Here is me again, with another technique question.
I watched a lot of guides on alternate picking, and I can't seem to figure out exactly what I should do with my right hand (besides pick up and down)
Most guides seem to make it seem as if I'm alternate picking without palm muting, I'm doing something wrong? But I didn't think all songs would require palm muting.

I've also heard of anchoring your pinky below your high-e string and keeping your hand off the strings. The pinky is supposed to give some sort of base I suppose?

And is alternate picking one of those things that you just have to be naturally good at? Or is it one of those things that should come with practice?

-Thanks in advanced.
Yamaha Dreadnaught
Agile Al-2000
Vox VT15
Alternate picking is probably one of THE main techniques you'll need to practice to be competent at. Don't expect any super-fast results, just keep at it.

As for the pinky as a base, there are players who do it, but it's much safer, and I feel more comfortable to not have any part of your hand anchored to one spot on the guitar. It'll feel a bit uneasy at first, but once you get the hang of it, you'll be glad your hand isn't restricted!
Not a huge fan of bees
Quote by Gelato
Alternate picking is probably one of THE main techniques you'll need to practice to be competent at. Don't expect any super-fast results, just keep at it.

As for the pinky as a base, there are players who do it, but it's much safer, and I feel more comfortable to not have any part of your hand anchored to one spot on the guitar. It'll feel a bit uneasy at first, but once you get the hang of it, you'll be glad your hand isn't restricted!

Thank you for the response.
So you're saying that you prefer to have no anchor? Because the way I used to play (all down strokes) i never used any anchor, so I guess that would feel more natural.
Does this also mean that I don't have to palm mute to alternate pick?
Yamaha Dreadnaught
Agile Al-2000
Vox VT15
Quote by CasualRG
Thank you for the response.
So you're saying that you prefer to have no anchor? Because the way I used to play (all down strokes) i never used any anchor, so I guess that would feel more natural.
Does this also mean that I don't have to palm mute to alternate pick?

You palm mute when you need to. it makes no difference whether you're alternate picking or not.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
I don't anchor either, but I've seen guys kick ass w/ that pinky thing. Then again I've seen guys who do equally well without.
I actually palm mute the strings directly below (above) the one I'm picking on when I'm picking unmuted notes. This happened unconciously as the technique developed. Helps guide pickhand and keeps extraneous open string noise at bay. The muted 3 per string approach sounds cool too, though. The Gilbert thing.
Quote by Junior#1
You palm mute when you need to. it makes no difference whether you're alternate picking or not.

Very simple concept, but you'd be surprised at how much you just cleared up for me.
Every video I watched said something along the lines of "In order to start alternate picking put your hand on the strings in front of your bridge to palm mute"
I'm like
"mmhm"
Yamaha Dreadnaught
Agile Al-2000
Vox VT15
Question not related to alternate picking, but I dnt wanna start anew thread

Would it be counter productive totry to learn asong above my level? Its not too much above my level , but its a bit difficult. It would be agood idea to practice asong tht might take a few weeks to get right? Rather than the ones I've been learning that takes an hour maybe

The song is velorium camper I faint of hearts by Co&Ca .I think if I can learn the whole song it'd be a good test of ability.
Yamaha Dreadnaught
Agile Al-2000
Vox VT15
Learning a song you can't play is the fastest way to develop. Learning songs you can play within hours won't really help you progress.
Quote by Athabasca
My ex did the same. Cheated on me and then acted like I'd given her sister a facial. Women are retarded.
Quote by CasualRG
Question not related to alternate picking, but I dnt wanna start anew thread

Would it be counter productive totry to learn asong above my level? Its not too much above my level , but its a bit difficult. It would be agood idea to practice asong tht might take a few weeks to get right? Rather than the ones I've been learning that takes an hour maybe

The song is velorium camper I faint of hearts by Co&Ca .I think if I can learn the whole song it'd be a good test of ability.

It depends on how much above your level it is. I'm not too familiar with that song (I mostly just know their Good Apollo/Burning Star albums) so I can't really say anything about it. But from my experience with Coheed, most of their songs make a difficult sightread, but after a bit of practice they come together. Keep at it. But if you just can't seem to get it, it might be good to take a break from it for a while. Use your own judgment about it.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.