My band has finally decided to take our sound to towards ska, what we originally wanted. However, My amp (Line 6 Spider III) can only take me so far. It's a good starter amp, but not what I'm looking for in he end. I want a decent tube amp that can provide good clean tones. But I have a budget of $400 tops. Any suggestions? Thanks.
I called myself Joe Strummer 'cos I could either play all six strings at once, or none of them at all.

-Joe Strummer

She had to go 'cos she didn't know who Joe Strummer was.
Save another $200.00 and get a Vox AC15.
Fender American Standard Stratocaster/Seymour Duncan Hot Rails
Seagull Rustic
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
MXR GT-OD
MXR Distortion III
MJM London Fuzz
EHX Big Muff
Get a used JC120 and a decent dirt pedal, like a Seymour Duncan twin tube or a Fulltone OCD.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
a tube amp for $400 is a bit of a stretch unless its a smaller one. if you can find a used Marshall AVT you should look into it. its out of production so search the internets. its half tube and half solid state, and you can get some really nice tones out of it. i use it with my band and we play a little bit of everything (mainly pop-punk, but i love ska so we jam on it all the time) and its pretty versatile so its definitely got some bang for your buck.
I'd rather have a dirty shirt and a guitar than a clean shirt and no music.

Turn my amp up to 11 six nickel-wound strings have saved me again.

music + food + beer= the good life
Quote by NJAtrophy
a tube amp for $400 is a bit of a stretch unless its a smaller one. if you can find a used Marshall AVT you should look into it. its out of production so search the internets. its half tube and half solid state, and you can get some really nice tones out of it. i use it with my band and we play a little bit of everything (mainly pop-punk, but i love ska so we jam on it all the time) and its pretty versatile so its definitely got some bang for your buck.

Ew. No.
Look for a used Line 6 Flextone.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
I second the L6 Flextone if you're willing to go with a modeler.

However, I would look at a used Fender Hot Rod or something like that if you want a tube amp.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Actually I'll suggest a Peavey Classic 30 as well.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
+1 on the Peavey Classic 30.
It can get some great Ska tones.

Also Fender voiced amps are great for ska, but in this price-range a Fender amp may be a bit far off.
Quote by darkarbiter7
I second the L6 Flextone if you're willing to go with a modeler.

However, I would look at a used Fender Hot Rod or something like that if you want a tube amp.

+1

Maybe a Fender Pro Junior / Blues Junior if it has to be new.
Quote by Jhachey22
Get a used JC120 and a decent dirt pedal, like a Seymour Duncan twin tube or a Fulltone OCD.

end this thread. My JC-120 was fantastic for ska. Seriously. You won't be disappointed. You can find one used for $300-$400 easy.
Go Bugera v22
Rigz.
SX Furrian
Eastwood Mandocaster
Bugera v55
DigiTech DL8
Boss BD-2
Dean Markley Tuner
Ebow

Gear Hitlist:
2x12 Cab
I'm not sure how much things go for used in the US.

But either a Fender HotRod Deluxe or a Peavey Classic 30 would be perfect.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
JC-120 all the way best ska amp IMO
Pissing people off since 1987

ESP/LTD MH 401 Stop tail
ESP/LTD MH 401 Floyd Rose
IBANEZ AM93 TKS
Rivera KnuckleHead Reverb
ISP Decimator
MXR KFK-1 10 Band EQ
The JC-120 seems to be a bit out of my range, but I have found multiple listing for Fender Blues Juniors and Hot Rod Deluxes. I know they're more for the blues kind of music, but can you get pretty good ska cleans out of either of them?
I called myself Joe Strummer 'cos I could either play all six strings at once, or none of them at all.

-Joe Strummer

Fender amps are used in blues music quite a lot, but they're just amps. That's like saying "I don't want a Peavey 6505 cos I don't play detah metal" or something.

They're very good for Ska, mainly as Fender are known for their great clean sound, and what do you need in Ska? A great clean sound!

Fender amps are definitely a good way to go for Ska.
Quote by Ziggy of Mars
The JC-120 seems to be a bit out of my range, but I have found multiple listing for Fender Blues Juniors and Hot Rod Deluxes. I know they're more for the blues kind of music, but can you get pretty good ska cleans out of either of them?

Yes, they do ska easily. I think the Hot Rod Deluxe should be just right for you.
If all you really want is cleans, then grab up a Hot Rod.

The dirt channel is pretty meh, but with that budget, it's probably the best ska amp unless you get shit lucky and find a JC or amp of the like for a steal on Craigslist.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
you can find used JC120s or one of their variants for $400-$500 all the time.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
How is a Peavey Classic 30 for ska? Can one get good clean tones out of it?

-Joe Strummer

Yeah, they are pretty solid. I experienced a lot of tube rattle when I had mine. I didn't like it. I even had a tube tamer on it.

It can be done though.