store near me,

if I get that, a noise gate, and say, a DOD YJM308 or Boss SD-1 overdrive or something that like, should I be able to get a decent metal tone out of it? Because that is def. within my price range. I found out that running an overdrive pedal into a tube amp is apparently a really good idea, but I don't want to have to pay to get the grill clothe fixed. Anyone have any idea what I should do?

i hear ya on low on funds. i didn't have equipment for forever until i finally got a bit of extra cash. seems like 150 usd is roughly what you can do? that is gonna put quite a limit on what you can get.

but if you wanna do metal for that kinda money you may not be best served with a small tube amp as the power section just doesn't stand up to the distortion [and possible slack tunings].

maybe try some solid state amps with a larger power section if you wanna compare? i find SS amps have a bit more punch/attack (than low wattage tube amps) which is pretty favorable, and as long as you don't push the power section too hard you should get a 'tighter' tone. this may be more advantageous for your price range. for example, i used a fender ultimate chorus that i got for ~200 usd that was 60 watts per speaker for a couple of years. did a good enough job for me for what it was.

i can also understand if you are set on tube amps. i would snatch the AC4TV up with a quickness if it is close to what you want [and can afford]. screw the grill cloth, it'll look more metal that way anyway.

edit: also, if just plan on playing by yourself at home, you can look into software as well. i use amplitube when on the road cuz it's easy.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Sep 26, 2010,
Quote by paulsom83
yeah I noticed the Fish n Chips for 30 bucks a while ago, but I sort of dismissed it because I figured there is no WAY that for 30 dollars new it is a good product

Still worth getting? I mean, the DOD YJM308 is only 30 bucks also, so I guess its not THAT unbelievable...

You're sitting here telling us you need to save money, then you tell us that you dismissed something because its cheap...

Anyways, as an ac4 owner i can tell you that it can get fairly nasty, but we're not talking pure brootz. the mini stack which is just 100 more comes with a 12" speaker...or if you go to guitar center's used website you can find some serious gems there for cheap. trust me, as a college student with (currently) no job i know the woes and frustration when it comes to new gear. craigslist, ebay and gc used should become your best friend. btw, the fish n chips is excellent.
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
Quote by paulsom83
Yes, I would rather have a decent home rig now than a fantastic gigging rig in a year.

But it WON'T be decent. you'll buy a cheap amp, then to try and get the tone you want you'll waste money on pedals. you'll end up spending more in the long run but you'll like you're spending less because you're only spending 50 or 60 dollars at a time. Trust me, I've been there. I'm just trying to save you some trouble/money.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Quote by BrokenDstring
You're sitting here telling us you need to save money, then you tell us that you dismissed something because its cheap...

well, i'll admit i never thought of a 'fish and chips' OD as anything i'd wanna dump money on til i started hearing all the "F&C vs. OCD" hype. gotta admit, that danelectro OD sounds like more than 30 bucks. wouldn't wanna have to rely on it if i was touring though, looks fairly easy to trash; but it would be great for a home OD that sounds good.

-ae
Quote by Jhachey22
But it WON'T be decent. you'll buy a cheap amp, then to try and get the tone you want you'll waste money on pedals. you'll end up spending more in the long run but you'll like you're spending less because you're only spending 50 or 60 dollars at a time. Trust me, I've been there. I'm just trying to save you some trouble/money.

Okay, if I could push the budget to like 300, what could I get? I could probably sell a few things and get it up to that range, but thats SERIOUSLY as high as I can go.
Quote by gumbilicious
well, i'll admit i never thought of a 'fish and chips' OD as anything i'd wanna dump money on til i started hearing all the "F&C vs. OCD" hype. gotta admit, that danelectro OD sounds like more than 30 bucks. wouldn't wanna have to rely on it if i was touring though, looks fairly easy to trash; but it would be great for a home OD that sounds good.

the fish and chips is an EQ pedal, not an OD pedal.
Quote by paulsom83
Okay, if I could push the budget to like 300, what could I get? I could probably sell a few things and get it up to that range, but thats SERIOUSLY as high as I can go.

If by some extremely lucky coincidence you find a used Jet City JCA2112 combo for $300, snatch it up immediately. They sometimes go that low, but you have to keep a sharp eye on you nearest big city's craigslist.

In fact:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jet-City-Amplification-JCA2112RC-20W-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=583601&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=440692246

$299. On sale. Free shipping. GET THIS NAO.
Last edited by Seref at Sep 26, 2010,
Quote by Seref
If by some extremely lucky coincidence you find a used Jet City JCA2112 combo for $300, snatch it up immediately. They sometimes go that low, but you have to keep a sharp eye on you nearest big city's craigslist.

That can't possibly be my only option
Quote by Jhachey22

i hear ya hackey, but there are times when you just gotta get something to tie you over. i hate telling people to get 'immediately affordable' gear, but if you do need it now, and you know you won't have the cash then you [for me, esp in college] not playing til i got the amp was not an option.

sucks later when you try and get money outta it again to help fund the 'good' amp you finally have money flowing in for later, but it is about keeping on playing as you can.

must admit that if you are in the 'low end' amp pool, then it really doesn't pay to go switching amps cuz you really are just spending money to shuffle crap amp.s

-ae
Quote by paulsom83
That can't possibly be my only option

It's not, but you want it to do metal, and the Jet City is probably the best 30-watt-and-under budget amp there is for metal. Someone around here has a reamped soundclip of it doing broots, I'll see if I can find it.

Also, see my edit.
Quote by paulsom83
the fish and chips is an EQ pedal, not an OD pedal.

i was thinking the cool cat

-ae
Quote by Seref
It's not, but you want it to do metal, and the Jet City is probably the best 30-watt-and-under budget amp there is for metal. Someone around here has a reamped soundclip of it doing broots, I'll see if I can find it.

Also, see my edit.

Well I won't be able to get this now because I only have like 200 dollars cash on me right now I have to sell a few things to get another 100. Hopefully it'll still be on sale by then.

But just in case, what else could I get?
Here:

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/MatrixClaw/music/

Look for his JCA 20 clip. It can do metal. It can do classic. it can do clean. It might be your best bet.

Here's the MF link again: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jet-City-Amplification-JCA2112RC-20W-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=583601&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=440692246

It's pretty frickin' coincidental that this happens to be on sale the very weekend you're looking for an amp. It's reduced $100.
Quote by Seref
Here:

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/MatrixClaw/music/

Look for his JCA 20 clip. It can do metal. It can do classic. it can do clean. It might be your best bet.

Here's the MF link again: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jet-City-Amplification-JCA2112RC-20W-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=583601&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=440692246

It's pretty frickin' coincidental that this happens to be on sale the very weekend you're looking for an amp. It's reduced $100.

Yes but I need another 100 to get it :/

I may not be able to get it before the sale goes down >.<

****ing lame
Quote by paulsom83
Well I won't be able to get this now because I only have like 200 dollars cash on me right now I have to sell a few things to get another 100. Hopefully it'll still be on sale by then.

But just in case, what else could I get?

If you can sell your shit within 5 days...
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Peavey-JSX-Satriani-Mini-Colossal-Guitar-Amp-Combo-NEW-/330475443115?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf1df13ab
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
In that case, yeah. Look through the GC used listings BrokenDstring has been posting. Just set the filter to amps and $200-$300 price range to weed out all the junk amps. I saw some Peavey Windsors and Flextones, some Valvekings. Egnater Rebels. Some good stuff, not sure how metal they can be (besides the valveking. It's a pretty go-to cheap amp for metal players).
Last edited by Seref at Sep 26, 2010,
Page 1 of 3