I've got a Schecter Hellraiser, which plays really nicely, but I'm not into metal anymore and would hate to sell it because it was the first guitar I bought with my own money and plays really well. I was looking for not only suggestions for pickups that can replace the EMGs in there, but also what other things I would need to switch from active to passive.

I've got a Mesa DC-5 head that I'll hopefully be selling for an AC30 combo, and I play a lot of indie/alternative/folk/experimental rock (The Smiths, Circa Survive, Sonic Youth, City and Colour, etc.), and as of now my main guitar is my Fender Jaguar, but I'd really like to have a humbucker guitar to compliment the Jaguar. Budget for everything would be like 250 bucks; I'd like good pickups and everything, but I'm not trying to spend a ton of money on them.
Have you thought about just learning to do more with your EMGs? They’re not only useful for metal. People use active pickups for jazz, funk, rock, and pop playing, too.
For like 50 more you could get Bareknuckle's, which are the best pickups I have ever heard
Quote by jpnyc
Have you thought about just learning to do more with your EMGs? They’re not only useful for metal. People use active pickups for jazz, funk, rock, and pop playing, too.

Have you thought that I just don't like EMGs? I don't like how they drive my Mesa, and they certainly are too hot for how I set an AC30. You do realize my main guitar is a Jaguar, which has incredibly low output pickups compared to EMGs. I set my amps close to breakup, and that sounds great with a Jaguar or more vintage output humbuckers, but EMGs are just way too hot and break my amp up way to fast, and don't clean up well enough for my taste.

Also, who plays jazz with an EMG 81? I love jazz guitar, but unless I was playing through a JC-120 or a solid state amp I couldn't imagine getting a good jazz sound with that pickup.

Quote by Thrasher117
For like 50 more you could get Bareknuckle's, which are the best pickups I have ever heard

I WOULD look at Bareknuckles, but I don't have the money to throw at them. 300 for two pickups is quite a lot considering I'm not a professional musician or someone who gigs 3 or 4 times a week. 250 is really the end of my budget considering I believe I need to change the input jack and pots going from active to passive pickups.
look into guitarforce pickups. they are great pickups. His descriptions on the site are very spot on.

I would probably look into a Rebelfire bridge pup and a Lord of the Blues neck pickup.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
I would just sell the Schecter, cause the floyd won't really be doing you good playing alt rock anyway. You should sell or trade it for a PRS or something. If you really want to change the pickups I'd reccomend a Duncan Screamin' Demon or JB. Or A Dimarzio ToneZone in the bridge. As for the neck A Dimarzio Air Norton or Duncan 59 or Jazz
Would recommend a Humbucker from Hell for the neck position. Maybe consider a PAF Pro for the bridge?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
it doesn't have a floyd, which is why I want to keep it. although I'd love a PRS, I could maybe get 500 for the Hellraiser and a Custom 24 used is double that, so that's out of the question. I was considering DiMarzio's just because Larry DiMarzio's one of the kings of making humbuckers (pretty sure everyone's had a DiMarzio in their guitar at one point).
used prs se guitars go for $300-350. See is someone wants to trade with some cash on top or not.
a custom 22 or 24, or santana would fit the bill nicely imo.

edit: if you just want to swap pups, i would say a pearly gates neck and 59 bridge would suit what you want to do.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Sep 26, 2010,
PRS SE guitars are pretty nasty in my opinion. My Schecter plays really nicely; the neck's super comfortable and it's not super heavy, which is why I want to change the pickups. I was thinking either an Air Zone/Air Norton set, or a PAF 36th anniversary set. Paul Gilbert has the latter in his Fireman and although I'm not a shredder he's got a lot of definition with that guitar, especially distorted.