I'll try again. My guitar has an awful buzzing noise, but it is not hum, hiss, or anything like that. It only happens with distortion on the bridge pickup.

The sound clip is on the main page of:
http://scraps.wikispaces.com

Please check it out before you post. I have band practice in two days and don't want this noise to be so embarrassing to my friends!

Whackaweed
Last edited by Whackaweed at Sep 26, 2010,
I had/have the same issue.
Not long after the wire connecting to my jack came right off.
It could also be due to rust, however I'm only basing this off of the current condition of my guitar, I could be completely wrong.
-------------------------------------------
Gear:

Guitar(s): .Shecter Tempest EXTREMEEEEEE
--------------Maton CW-80

Amplification: Randall RG75 G3
Thanks. I'll check that later.

My guitar is fairly new, but I guess it could have come loose.

How do you clean rust?

Thanks.

(bump)
There are rust removing sprays in most hardware shops....(especially automobile related) walk into one and ask for it...
Samick AV6
Yamaha RGX 121z
Zoom G2 Processor
Digitech RP 80
Marshall CD15
Roland cube 30x
Quote by meghrs88
There are rust removing sprays in most hardware shops....(especially automobile related) walk into one and ask for it...

DO NOT SPRAY THIS CRAP ON A GUITAR!!! Good god people are stupid some times. I listened to the clip and I guess my ears are shot cause I didn't not hear the buzz.Unless you are referring to the normal clipping sound of distortion.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
^^^
You could be onto something.
Try the clean channel on your amp, turn down the channel level to 1-2, and up the master volume to around 7. Should smoothen out and clean up your sound bigtime.
Gear:

Hmm. Sorry for asking, but what is the normal clipping sound? I can't believe I don't know what that is.

Sound clip please?

I'd say, a "normal" sound sounds smooth. There are no harsh noises in any of my favourite bands REGARDLESS of heavy distortion or not. It is always perfectly smooth.

Is it my amp? My stereo system had the same problem...

However, when I plug my keyboard in, with the same effects, it is perfectly smooth.

My dad, has twice checked the pickups which he recently installed. He is a pro at soldering, but he cannot find any issues. The only difference he found was these tone circuits called Greasebucket. Should I try to take them off?

Thanks in advance.
Your favourite bands sound so smooth because they have an audio tech, and thousands of dollars worth of recording equipment at their disposal.

Clipping is what happens when you use too much distortion for your amp to handle, and starts to sound like it's skipping, much like how a record skips; only to a lesser or equal degree.
Like I said above, if you turn up the master volume, a smoother sound will be produced, this could fix your problem. How it works I don't know.
Gear:

Last edited by Nimbus456 at Sep 27, 2010,
So clipping is when an amp has too much distortion?

The buzz happens when I have distortion, even overdrive.

Even my keyboard is smooth, and I'm sure it's well pushing the pedals/amp.

Eh, I don't have master volume...

EDIT: It doesn't buzz with my neck pickup at no tone.
Last edited by Whackaweed at Sep 28, 2010,
Take it to a shop, get them to check the wiring.
Gear:

Is that the G string? I've had that same oscillation sound on the G string on every guitar I've owned. Really annoying.

Unless that's not what you're talking about.

edit:
Basically... clipping IS distortion. When your turn your gain up and it starts to get dirty, the signal is clipping. Nothing wrong with it.

Now there's a different between that kind of clipping, and audio clipping where you overload your mic and it distorts the sound. That should be avoided.
Last edited by Ignite at Sep 29, 2010,
Quote by Ignite
Is that the G string? I've had that same oscillation sound on the G string on every guitar I've owned. Really annoying.

Unless that's not what you're talking about.

edit:
Basically... clipping IS distortion. When your turn your gain up and it starts to get dirty, the signal is clipping. Nothing wrong with it.

Now there's a different between that kind of clipping, and audio clipping where you overload your mic and it distorts the sound. That should be avoided.

YES. That's what I'm talking about.