Page 1 of 2
so guys, i got a job in the NHS (not as a doctor or surgeon or something awesome like that, just as a clerical officer) and after being on the dole for 18 months and not being able to afford new guitar stuff, i will now as i'm going to start getting money!

i'll eventually buy a new fender tele as i'm GAS-ing for one of them at the moment but priority one is a new amp.
i've been playing through a MG15DFX for a few years and i NEEEEEED a new amp.
i was looking in a local guitar shop yesterday, just browsing through the tele's i'm eventually going to get, when i seen a load of used amps in the corner and realised that one of them would be a more viable purchase than a new guitar. seen a line6 spider head and cab for £249.99 for both and thought it's not bad as a buy but i've heard bad things about line6 spiders so it's on the list, just low down. and there's only one on the list so far.

my budget is £400 max. which i know isn't that much for a head and cab but i'll only be using it for bedroom playing and jamming with a few friends.

i play mainly blues, think john mayer, SRV, jimi hendrix, but i'm eclectic, usually also play clean, heavy but not metal... something like muse and white stripes aswell. so yeh, i need an amp with acceptable cleans that can also be lightly distorted for blues. i've got a few pedals (crybaby, overdrive, distortion, chorus at the moment too but can change - behringer FX600)

any suggestions guys? and WILL consider used. (and won't be paid til the end of next month so can't buy right now)

thanks in advance

-JD
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
doesn't necessarily have to be a valve amp. and ideally would like a head and cab not a combo. but would consider one.
u want a head and cab for playing in ur room and jamming? Pretty sure a combo sounds alot more reasonable.

And u may as well get a nice valve amp now so that the new tele sounds good when u get it

The VC30 is a nice amp

Toodles!
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- late 70's vintage Fender Stratocaster (USA)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
- Visual Sound Volume Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
Hayden Mofo, 30W with a 2W mode for practive. Perfect sounds for what you wanna play. And a decent cab to go with it.
If you want to pay less there's a mini Mofo, 15W/2W version.
Yeah, the Hayden mini mofo and a decent 1x12 cab seems like a decent set up for you.
You can get the head for £250, pick up an epiphone valve junior 1x12 cab for £99, sorted.
gear
Fender highway 1 tele
v
Korg pitchblck
Zoom Uf-01
EHX Big Muff
EHX Russian Muff
Made By Mike fender blender
Mi Audio Crunch box
Malekko Ekko 616
Ibanez CS9
BYOC Flange
v
Fender 75

welsh?

FOR SALE: PEDALS
heads and cabs are great if you can get a good one, and also if they're aimed at the music you're playing... srv and mayer would probably be better served by a combo, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
@denthul - dunno, just like the look of head and cabs and i've got a MASSIVE space in my room that needs filling. my MG15DFX looks like a speck in the corner atm. just need something to fill the space lol

@julzius - i see your point, how are fender valve amps? i've heard different opinions about them? (that ques not just to you, its open)

@PRSfanatic - cheers, will have a look into them. was thinking fo something around 25w anyway so would probs go for the 30W one. and then a used cab or something.
@friji - will have a look at them. cheers!

@dave_Mc - cheers, will look more at combos then, i was always under the impression head&cabs were much better quality but i guess i'm wrong.
depends on what you want to play, really.

the vht special 6 is kinda fendery and is available in a head and cab... you could consider it. it's low wattage, and is very vintage voiced, so it's a bit of a one-trick pony. Or you could maybe consider the rat-modded version...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
just had a look through GAK and stumbled upon a Fender FM212DSP (review: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/guitar_amplifiers/fender/fm_212_dsp/index.html) for £250. other than the review on UG, anyone else got any input on it? seems decent but most of my guitars have humbuckers atm (ibanez GRG170DX, dean vendetta 1.0, 335 replica) but also have a fender strat and soon a tele but the comments say that this amp isnt very good with humbuckers. so anyone got anything else to say about this? thanks a lot!!!!
^They have decent cleans, but you'd be better off with a hot rod or blues jr if you want nice cleans.

Or as said before the laney VC15/VC30

Quality not quantity, whats the point having a really big/high wattage amp that sounds shit when you can have a pretty loud amp more suitable for home playing that sounds great.
i suppose. and it's the cleans i'm after really, i'll use my pedals for effects. i'll have a look around and see if i can get one of them for under £400. what'd be a good used price for one of them?
Both the VC15/VC30 will be under £400 used. The VC30 is £400 ish new. The bj is £370 new and the hot rod is about £570.

The hot rod/bj has more jangle to the cleans than the laneys, but the laneys are warmer.
when you say john mayer and SRV type stuff and blues at a bedroom(ish) volume, my first thought is for a blues junior. should be under 400GBP and i think the thing sounds great. the laney vc stuff is supposed to be nice too, though i havent tried it (and is a better deal in the UK).
what about those fame clones? i haven't tried it, but the fame gta15 is supposedly very close to a fender pro junior (if anything, with better parts). Might be worth considering. They also have a 40 watt version (not sure if it's a clone of anything) if you want more headroom. Only problem with musicstore, I think, is that while postage is free to the UK, I think you have to pay to return it even if it's faulty (as opposed to thomann who, as far as i'm aware, will cover return postage if the thing is faulty). And shipping an amp back to germany would be extremely expensive.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
the blues jr. is a good shout, i just want something with a bit more power than 15W. ideally something between 25 and 50.
Quote by Dave_Mc
what about those fame clones? i haven't tried it, but the fame gta15 is supposedly very close to a fender pro junior (if anything, with better parts). Might be worth considering. They also have a 40 watt version (not sure if it's a clone of anything) if you want more headroom. Only problem with musicstore, I think, is that while postage is free to the UK, I think you have to pay to return it even if it's faulty (as opposed to thomann who, as far as i'm aware, will cover return postage if the thing is faulty). And shipping an amp back to germany would be extremely expensive.

I can confirm Thomann do cover postage on returns of faulty goods, although I did have to push a little to get it. I was sent a dhl prepaid sticker in the end.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
ah thanks. Yeah I mean I don't mind pushing if I have to, but I mean it'd be nice to get it without pushing. I mean I've spent over £1000 with them (and am perfectly willing to spend more if they look after me right).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
so to clarify, does thomann ship to england?? and is their postage cheap? because the stuff on that site is absolute bargain prices and it seems too good to be true.
how long would it take to be delivered too?
They do post to England, I'm pretty sure postage is free over like £200 or something and my friend recieved his Framus 2x12 cabinet from there within a week or so I believe.

*Edit* Just checked - He said no longer than a working week.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Last edited by Yngwi3 at Sep 29, 2010,
avoid SS amps at all costs. that's my motto. for blues you could get vox, fender, laney. hell, jet city too. you've got options for tube at you're price range. i advise to not get a SS amp. also advise you to go with a combo too.
Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
^ oh hey y'all females...welcome !
oh yeah thomann ships to the UK, no problem. postage is free on anything over 200 euro. about a week, i guess, would be the usual delivery time. EDIT: any amp you buy from there will have a german plug- you just need to get a UK kettle lead (with the same fuse rating, ideally) and it'll work fine.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 29, 2010,
excellent! thanks for your help and advice guys.

looking at a vox AC30 at the moment but also seen a few others i like
Bugera BC32-212
fender super champ XD
Vox VT50

my list changes daily!!!!
it's getting annoying because no way can i test out ALL the amps i've liked the look of in a day, or even a week, there's nowhere round here with that much of a selection (round here being Liverpool city centre) =[
Congrats on the job, hopefully you can start edging towards your dream gear.
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
Squier Classic Bibe Telecaster Thinline
Quote by Dempsey68

Bugera BC32-212
fender super champ XD
Vox VT50

it's getting annoying because no way can i test out ALL the amps i've liked the look of in a day, or even a week, there's nowhere round here with that much of a selection (round here being Liverpool city centre) =[

I thought it was illegal to ship explosives internationally...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I thought it was illegal to ship explosives internationally...

eh??? explain...

do they have a habit of blowing up in your face or something?
You really need to stop scaring people, Dave!
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
http://www.pmtonline.co.uk/pmtonline/?st=78092 there you go im assuming by your useof £'s that your a UK'er so a treck to birmingham shan't be too bad pretty sure they'd deliver it to your nearest one if you needed
Amps:
Orange Rocker 30
Marshall JCM 800 1960 4x12
Guitars:
Ibanez SAS32EXFM White
Epiphone SG G400
Pedals:
Boss SD-1
Boss GE-7
Behringer TU-300

www.myspace.com/oceansatealaska
Quote by Dempsey68

Bugera BC32-212
fender super champ XD
Vox VT50

Music shops in liverpool had a decent selection irc. Dolphin/Dawsons? They had a much better selection than i get in chester. Not like everything, but it isnt stocked to the ceilings with MGs and spiders.
Quote by beckyjc
Music shops in liverpool had a decent selection irc. Dolphin/Dawsons? They had a much better selection than i get in chester. Not like everything, but it isnt stocked to the ceilings with MGs and spiders.
Did you run out of there screaming? Since, you know, girls are afraid of spiders?
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

if you want a halfstack
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-Tube-Screamer-Series-TSA15H-Amp-Head-and-TSA112C-1x12-Half-Stack?sku=423749

played one a few days ago, absolutely brilliant. Set up kinda like some orange amps (no mid nob) but has absolutely awesome distortion. fits in your category well. And if you ever play some more classic rock stuff, when you get this thing really going you can pull some epic AC/DC tones. Also there is a way to do 15 watt/5watt. the store had it set at 15, and it could be quiet, but sounded the best when cranked a little. Also tube, which is a plus.

the only problem i could see is availability in the UK, but thats it.

edit: best review/sound recording of this amp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNeO0KplI-M
Survivor of:
Maryland Deathfest X
Maryland Deathfest XI
Maryland Deathfest XII
Last edited by rushpython at Sep 30, 2010,
Quote by Kanthras
You really need to stop scaring people, Dave!

what score do i get for that one?

I was just kidding about the bugera, Dempsey68. They had a bit of a reputation for being unreliable and going on fire; supposedly that's improved a lot, but whether they're as reliable as higher-end stuff yet, I dunno.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

what score do i get for that one?
-5/10, for being a total meanie.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dave_Mc - lol yeh i was worried a bit there. but i haven't heard anything lately so didn't really know.

josh_salty - i could get to birmingham yeh, just don't really fancy lugging an amp back on the train, then hiking to mine from there.

rushpython - probably can get it, just stupidly expensive

beckyjc - oh granted they're much better than music shops in chester, but they only have a couple of amps, the rest they have to order in which involves me paying, and then can't test them out so there'd be no point doing that! dawsons has more amps than dolphin but they're either £2000 full stacks or marshall MG100's or something i don't want. there was one amp in the shop i was looking at, and wanted, then when i asked about the availibility the guy just said "oh thats the shop amp, its not for sale." so why the heck is it on display!
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Page 1 of 2