Okay, here's the deal. right now, my gear is in our garage/workshop. My dad does wood staining, and works with a lot of chemicals, and whenever my guitars are in there, the strings turn bright red/orange after a week and it's a pain. i also have a really expensive guitar amp cab i made, and my amp head in there, so i'm trying to get it to go in the basement because they're really expensive investments.

except, everyone can hear my playing from downstairs up. how i can i sound proof my room? or make it so any guitar playing is slightly inaudible?
Member of The 7 String Legion

Peavey Triple X Head
Mahieu 4x12 Cab (celestion g12t-75)
Gibson Vixen
Schecter C-1 Classic
Various Pedals, and Guitars.
you can use all sorts of things if you have to do it cheaply, polystyrene foam is pretty good as is carpet old pillows and duvets, if you can spend a fair bit of money look at some studio grade sound insulation
Egg cartons are good for sound proofing on the cheap, but it'll take you a while to get enough.

Go to your local goodwill or thrift store and buy a bunch of heavy duvet covers and hang them around your room. that'll kill a lot of the noise for cheap (<$30).

EDIT: Go to a store like Sears or anywhere that stocks large items that are shipped with styrofoam and see if they have anythat they're throwing out.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Sep 26, 2010,
Quote by natehimself
all of these things seem quite expensive :l

you just use old stuff, polysytene foam comes with everything, especially electrical goods, and carpet you can find in most dumpsters where there is renovation going on
Proper sound proofing is kinda expenisve.

Most of these egg carton yada yada tricks just imrpove the acoustics.

Put rugs under your amp, on the walls, over a few layers of plasterboard, basically anything to help soften the sound.
Quote by Jhachey22
Egg cartons are good for sound proofing on the cheap, but it'll take you a while to get enough.

egg cartons dont actually do anything for sound proofing. they just disperse the reflections better so the room is slightly more acousticly treated.

to actually sound proof a room is really expensive. you have to basicly isolate the room from everything around it. not easy, cheap, or feasible for most people.

one of the best things to do for cheap is hang heavy blankets around the room, a couple inches from the walls. the dead air behind the blankets helps kill the vibrations. if people are upstairs, hang a heavy blanket a few inches below the ceiling as well.
honestly, it probably wont do wonders, but it should help a bit.
I was under the impression that egg cartons, because they are so thin, will simply absorb a little high-frequency sound and thats it? And by high frequency I'm talking harmonics at the top of the scale
Quote by jof1029
egg cartons dont actually do anything for sound proofing. they just disperse the reflections better so the room is slightly more acousticly treated.

I don't know any of the science behing it, but it seemed to help when i used them
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Keep in mind that foam is highly flammable. If you decide to use it, be careful not to get anything hot near it.
Shag rugs hanging a few inches away from the wall, curtains, clothes thrown everywhere hanging from everywhere, line the walls with foam, rubber seals on all entrances and exits. Thick carpeting on the floor helps as well.

Won't be even close to fully soundproof, but it'll be a hell of a lot better than nothing.
Last edited by Seref at Sep 26, 2010,
Real soundproofing requires walls with double-thick layers of special sheetrock on either side of the studs. It’s outrageously expensive.

Rather then try dumping a lot of time and money into soundproofing your room, you would be much better off buying a small amp to practice with.
To actually sound proof a room requires a ridiculous amount of money that isn't easily justified for most people.

As Jof said, hanging rugs on the ceiling/walls might help a bit, but not that much. And if you care at all about what your room looks like, then it's probably not the solution for you.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Recently, I've seen entire rooms built out of like 3 inch thick plexiglass walls and doors in studios, and they're dead silent. All corners/thin openings have layers of thick gel applied to sell the room. Barely a peep can be heard outside, then you open the door and the volume knocks you on your ass. Not traditional soundproofing, but it works wonders.

It's also way expensive. Works as a bullet-proof room. You know, just in case.
Last edited by Seref at Sep 26, 2010,
Quote by jof1029

to actually sound proof a room is really expensive. you have to basicly isolate the room from everything around it. not easy, cheap, or feasible for most people.

one of the best things to do for cheap is hang heavy blankets around the room, a couple inches from the walls. the dead air behind the blankets helps kill the vibrations. if people are upstairs, hang a heavy blanket a few inches below the ceiling as well.
honestly, it probably wont do wonders, but it should help a bit.

this.

soundproofing generally requires thick, dense material and isolation (floating floors, etc.). best you can do is the layered carpet trick. filling in space between layers of carpet with a material of a different density (like egg crate) helps a lot and is relatively cheap.

and if your guitar strings oxidized that quickly in your shed, I suggest you go ahead and take a look under the hood of your amp.