i playd bass in a my middle schools top jazz band for 2 years but never owned my own bass, the school had a squier affinity p bass which i thought was decent but i wanna buy my own. ive moved on now in high school not taking jb but wanting to continue to play, but am not sure on what bass wuld be good to continue to learn on, i dont' need it to be some superb bass, in the future i culd mod it to fit me and im willing to buy used.
look a little higher than affinities. you get a lot more bass for a little more money by going with a squire standard or more preferably a CV or VM
no sir away a papaya war is on
well ive heard in the future it wuld b easy to mod the affinity
the VM's are just as easy to modify, it's just that affinities are often chosen as mod basses because they are so cheap.
My gear:
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass
Fender Rumble 15
i kno that mim fenders r bettr but ive heard gud things bout the squier basses and ive playd nd likd em, but am nt sure cuz of some of the criticizm
Well Yamaha always make good cheap basses. You're sure to find heaps of those second hand due to people giving up bass or upgrading it.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
ya but i think it wuld b cool to mod the squier nd eventually try to make a fender sound out of a squier
Quote by Fleebz
ya but i think it wuld b cool to mod the squier nd eventually try to make a fender sound out of a squier

You wont get that "proper" Fender sound if that's what you're aiming for. You can drop hundreds into a bass on modifications but you'll never be able to change the body wood, neck, yeah I guess.
The point I'm trying to make is there's a certain point you can get to with upgrading a bass or guitar where it becomes virtually pointless and you would've been better off just going for a higher end bass.
But yeah, as Tostitos said, give us a budget to work with and we'll help you out the best we can. What do you plan on doing amp-wise?
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
im not sure about the amp but at the most i wuld spend 400 on the bass, but preferably less and ive playd on a squier and it sounded fine
^ What currency?

I'll blindly assume you mean USD, so I'll suggest taking a look at a Squier Vintage Modified or Classic Vibe Precision or Jazz bass, a used MIM Fender Precision or Jazz if you're looking for a Fender flavor.

Other basses worth checking out would be an Ibanez SR, a Yamaha RBX, a Peavey Millennium BXP, or a Traben Array.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Used Fender MIM Jazz or P. Best option really. You should be able to find one for about $300 US and they're better modified than the Squires.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB