What are some ways that I could learn how to notate what I'm playing on guitar? I was listening to Charlie by RHCP, and I noticed that the end of Charlie has some really nice counterpoint. As far as writing a song, it seems like it would help a ton if I knew where I'm landing on the beats, having rests, etc, if i wanted to write a melody/counterpoint. So how improve this skill of writing down what i'm hearing or playing?

Thanks in advance!
"The most important thing about music is energy and emotion, not how well you can play. Technique should be a tool to achieve your vision, not the other way around."
-Jeff Tuttle

More guitar, less ultimate-guitar!
Well if you know how to read [treble in this case] clef, and you know what note you're playing... then...
Just do it.

Start out with really stupid things little like nursery rhymes and eventually you progress in being able to identify more advanced constructs (count the beat in smaller subdivisions if you have trouble with the rhythm notation)
but how do i know if theyre right?
"The most important thing about music is energy and emotion, not how well you can play. Technique should be a tool to achieve your vision, not the other way around."
-Jeff Tuttle

More guitar, less ultimate-guitar!
Quote by biker521
but how do i know if theyre right?

If you still aren't 100% sure you got it right you can write it back into your choice of notation software (I think theres a free version of Finale or something....or just use Powertab or Guitarpro) and the computer can play it back to you the way its written