I have an Ibanez IJX121, and tomorrow, i am buying two Dimarzio pickups at guitar center, the Crunch Lab and Liquifire, the same ones John Petrucci uses. Should I get regular spaced or f-spaced? My Ibanez has a hardtail bridge, no trem arm.
Ibanez IJX121
Last edited by PunkGuitaristx at Sep 26, 2010,
I think that guitar would take F-Spaced pickups even though it's not a floyd as said ^
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Regular then.
Wait....is it a blocked FR bridge?

No, regular, standard, fixed hardtail.
Ibanez IJX121
It makes no difference. The F spacing thing is a nice marketing tool thats about it.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Quote by Bhaok
It makes no difference. The F spacing thing is a nice marketing tool thats about it.

this isnt really true. the string spacing is different on F-spaced and non-f-spaced bridges, so the pickup is adjusted to compensate.

i tried to do a bit of quick research and didnt find what i needed. if you cant find a solid answer, i would call/email ibanez and ask them. best way to get an accurate answer.
Quote by jof1029
this isnt really true. the string spacing is different on F-spaced and non-f-spaced bridges, so the pickup is adjusted to compensate.

i tried to do a bit of quick research and didnt find what i needed. if you cant find a solid answer, i would call/email ibanez and ask them. best way to get an accurate answer.

I know what it is and it is hype.....look at magnetic fields how a pick up works. The placement of the pole pieces are not going to have as much effect as you might think. There were no F spaced humbuckers until what the mid-late 80's and a shitload of strats had buckers in them. I stand by what is said. It is marketing hype.
Bhaok

i know how a magnetic field pickup works, which is why i think it does make a difference. how much that difference translates into something most people will hear/notice is up for debate, but using properly spaced pickups is the better option IMO. its not like one costs more than the other anyway.

and just because stuff was done at one point in time doesnt mean it is right or the best way.
Quote by jof1029
i know how a magnetic field pickup works, which is why i think it does make a difference. how much that difference translates into something most people will hear/notice is up for debate, but using properly spaced pickups is the better option IMO. its not like one costs more than the other anyway.

and just because stuff was done at one point in time doesnt mean it is right or the best way.

Magnetic field is proportional to 1/r^2 where r is distance from magnetic pole. So even a small difference will have a pretty big impact on volume and gain. Try palm muting with the pickup slightly raised, with distortion. It will sound more chunky. At least, my LTD does....
ya riiight.
Bhaok

Quote by Bhaok
I know what it is and it is hype.....look at magnetic fields how a pick up works. The placement of the pole pieces are not going to have as much effect as you might think. There were no F spaced humbuckers until what the mid-late 80's and a shitload of strats had buckers in them. I stand by what is said. It is marketing hype.

Wrong.

F-spaced pickups came out several years before the Floyd Rose was created, and that didn't come out until the late 1970's. F-spacing was done in the early- and mid-70's when engineers noticed the E strings were outside the regular spacing, which does cause sound issues.

Besides, if it was just marketing hype, why would they sell them at the same price?
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
If it's a fixed bridge, you should get normal spacing.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
save your money for a better guitar.

seriously, your guitar wont really benefit from those pickups, if your after the JP tone your better off saving for a Mesa...

I dont mean to be a dick but your guitar is worth less than those PUPs..

Also it will be F spaced you need.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Well, at least the bot tried to contribute to this old thread.
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
as has been said measure whats on the guitar, and even if the pickups are worth more, he can always take them back out and put them in another guitar at a later date.