Following on from my previous thread...:

Couple of mistakes in this but I just wanted to generally know my good points/bad points. I'm not exactly sure what type of voice I have - though I think it's in the lower category (alto)...

Singing Over My Head by The Fray - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNxW1H5SUmg

Anyway, CONSTRUCTIVE criticism please. Also, how would I go about improving?
It sounds a bit forced. Try to ease up, and make sure you're supporting with your diaphragm.

One thing that might help is posture. I can't really tell but it seems like you're a bit slouched. You're going to want to sit/stand in a way that you can extend your abdomen. This will likely require you to lift your shoulders up/back a bit. Your shoulders shouldn't be forward and your back shouldn't be bent, it should be straight.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by food1010
It sounds a bit forced. Try to ease up, and make sure you're supporting with your diaphragm.

One thing that might help is posture. I can't really tell but it seems like you're a bit slouched. You're going to want to sit/stand in a way that you can extend your abdomen. This will likely require you to lift your shoulders up/back a bit. Your shoulders shouldn't be forward and your back shouldn't be bent, it should be straight.

Thanks for the reply

I have NO idea how you do the whole 'singing with the diaphragm' thing... ha.

Yeah I was slouched a little, I didn't think it would make all that much difference but I'm probably incorrect, I'll be sure to fix that
You can never really sing your best when you're sitting down...stand up next time
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by BurstAlive
Thanks for the reply

I have NO idea how you do the whole 'singing with the diaphragm' thing... ha.

Yeah I was slouched a little, I didn't think it would make all that much difference but I'm probably incorrect, I'll be sure to fix that
Yes, posture is huge.

As for the "singing from the diaphragm" thing, sorry I didn't explain.

You don't really "sing from the diaphragm." You still sing from the same place, it's just supported by your diaphragm. Try this exercise:

Take a deep breath in. Look at where the air fills up. I'd probably be correct in saying your lungs fill up and your rib cage expands out a bit. This is natural. However, it is not optimal. This uses only muscles in your lung-area and none of your diaphragm (which is far stronger). This time, take the same amount of air in, but don't expand your rib-cage at all. This will require you to expand your abdomen, which uses the diaphragm muscles. I've heard you're supposed to expand around your sides and lower back as well, but I haven't learned how to do this, so I can't attest to that.

You should notice how much more support this adds.

Combining this with the posture thing, try taking a deep breath while your shoulders are slouched forward/down. It's a lot harder to fill up because your abdomen is getting squished. If you extend your shoulders up as you breathe in, this will open up more room in your lungs/diaphragm, instead of squishing out the air.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by food1010
Yes, posture is huge.

As for the "singing from the diaphragm" thing, sorry I didn't explain.

You don't really "sing from the diaphragm." You still sing from the same place, it's just supported by your diaphragm. Try this exercise:

Take a deep breath in. Look at where the air fills up. I'd probably be correct in saying your lungs fill up and your rib cage expands out a bit. This is natural. However, it is not optimal. This uses only muscles in your lung-area and none of your diaphragm (which is far stronger). This time, take the same amount of air in, but don't expand your rib-cage at all. This will require you to expand your abdomen, which uses the diaphragm muscles. I've heard you're supposed to expand around your sides and lower back as well, but I haven't learned how to do this, so I can't attest to that.

You should notice how much more support this adds.

Combining this with the posture thing, try taking a deep breath while your shoulders are slouched forward/down. It's a lot harder to fill up because your abdomen is getting squished. If you extend your shoulders up as you breathe in, this will open up more room in your lungs/diaphragm, instead of squishing out the air.

Yeah I've looked up exercises similar to that before and I do it but I'm not 100% if I'm doing it correctly or not xD

Thank you for the advice though. I shall try it again