hey guys, recently i noticed my wrist is bent alot while i play and i start to feel pain in my forearm. Is the wrist NOT supposed to be bent? Is it something i have to unlearn?

BTW Steve Vai's wrist is bent aswell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw74sDWPH7U

Can it just be that i dont take breaks often? Cuz i played 10 hours + for a couple of weeks..
Last edited by Mackan1994 at Sep 26, 2010,
Quote by Tarsplitter
How are you supposed to play guitar without your wrist bent?

That's what i wanted to hear thanks! i probably need to take more breaks!
the thing that's probably causing the pain is not that you're bending your wrist too much, but that you're tensing up and forcing the bend too much as well. try loosening up.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Make sure your strap is high enough, as well. That caused my problems when I started playing.
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.
Place it in your butt so you can't post anymore.

Quote by Fadetoblack5:03
You deserve some form of awesome reward, but I'm to lazy. Imagine the rest of these:

Quote by TheBigProjekt
Make sure your strap is high enough, as well. That caused my problems when I started playing.

How can players with low straps survive? =o
Watch Freepower's posture vid on youtube. Nobody expects you to play with a perfectly straight wrist all the time. Just keep your wrist as straight as possible. Lift up your neck so you have a better angle.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Yes, your wrist should be as straight as possible. Sorry guys, but a bent wrist isn't good. It doesn't have to be perfectly straight, but if you're having pain, it should be straighter than it is now.
Yeah, bent wrists are not good for either hand. It's not like your hand will snap off the minute you move a degree, but over time (and especially when practicing lots) you will experience more wear and tear with a bent wrist. The trick is good posture. Try watching my posture vid or even just raising the guitar a little by putting a foot on your amp.
Quote by Mackan1994
hey guys, recently i noticed my wrist is bent alot while i play and i start to feel pain in my forearm. Is the wrist NOT supposed to be bent? Is it something i have to unlearn?

BTW Steve Vai's wrist is bent aswell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw74sDWPH7U

Can it just be that i dont take breaks often? Cuz i played 10 hours + for a couple of weeks..

When you play a melody or solo -- in other words, you are hitting single notes at a time -- your wrist should be straight. This is the most comfortable way for your muscles to operate.

However, sometimes when playing certain chords, your wrist will naturally want to bend. By not allowing it to bend you are setting yourself up for strain and possibly injury.

Also remember to always relax. Get into the habit of relaxing and using the least amount of muscle possible to play anything. Read this http://www.theloneguitaristblog.com/technique-2/building-finger-speed-relaxation/