Hi, my band have decided to get a demo together. Should we just use our own songs on the demo or can we put a cover song on there aswell as?

Cheers,
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
As long as you are not selling the demo, and handing them out for free. You can pass them out with the cover song on there.

What is the cover song?
Just use originals. You want to show off your own work, not someone elses.
I would think you should just use originals, since record labels want to hear new material that shows off what your own band sounds like.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day
Put originals on the demo CD so that record labels and people know what ‘your band’sounds like.You could put in a cover but that would just defeat the purpose of a demo CD for your band.
Ok, Thank you everyone.

Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Quote by Zach101
Just use originals. You want to show off your own work, not someone elses.

+1
Also, don't forget that if you want to sell your demo, you'll have to worry about paying royalities to whoever you cover...NOT something you can afford to do right now!
Everyone here needs to take another look at Chris's copyright thread. Even if you're giving away your demo for free, you STILL have to pay royalties. Whether you're selling it or not is irrelevant.

As for the actual question, in almost all cases, I would stick to originals.
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
Thanks, BlackStar. And just to add, it's not *that* expensive. If you put one cover on a demo CD and make 100 discs... it will only cost you about $80.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by Black Star
Everyone here needs to take another look at Chris's copyright thread. Even if you're giving away your demo for free, you STILL have to pay royalties. Whether you're selling it or not is irrelevant.

As for the actual question, in almost all cases, I would stick to originals.

ok. Thanks for the info, will definately stick with originals now.
Quote by Kensai

Sums up whisky perfectly