I tried looking in the painting/refinishing thread awhile ago and even asked a question there, but I didn't get an answer. I was gonna refinishing my Jaguar and looked at all the threads linking to how to, but none of them mention what kind of paint is safe for a guitar's finish. I figure most paints like you would use for furniture or a house would probably damped resonance, so I wondered what kind of paint I would need to refinish my Jaguar and where I would buy it. Also, if anyone could tell me the body wood of a '94 CIJ Jaguar that would be appreciated, because if it's alder and not basswood I may just ignore the paint and do what Elvis Costello did to his one Jazzmaster since I think that looks pretty classy.
Where can I buy acrylic paint? It's probably a stupid question, but it's been a solid 3 years since I've done anything woodshop oriented (my grandpa was an industrial technologies professor for 15 years and I used to spend a lot of time at home working in his shop with him).
auto paints work. some autobody shops paint guitars on the side. however it would be worth asking in the painting thread as skeet and ippon and the other guys in there have got much more experience in this
I have used car paint a lot. If you prep it right then is does. I get a couple spay cans of basecoat and a couple of clear from O'riellys and it turns out great.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
The cheapest and best Bang for the $$$ (in my opinion) are the Krylon Acrylic Lacquer, old formula and not the newer Enamel. You can differentiate visually like so, you want the one on the left:

Another option, made by the same manufacturer (Sherwin-Williams) is Duplicolor. It sprays better, takes fewer passes to get the color coverage, and priced higher (slightly). These are available at most auto shops.

Or, you can go with finishing supplies specific to guitar:
http://reranch.com/products.htm
http://www.lmii.com/

IpponEdit:
Quote by Doonan
auto paints work. some autobody shops paint guitars on the side. however it would be worth asking in the painting thread as skeet and ippon and the other guys in there have got much more experience in this

Last edited by Ippon at Sep 26, 2010,
thanks a bunch guys. hopefully when I'm home on break I'll get to refinishing my Jaguar. Still need to decide if I want to paint it black or blue.