Not when we have exoskeletons for only $2000 USD!

http://blog.tmcnet.com/blog/tom-keating/inventor-creates-halo-exoskeleton-armor-suit-for-military-use.asp

Seriously, how incredibly futuristic is this? We live in an amazing time, my friends...

Discuss the awesomeness of functional exoskeletons.
They've been working on this sort of stuff for years and years. I'm sure this one is a very light-weight version of what they actually want.

Problem is they're having trouble adapting the entire versions to make them entirely robotic, in other words, for the robotics system to support its own weight, making the armoring possibilities much larger and leaving the soldier's body to support his body weight and the clothes on his back. Literally.

On another note, they have developed ''invisibility'' technology, a.k.a. optical camouflage. Don't know if they have it on soldiers or anything, but the Japs have been able to use it for demonstrations with spheres and stuff. Pretty neat.
That is really cool, too bad it had to be geared towards war and not exploration or increasing the quality of life.

EDIT : To the guy above me, I've seen some things like this that were just way too heavy to work. This one, however, is only 40lbs, which I'm pretty sure a well conditioned soldier could carry.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Last edited by The_Sophist at Sep 26, 2010,
Quote by The_Sophist
That is really cool, too bad it had to be geared towards war and not exploration or increasing the quality of life.

Which in this day and age is a very, very ridiculous thing to do.

Fucking military.
Quote by Avedas

Fucking military.

I'm pro-military. I'm anti-theneedforamilitary. Seriously, imagine for a second all the amazing things we could have accomplished if we didn't spend time and resources killing each other, not to mention the ideas and work the people we are killing could have had/done.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
Quote by Avedas

Fucking military.

Gotta think about money, though, right? Military funding goes to more than just weapons. Granted its not being marketed for anything but military application atm, but maybe we'll get lucky and someone'll steer it in a different direction

Honestly though, with these and the Manhacks, we're pretty darn close to being able to handle aliens...

Edit: v Manhacks are those goddamn flying spinny bladed things from Half-Life. The quadrocopter things look sorta like them.
Last edited by halo43 at Sep 26, 2010,
What is a manhack?
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
Quote by The_Sophist
I'm pro-military. I'm anti-theneedforamilitary. Seriously, imagine for a second all the amazing things we could have accomplished if we didn't spend time and resources killing each other, not to mention the ideas and work the people we are killing could have had/done.

This is true. I do indeed support this point.
Quote by The_Sophist
What is a manhack?

Very small UAV's from Half Life 2 that have blades for rotors and will fuck your shit right up yo.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
God damnit I need to buy that game, it's one of the classics I just kind of never played.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
In my opinion, if you start a war you should be prepared to accept the consequences - loss of life. Technology like this just makes it easier for politicians to start wars and cause more oppression for smaller, poorer nations.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Last edited by Andrewbiles at Sep 26, 2010,
HI THERE I AM A REAL SPARTAN FROM HALO FROM 32,000 MILLINIUM ONLY DIFFERENT IS OUR INTERNAL MMEMORY DRIVES ARE OPERATING AT TRILLIONS TIMES FASTER THEN THE SPEED OF LIGHT AND HAVE INSTANT COMUNICATIONS WITH OUR HALO RINGS

One of the comments on that link.
So the armor itself is around 20kilos That's just the Armor itself not counting the weapons and ammunitions you are carrying + other equipment then the heat ontop of that.

Sounds good on paper but in reality. (WTF really)
If You See Me Posting In The Pit HIT ME.
Quote by KingJak236
My hamster used to bite me when I picked it up, then it got too old and fat to bite and died in a pool of it's own vomit.

Quote by Kensai
That's the rockstar way to go. I salute him.
Last edited by Nexium at Sep 26, 2010,
Quote by Andrewbiles
In my opinion, if you start a war you should be prepared to accept the consequences - loss of life. Technology like this just makes it easier for politicians to start wars and cause more oppression for smaller, poorer nations.

Well what if you're not the one that starts the war?
Quote by denfilade
Well what if you're not the one that starts the war?

If you're coming up with stuff like this, you're the one that's going to start the wars.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Quote by Andrewbiles
If you're coming up with stuff like this, you're the one that's going to start the wars.

Not necessarily. Nuclear weapons for example.
Can we make them look like storm troopers instead of master chief? storm troopers look cooler and more intimidating in my opinion
Quote by jibran
I go to the pit only to just look at your creepy perverted username.

My Tumblr
Yeah, cause afghanistan isn't hot enough.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
To be fair, 40 lbs isn't that much, considering it's distributed across the whole body. Chainmail vests weigh around that and the weight there is only on the shoulders. It would just take a while to get used to.
🙈 🙉 🙊
$2000? Yeah right

This is your standard armour
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interceptor_body_armor

President George W. Bush’s $87 billion package that Congress approved for ongoing operations in Afghanistan and Iraq, $300 million has been earmarked for body armor, including the ceramic plates, which currently cost about $500 each. A complete Interceptor system costs $1,585.

How adorable. There's even a tiny pee-hole

Quote by denfilade
Not necessarily. Nuclear weapons for example.

I doubt it could take a nuclear bomb
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Last edited by Cianyx at Sep 26, 2010,
Quote by Cianyx
I doubt it could take a nuclear bomb

I'm pretty sure he's saying that since the US has nuclear technology it hasn't stopped us from starting wars. So this wouldn't either.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
Quote by entity0009
To be fair, 40 lbs isn't that much, considering it's distributed across the whole body. Chainmail vests weigh around that and the weight there is only on the shoulders. It would just take a while to get used to.

Chainmail was used to protect against slashing attacks from Swords etc,they did not fully protect from Arrows or Maces/hammers.

Theres more to it then just protecting against penetration,i could smash ''someone'' in the chest whit a standard baseball bat sure i didn't break any skin yet, you would still die from internal bleeding.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mail_%28armour%29

And Body armor i think would be a situational choice,were you think it would be necessarily worth carrying extra weight compared to have/some extra mobility and more fire power/equipment capacity.
If You See Me Posting In The Pit HIT ME.
Quote by KingJak236
My hamster used to bite me when I picked it up, then it got too old and fat to bite and died in a pool of it's own vomit.

Quote by Kensai
That's the rockstar way to go. I salute him.
Quote by Nexium
Chainmail was used to protect against slashing attacks from Swords etc,they did not fully protect from Arrows or Maces/hammers.

Theres more to it then just protecting against penetration,i could smash ''someone'' in the chest whit a standard baseball bat sure i didn't break any skin yet, you would still die from internal bleeding.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mail_%28armour%29

And Body armor i think would be a situational choice,were you think it would be necessarily worth carrying extra weight compared to have/some extra mobility and more fire power/equipment capacity.

I know, but my point was, if people back then could run around with 40lbs on their shoulders waving swords at each other, I'm sure people can run around today with 40lbs pointing guns at each other
🙈 🙉 🙊
But, as we've seen with practically everything man-made on the planet, once a technology is invented it's only a matter of time before it can be reproduced smaller and lighter.
Quote by ozzyismetal
Neopowell, that's because you are a pumped-up sex offender.
Quote by Kensai
You're exactly the kind of person who'd have sex in a bar drunk
Quote by Zero-Hartman
You're a terrible, terrible man. This is a new middle for you.

I write things. You can read them.Essay on UK student riots