Hi there.

There is a fairly cheap THD Hot Plate 16 ohm for sale near me. But is it possible to use that Hot Plate with an amp and a cap with 8 ohm or maybe 4 ohm?

My current amp can do 16 ohm but I will be getting a new amp some day. So it would be quite inconvenient if I had to buy a new Hot Plate in order to crank another amp.

P.S. I don't know if this topic have been discussed but I couldn't find anything about it(Maybe I wasn't looking hard enough)
I could be wrong here, but I believe that the Hot Plates have different boxes for different ohms. Which one are you considering buying?
Call me Andrew. It's my name.

Quote by theogonia777
i fond God too, man! i sat next to him on the bus once. he told be the meaning of life and then gave me a pretzel. i can't remember what the meaning of live was, but it was a good pretzel, man!
Look into Weber's attenuators.

http://www.tedweber.com/atten.htm

Better, IMO, and cheaper. plus, it can handle multiple impedences.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Sep 26, 2010,
I don't think a Weber is that much cheaper in Denmark because of the shipping from US is not cheap at all.
But I'm not looking at Weber since I have been offered a Hot Plate at a fairly low price compared to normal price.

Thanks for input though.
no, it's not a good idea to mix your impedances with an attenuator.

Weber's design is much better, or you could get fancy with a Faustine, but if you pick up a 16ohm hotplate, you had better be running it from a 16 ohm speaker out and into a 16ohm cab.
Grisky:
What is so fancy about a Faustine?

I am currently running 16 ohm at both my amp and cab, so I guess it is not a problem. I was being curious it.
^^ Actually the speaker impedance doesn't matter very much after the attenuator, since the amp's OT "sees" the impedance of the Hotplate.

There's a rather long thread about it on TGP, but I'm too lazy to look it up.

Edit: Never mind, here's a quote from it:

Quote by 908ssp
As long as the amp matches the attenuator and you don't bypass the attenuator the impedance will be closer than you might think. At the most minimum attenuation level -3db using an amp set at 8 ohms and using an 8 ohm attenuator and a 16 ohm cab your amp will see less than 12 ohms. At -6db the amp will see 10 ohms, at -9 db it will see 9 ohms, at -12db it will see 8.5 ohms nearly a perfect match with a 16 ohm cab. The math works the opposite way as well so if you use a 16 ohm attenuator and the amp set to 16 ohms and an 8 ohm speaker with the attenuator set at -3db the amp sees 12db. At -6db the amp will see 14 ohm, at -9 it will be 15 ohms, at -12 it will see -15.5 ohms and the farther you turn the volume down the closer it gets to 16 ohms. The reason is the attenuator is taking a larger and larger percentage of the load as the volume is turned down and it gets closer and closer to 16 ohm. Another thing to remember that the impedance rating is not fixed it fluctuates. That rating is arbitrary for comparison purposes. And only reads the rated impedance at 400hz. The actual impedance fluctuates from 6 to 80 ohms on a 16 ohm speaker depending on the frequency. Now what is important about this is the amp is constantly affected by this altering impedance and that is what is meant by a reactive load and why a reactive load sounds much more natural than a resistive load. And why the UA or HO attenuator uses a resistive load of 30 ohms trying to get an impedance that sounds closer to the average then most resistive loads typically do.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by WhineX
Grisky:
What is so fancy about a Faustine?

I am currently running 16 ohm at both my amp and cab, so I guess it is not a problem. I was being curious it.

do a google search for "reactive load"