I usually associate the art of popping/slapping with electric bass guitars,
and always kinda thought that those looked and soundd killer

well yesterday I saw this guy slapping and popping like mutha on his anderson drop top classic, and began searching the website for a lesson or instruction (as I have never done it before... I kinda need the basics)
what I found, and all I found, though, are bass lessons. Can anybody direct me to any instructional source or site where I can learn this awesomeness that is slapping and popping??

thanks in advance
Guitars:
* Custom "does-it-all" Strat
*'12 James Tyler Studio Elite HD Burning Water (HSH)
* EVH Wolfgang Special Stealth HT
Watch the bass ones. It would probably be the same technique anyways.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iz9XVnF1BsQ

Search slap guitar on Google. You'll find some stuff yo

EDIT: It looks similar to chicken picking to me so maybe look up videos of that technique as well. That might get you on your way.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Sep 26, 2010,
search also for tosin abasi from animal as leaders! I thought i saw a movie from him explaining slapping on the guitar here on UG but i'm not for sure!
Quote by Thrashmetalman
search also for tosin abasi from animal as leaders! I thought i saw a movie from him explaining slapping on the guitar here on UG but i'm not for sure!

this. except i saw it on youtube a few days ago, he was showing off 8 strings.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
I started off my musical life as a bass player.
Its the same technique, just tightened up since guitar strings are smaller and closer together.
Quote by Thrashmetalman

he has an 8 string. those strings are much more slappable than a bog standard 6.

also TS, up the gauge on your strings a lil. thatll make them sound easier.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
It's not the same technique as bass. It's slightly different. There's a book out, the 333 Book, by Mike Ihde (my teacher at Berklee). He has a very good technique, pick up the book. Otherwise check out Tomo Fujita, and study his style.
Quote by Guitardude19
The world is a fucked up place.

Tele's

"Oh I'll play the blues for you"
Or have a look at chris broderick
Gear:

Schecter Jeff Loomis 7-String
Engl Savage 120
Maxon OD-808
Harley benton 2x12 v30's
Bugera 333
Bugera 6260