So guys, I have a Squier P-Bass and it plays amazingly. I have just one question, why do people hate Squiers so much, they are really good basses, and very affordable. I just bought a T-bird and its not really that big of a difference, except the weight of the guitar.

Your thoughts?
Last edited by RazzleMCR1 at Sep 26, 2010,
i think it's mainly the low quality of some of the squire guitars. i personally love squire basses too.
Mine fell apart within a year... the volume/tone knobs, frets, tuners and strap buttons are all crap. It was great for a few months though... oh, and the intonation is suspect on most of the Squier basses I've played, even after a set up.
I own two squiers. both are limited edition 20th anniversary squiers. the first is an affinity P bass, the other is an affinity strat. I have friends who have been playing for years that swear my squier strat sounds every bit as good as a MIM fender. the P bass is just gorgeous, it plays great and sounds fantastic, I would easily put it up against a MIM fender any day.

OT.
I think that a lot of people have a stigma towards squier primarily for 4 reasons

1 early squiers were in many cases very cheaply made with crap woods and hardware.

2 there is a deep seeded stigma about inexpensive guitars. "if its inexpensive then it must suck"

3 some people heard something about a squier from a friends, uncles, cousins, aunt who new a guy that said squiers sucked. these very same people have never bothered to ever pick one up and actually play the damn thing.

4 gear snobbery. IF it isnt made by X company then it must suck

The truth of the matter with the modern squier is that these guitars are NOTHING like the older models. squiers quality control has jumped up quite a bit in the past 5 years or so.
Squier is now using better woods, hardware and craftsmanship on their guitars and it shows, Hell even the bullets are now made from solid wood rather then plywood.
Last edited by Alucard817 at Sep 26, 2010,
agreed. So picking on a new bass to get, its either an ibanez sr300m of squier vintage modified pbass. Same price range, but the ibanez seems more liked. What would you pick?
Quote by RazzleMCR1
agreed. So picking on a new bass to get, its either an ibanez sr300m of squier vintage modified pbass. Same price range, but the ibanez seems more liked. What would you pick?

well duh. SQUIER. i notice a lot of people knock P basses saying they dont have any tonal range, which is bullshit, they just dont know how to use the knobs. i would probably go for the VM jazz, since you have a P already. however if you really love the P bass then i suggest this lovely beauty.
http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0326802520
I swear that will be mine even if i have to molest a jumbo jet to get it.
not a fan of ibanez, all the new ones look and sound the same to me.
they all look like theyre over compensating for something and the tone is just horrendous.
Last edited by Alucard817 at Sep 26, 2010,
Quote by Alucard817
1 early squiers were in many cases very cheaply made with crap woods and hardware.

I'll point out that "early" Squier's, as in the first Squier's were fantastic. Much much better than anything Squier puts out nowadays.

As for Squier, they're hit or miss. There are gems and lemons left and right. The Affinity line is known for having some serious quality control and consistency problems, but the Deluxe, Classic Vibe, and Vintage Modified series are decent, inexpensive basses. Great value, easily upgradeable, and perfectly serviceable.

As for Squier vs. Ibanez, Ibanez is more consistent with build quality, and its rarer to find a "bad batch" Ibanez than a Squier. They're rather different though, Ibanez basses are generally more transparent, while Squier's (being budget Fender's) have that Fender character to them (be it the tonal varieties of a Precision or Jazz). Ibanez are also known for their thin necks, you should try both before buying.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Tostitos
I'll point out that "early" Squier's, as in the first Squier's were fantastic. Much much better than anything Squier puts out nowadays.

QFT. I've played a couple of MIJ Squiers and they were great, and if I'm not mistaken there were a few MIA Squiers in the early 90's.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
I used to have a Squier P-Bass, and i put Seymnour Duncans SPB-3 QP. Then the REAL fun started. Just exchange the pickups and it will sound very nice.
Last edited by Radoslavo at Sep 26, 2010,
Quote by Tostitos

As for Squier, they're hit or miss. There are gems and lemons left and right. The Affinity line is known for having some serious quality control and consistency problems, but the Deluxe, Classic Vibe, and Vintage Modified series are decent, inexpensive basses. Great value, easily upgradeable, and perfectly serviceable.

As for Squier vs. Ibanez, Ibanez is more consistent with build quality, and its rarer to find a "bad batch" Ibanez than a Squier. They're rather different though, Ibanez basses are generally more transparent, while Squier's (being budget Fender's) have that Fender character to them (be it the tonal varieties of a Precision or Jazz). Ibanez are also known for their thin necks, you should try both before buying.

there were early squiers that were higher end, just like squiers today. however there were more early cheap squiers then there were higher end ones. this is where that particular stigma comes from that i was talking about.

I dont think squiers are really hit or miss any more, ive played a number of squiers in the past few years and all were pretty damn good. i think for the most part the QC problems of squier have been, for the most part, worked out.
I dont know if the newer ibanez guitars and basses are really all that great. the newer ones that i have played (from friends) havent been very good to their owners. problems with soldering and incorrect wiring have been the main culprits. i will say though the necks have always been rock solid, same as the finish.
Quote by Alucard817
there were early squiers that were higher end, just like squiers today. however there were more early cheap squiers then there were higher end ones. this is where that particular stigma comes from that i was talking about.

I'm pretty sure he was talking about the early Squiers as in the FIRST ones. When they were all made in Japan.
There's MIM, MIA, MIK, MIJ, MIT, MIC, MII (India) and MII (Indonesia) Squiers. You could probably guess which ones people bitch about.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
^ precisely, I was referring to the earliest Squier's, most specifically the MIJ and MIK varients.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Tostitos
^ precisely, I was referring to the earliest Squier's, most specifically the MIJ and MIK varients.

oh well in that case the
MIJ squiers kicked ass no doubt. i was referring to the really crappy MII (Indonesia)