If a laptop were to have a completely broken screen (no display), but the HDD worked fine, would there be a simple way of DIY file transfer of all things like music, documents etc to a new laptop, or would it just be easier to switch the actual hard drives over? Provided you know what you're doing of course.
you can just use the laptop as a desktop pc, get a monitor, plug it into the monitor-out and your good to go (and now that you can see the screen anyway, you can move the files if still inclined to do so)
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
I think you can replace hard drives that are from portable hard drives that use usb. You are unlikely to succesfully swap a hard drive to a different laptop because when windows installs, it configures to the motherboard. If you have a VGA socket, plug in a monitor and you can get a dongle to transfer what you need.
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
I guess you could hook it up to another screen (tv works ok) and try to blindly set up that screen as your primary so you could at least see what you were doing when you try to transfer things over.

Ask a proper computer nerd though.

Sidenote...screens aren't all that expensive to replace.
Quote by crazy8rgood
This, stockylachy, if i was a woman, i would want you to have my babies...

Wait...
Most laptops have a vga or hdmi output so you can plug it in to a tv, I do it all the time to watch films. Once you can do this you can see what your doing and start moving files around, I don't know about directly copying to another laptop but you can do it via a usb pen drive or external hdd. You should be able to get a cheap vga or hdmi lead off ebay.
Hope this helps
A lot of (older?) laptops require changes to be made in the control panel to allow the display to be sent through the VGA port
New screens are about as expensive as buying a new laptop also...which is probably the best bet in the long run, but there's a lot of stuff on there that I'd like saved.
Quote by SkepsisMetal
A lot of (older?) laptops require changes to be made in the control panel to allow the display to be sent through the VGA port
New screens are about as expensive as buying a new laptop also...which is probably the best bet in the long run, but there's a lot of stuff on there that I'd like saved.

Any idea what kind of HDD it is? (size and connection type)
I wouldn't know for sure, I've not opened the casing up. I'd guess it's the standard (ATA33?) in modern computers. I always thought they were the simple ones to replace by hand...just a simple ribbon to clip, like the CD drive.
you can use a Cat5 crossover cable to connect a computer to your laptop then you can access everything from there.

Its pretty simple actually.
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.