I really want to learn some of tommy emmanuels (and similar) compositions, but I'm struggling to get my thumb to work independantly. I've fingerpicked for about 5 years but have only really just discovered this type of picking. Please help me!!!
keep practicing? i dunno how did you get good at everything else man. but in all seriousness just play the piece slowly to a metronome and than speed it up a bit everyday until your perfectly comfortable with it.
Gibson Grand Concert Acoustic
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

You, my friend, are a genius!
I had absolutely zero feeling for it until I played the "living on a prayer" cover by some finnish guy. Sungha Jung played it too. Other than that, I don't really know any intermediate songs for thumb independance, haven't got a whole lot farther than that myself.
Might seem an odd suggestion, but maybe you should try having a go at the banjo. The main idea with playing a banjo is to move your right hand in a pattern, known as a roll, which is hugely beneficial to fingerpickers. If you search for some banjo roll patterns, and hold down a simple chord with your left hand, or vice versa if you play lefty, it could help you out.

I purchased a really cheap banjo to practice this on, about 5 years ago, and became semi decent at it, which brought on my fingerpicking and knowledge of open tunings, an absolute tonne.
find a DVD or book full of fingerpicking exercises and work on it, one after another. when i was learning to play the drums, and was going for limb independence, i was shocked how easy it was to move from level to level just playing exercises from a free drum site.
Quote by Stud_Muffin
Might seem an odd suggestion, but maybe you should try having a go at the banjo. The main idea with playing a banjo is to move your right hand in a pattern, known as a roll, which is hugely beneficial to fingerpickers. If you search for some banjo roll patterns, and hold down a simple chord with your left hand, or vice versa if you play lefty, it could help you out.

I purchased a really cheap banjo to practice this on, about 5 years ago, and became semi decent at it, which brought on my fingerpicking and knowledge of open tunings, an absolute tonne.

I've actually always fancied the banjo and have just mastered a simple banjo role on guitar. I think I just may explore this avenue. cheers
Quote by patticake
find a DVD or book full of fingerpicking exercises and work on it, one after another. when i was learning to play the drums, and was going for limb independence, i was shocked how easy it was to move from level to level just playing exercises from a free drum site.

Ive seen your replies alot on here and they always seem to be pretty spot-on. thanks for the advice.
The best thing I found for THUMB independance was learning banjo, "double thumbing" (without finger picks) made my guitar playing heaps better. But there is no easy or other way but to practice practice practice.

here is a good starting link for banjo :

http://www.banjohangout.org/

its a great site along with its resonator brother :

http://www.resohangout.com/
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Last edited by Dix_Fix at Oct 3, 2010,
Look up songs by The Dodos. The guitarist constantly plucks the bass notes with his thumb while his index and middle finger pluck other strings. Some examples are

Paint The Rust
God
Bob
The Season

Not sure if that helps.