I'm looking for an audio PC interface and DAW software to record my band. Simultaneously we will need about 6 mic inputs (for the drummer)

I'm looking at the M audio fast track ultra 8 (is there any advantage of the 2626 firewire version?)

problem is it doesn't come with bundled software (I'm looking to use pro tools) and buying the software (£200ish) and the interface will be too much.

can you recommend a similar setup that will achieve what i need for less money.

I'm entertaining the idea of a USB mixer that would serve a LIVE purpose also.
Fender Vintage Hot Rod 62 Stratocastor
Ibanez Artcore AS-103NT
->
TC Polytune
Xotic BB Preamp
Ibanez TS 808
Red Witch Empress
EHX Deluxe Memory Man XO
Carl Martin Hydra Boost
->
Fender Blues Deluxe
only downside of a usb mixer is you cant multi track record. just one stereo track from everything. I say by the interface, and go on pirate bay and rip a protools version from there
I'd go for the 2626, Firewire really is the best way to hook up an audio interface, USB really isn't great but PCI is not bad

Afaik, pretty much all M Audio hardware comes with a copy of Pro Tools M Powered, but I far prefer using Cubase 5, it's just a lot more fluid to use imo. ProTools is pretty complicated to get even basic results out of it, let alone make use of all the other features
ohai little sig.
Last edited by Demonikk at Sep 26, 2010,
PCI is faster than both firewire and USB2.

Only 2 track limit was with USB1. With USB2, you can do a lot more.

Maybe consider the Delta 1010?

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
thoughts on PreSonus FireStudio Project over the 2626? (the presonus comes with cubase le(big financial bonus))
Fender Vintage Hot Rod 62 Stratocastor
Ibanez Artcore AS-103NT
->
TC Polytune
Xotic BB Preamp
Ibanez TS 808
Red Witch Empress
EHX Deluxe Memory Man XO
Carl Martin Hydra Boost
->
Fender Blues Deluxe
From my very recent research, the presonus drivers can be quite dodgy.

I didn't mention this before, as it seemed to be beyond the price range you were quoting by quite a bit, but if you're looking at the ProFire 2626, which I was, I ultimately ordered the Steinberg MR816X. The preamps are the same ones that Yamaha uses on their $40K consoles and sound amazing, from the reviews. It is a solid piece of hardware built by Yamaha, and doesn't have to go with Cubase, though it does come with Cubase AI. There's that bonus again!

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
I had a M-Audio Firewire 1814 with a Behringer ADA 8000 plugged into it. 10 mic pre's and a 6 line in's. Worked great. Run that and Reaper for cheap or M-Powered if you have the cash or the starter version of Cubase. I actually like Cubase better, lower latencys, compared to M-Powered 7.4