Hello friends.
Since I am close to getting a new band together and my current amplifier (VOX vt30) is a bit weak for gigging, I've decided it's probably time to save up for a new amplifier. Essentially, what I'm looking for is an amp with as good a clean-tone as possible... I use a Proco Rat (which I love) for my distortion, so good amp distortion is not an essential.

I have currently ruled out any all-valve amplifiers, due to budget restrictions... In a perfect world, I'd probably go for a VOX AC30cch since I absolutely adore the VOX clean tone, and prefer the head + cab variant to the combo version, however I'm currently an unemployed student living on an allowance, so at the moment it's a little bit out of the question.

So!

I've narrowed my choices down to either the AC30vr , which has the same Valve-Reactor technology as my current VT30 (which tonally I have no qualms with) but the extra speaker and fact that it's more of a straight-out VOX tone rather than a modelling amp would come in handy. Tonally, I would prefer this amp probably.

My other choice I've considered is the Fender FM100h, which as far as tone goes would probably do the job, though it would probably be easier to save up for this one on my budget since I can buy the head and cabinet separately... It's also 100 watts, which would be more than loud enough for anything I'd ever want to do.

However, I haven't managed to find the opportunity to play either of these amplifiers yet, is there anyone here who has played either one of these amps who can advise me on what my best choice would be?
Fender FMs don't take pedals very well at all and their distortion is poor to say the least. AC30vr's sound very good from my experience. Never tried one with a pedal though.
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
If you tell us your max budget and the genre(s) you want to play you will get very good results from this thread. However, until then most people will come in and say don't get that get this and it will become a clusterf*ck of opinions.

Budget and genres: let's do this.
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
I'd say look for a used AC30 or even AC15 combo, Roland JC-120 (there are lower watt-models too), used tube Fenders (Hot Rod Deluxe for example), Peavey Classic 30/50, Laney VC/LC30.

The AC30VR won't be louder (or at least not noticably louder), I don't know much about how it sounds, but it probably still won't be like the real thing and the FM100 is a crappy oversized practice amp.

Some of the amps I listed you could even get new for the price of the AC30VR.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Vox AC30VR is a good amp. It has excellent cleans, for certain.
Quote by Duv
The only good thing about my MG30 was I was able to have it in my room for 5 years solely as a place to hide cigarettes and condoms.
Quote by BrokenDstring
If you tell us your max budget and the genre(s) you want to play you will get very good results from this thread. However, until then most people will come in and say don't get that get this and it will become a clusterf*ck of opinions.

Budget and genres: let's do this.

Budget, I'm getting £80 a month, so it'll be slow saving up but most likely worth it. I don't want anything over £500 or £600, since it'll take me too long saving up.

Genres, I play a mix of Alternative/Indie Rock, Progressive Rock and Post-Punk - think Radiohead/Pink Floyd/The Tea Party/Nirvana/Joy Division sort of influences.
you should be able to get a tube combo for that kinda money... fender hot rod deluxe, orange rocker 30, vox ac30, laney vc30, traynor ycv40, etc. etc. Take your pick.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?