I narrowed it down to these two guitars. I play mostly hendrix and classic rock stuff, which makes me lean towards a strat, but the telecaster they say is more versatile and better for rhythm, which is what I would probably play if I join a band. I was just wondering which one you would choose for some classic rock, and some punk/hard rock stuff.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-American-Special-Telecaster-Electric-Guitar-105766943-i1502370.gc
or
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Jimmie-Vaughan-Signature-Tex-Mex-Strat-Electric-Guitar-100327412-i1146254.gc
I was leaining towards the tele because its more versatile, and american made, but just wondering.
Also, I heard that Hendrix recorded Purple Haze and Hey Joe on a telecaster, so I think that I could get a pretty good hendrix sound on the telecaster
you might be better looking at a hss strat, you could look at the fender american special hss strat
i always though a strat was more versatile than a tele
id go for a hss strat
I was looking at that, but for some reason I don;t really like the fretboard, I prefer maple I don't know why, it just seems easier to play for me. It probably is the same but I'm just used to maple, Ill take a look though.
Being that I own a J. Vaughan Strat I think that is the one you should grab. It is a great guitar for the price. The Tex Mex pickups kick butt. You can check mine out in my photos. There are several session players here in Nashville using the J. Vaughan. Also it is as good or better than the low end American made Strats. I know I am just one person but read the reviews everywhere on the Vaughan Strat and you will see what I am saying.

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats
1 Custom Soloist (Warmoth)
1 Custom Telecaster (Warmoth)
2007 Jimmie Vaughan Sig Strat

Callaham Hardware & Bridges
Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
Finally, someone who isn't deciding between an Ibanez and a Jackson!

I own both and I think you should really go to a guitar shop and play a Strat and a Tele if you can. They both sound awesome. You have to remember, the Strat was introduced as the improved Tele.
It's hard for me to recommend just one of these because a lot of Classic Rock bands, Punk bands, and Hard Rock bands use Teles and Strats. What are some bands you like?

Here's a video you should look at that will give you a better idea of the subtle differences in tone http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqRfODd9v8s
Last edited by jdrier21 at Sep 26, 2010,
Quote by britishsligean
you might be better looking at a hss strat, you could look at the fender american special hss strat

+1

you should be able to get one with a maple neck too, unless I'm mistaken.

Regarding (sss) strat versus (ss) tele, it's very much personal preference.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
+1

you should be able to get one with a maple neck too, unless I'm mistaken.

Regarding (sss) strat versus (ss) tele, it's very much personal preference.

i don't think the american special has one with a maple fretboard but i think the american standard has a hss with a maple neck, for theis ts would have to look used seeing as his budget is about $800
oh ok, i guess i'm wrong then
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?