so how do you guys write songs?

ive been jamming with a friend(2 guitars), and we wanna write but have no idea how. neither of us can sing and dont really want to write lyrics, but it seems to us, that songs are written around lyrics.
we usually just improvise, and dont write stuff down and forget it.

another problem is we dont know what goes together well. my friend will come up with something, and i dont know what compliments it.

where do you guys start? any tips?

thanks guys
Start with a riff. That's good practice.

Back when I first started writing I would try to write a solo for Tyler by Toadies in Guitar Pro. That was a lot of fun for me, and it helped me get my bearings. Maybe try something like that?
i don't know why i feel so dry
Next time you improvise, write it down or record it and then write it down later. Also, you might find it useful when writing with two guitars to start by writing the rhythm progression
and then adding lead on top of that. Do it section by section, ideally starting with the riff, then think 'What can we put/ how can we alternate that to form a verse/chorus?'

Goodluck mate, hope this helps :-)
What I usually do:
i) Improvise with chords rather than single note lines as mine usually are crap
ii) Play around on a keyboard and try and come up with a melody or chord progression
iii) Write out riff/lick using traditional notation, work it out on guitar and build on it
iv) Let ideas come to me
Quote by davem27
so how do you guys write songs?

ive been jamming with a friend(2 guitars), and we wanna write but have no idea how. neither of us can sing and dont really want to write lyrics, but it seems to us, that songs are written around lyrics.
we usually just improvise, and dont write stuff down and forget it.

another problem is we dont know what goes together well. my friend will come up with something, and i dont know what compliments it.

where do you guys start? any tips?

thanks guys

Learn to write by writing songs.

Theory does help.

Books have also been written, buy one.

One or more of you, learn to sing.

If you want something bad enough you'll work for it.

Best,

Sean