Good afternoon.This is one of my first posts.So,here goes:
I have recently bought a Dean Edge-1 bass(4 strings-Dean soapbar pu's),but its sound is a little metal for me.Apart from this,the bass is superb for its money(120&euro.
I was thinking of trading it with a Squier J or P bass.Would this be a good move or the Squier basses are not to be trusted?
I play mostly psychedelic rock or funk(they don't match,I know).Which bass would be more appropiate?(J-bass,P-bass or J/P-bass)?
I am not thinking about other brands(Ibanez,Warwick etc),just Squier(since I don't have the money for a real Fender ).
Thnks everyone,in advance..
I would suggest keeping the dean and saving your money for a fender standard.
CAPITALISM
Quote by diofan88
Naked with a bowl of cereal with headphones.
Those affinity Series squiers are pretty nice. I'd take em over the Fender Standards although I would recommend swapping pickups with either.
Schecter C-1+
Crestwood Strat Copy (Modded Single Humbucker)
OLP MM2
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Ampeg B25B
Ampeg SVT 15e
RCG Doubleneck #1
^ WHAT!

Squier affinity > ANY Fender?

No man, no. Get a Squire VM, dont even look at the affinity.
pinga
^This, a VM would be an ENORMOUS improvement. But if you don't have any real means of saving money and you can get an even trade, I've owned that particular Dean and I think even an Affinity J would be somewhat better.
Quote by MightyAl
Back in my day, the teacher had to come to my tribe's village and inspect my cave-paintings in person.
For some reason, he thought the bison I painted was his mother, and gave me an F.

It wasn't my fault they look so similar.
Quote by TheBadPlace
^This, a VM would be an ENORMOUS improvement. But if you don't have any real means of saving money and you can get an even trade, I've owned that particular Dean and I think even an Affinity J would be somewhat better.

That's what I'm afraid ,that my Dean is worse than an Affiny (J or P) bass..much worse
Last edited by hadgideus at Sep 26, 2010,
Quote by hadgideus
That's what I'm afraid ,that my Dean is worse than an Affiny (J or P) bass..much worse

I would say the biggest difference between that dean and an affinity is the body wood.
that dean uses basswood (softwood) and the affinity's use alder (hardwood) i find i least like the softwoods. also with the affinity's i find the build quality better then the inexpensive deans. with all that said the squier vintage modified will blow that dean out of the water, while imo the affinity will have a slightly better tone and construction material.
Quote by Alucard817
I would say the biggest difference between that dean and an affinity is the body wood.
that dean uses basswood (softwood) and the affinity's use alder (hardwood)

Wrong. It's easily dented, but basswood is a hardwood.

Basswood in general has better sustain than alder, plus has a bit more midrange to it. Then again, with all woods, you get different grades, so you will find some alder that has more sustain and midrange than basswood, and vice versa.
Go to a store and try a Squier. If you like the feel more than the Dean, do the trade (if you can get a straight across trade). If not, keep your Dean and save for a more intermediate-level bass. Neither the Dean nor the Squier are going to be particularly great basses, Deans as a whole and Affinity Squier's have some rather troublesome quality control issues.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
It's me again and I'm in a kind of dilemma.
A guy offered me 180€(~$200)for my bass(dean edge1 for those who won't read the whole thread :P).
Should I go for it and with an extra $30 buy a new Affinity P(or J) Bass?
Quote by hadgideus
It's me again and I'm in a kind of dilemma.
A guy offered me 180€(~$200)for my bass(dean edge1 for those who won't read the whole thread :P).
Should I go for it and with an extra $30 buy a new Affinity P(or J) Bass?

Hell yea. You've been offered a good amount of money for it, take it. Can you test out the Squiers before purchasing them?
@Micehorns:I guess I can,but I'm not an experienced bassist to know the difference.
Do you think the squiers are a lot better than my dean in matter of construction?
TBH if your not happy with the dean, and you have a decent offer, id take it and go hunting for something your happy with.

I've seen some awesome squiers and some shockingly bad ones. I spend alot of my time in a range of music stores. My local recently got in a squier tele and I was amazed at how well constructed and perfect the neck on it was, Im not sure what series it was but it was similar priced to the others i was picking up to compare it with.

P/J basses are always a good start for anyone in search of the perfect weapon, even if it is a temporary fill in for a few years till u can fork out the cash for your hearts desire.

Pretty much what im saying is theres always a gem sitting out there waiting to be picked up cheap, If you play the ones at your local store but it doesnt satisfy you dont feel pressured. Just make sure you can jam on it and really you like the feel of it and theres nothing that will itch later on that will make you wanna trade it any time soon.
While still to waiting to sell my Dean for 180 euros(I found s'ome interested),I found a Yamaha RBX270 for trade.Should I go for that,or the Yamahas aren't reliable and it wouldn't be an upgrade to my gear?
The Yamaha would be a nice upgrade. Yamaha makes great basses, and while it's not the biggest upgrade, the RBX270 is nonetheless a step up from a Dean Edge.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Anything of any other brand is a step up from anything Dean.

Yeah, I hate Dean.
pinga
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Wrong. It's easily dented, but basswood is a hardwood.

Basswood in general has better sustain than alder, plus has a bit more midrange to it. Then again, with all woods, you get different grades, so you will find some alder that has more sustain and midrange than basswood, and vice versa.

I always thought basswood was supposed to be more or less tonally neutral?
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by consecutive e
I always thought basswood was supposed to be more or less tonally neutral?

Slightly. It does have a midrange bump to it though. It doesn't colour as much as, say, mahogany or maple does.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.