not sure where to put this thread so i thought in here might be appropriate =)

when you are in practice rooms do you where ear plugs?
Quote by Metalmarathon
The concept of self-fulfilling prophecies never seem to occur to the ones that always create them.

Attic Green
My Band
Not alone. Generally when I'm playing by myself I'm either recording, in which case I'm wearing headphones/monitors, or just practicing, where I keep things at a calm level. I love a powerful drummer though, which means I like everything loud at band meets, so I do there. I may like it loud live, but I'm not stupid enough to let myself go deaf by age 30.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Depends who you play with, if you got buggers who love to turn a humbucker all the way down to screech then yes. I have to tell my buddy when and how to tune his volume due to his minor deafness.
Quote by zipmike
I sucked my grandma's dick for a dollar when I was 8.
At practice I would like to cuz its soo loud but no one can hear each other talking when we're tryin to discuss song ideas. Gigs most of the time yes.
-------------------------------------------------
facebook.com/thesedrowningtides
youtube.com/thesedrowningtides
-------------------------------------------------
Nope. I like it loooooud. XD Unless I'm jamming with the computer/recording.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
when i'm playing loud of course. they're not expensive and they save you from going deaf.
I wear them 90% of the time to combat my hyperacusis and keep my tinnitus down. I have moulded ones though which are amazing and mean I can hear speech surprisingly well
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
hmmmm ok thanks, i think i will take some along to the next band practice, im getting sick of the ringing and i guess we can always just grab a mic if we need to talk....
Quote by Metalmarathon
The concept of self-fulfilling prophecies never seem to occur to the ones that always create them.

Attic Green
My Band
Quote by Garlic Owl
when i'm playing loud of course. they're not expensive and they save you from going deaf.

+1. I use them when I play in the house. Otherwise, there is no way of not going deaf.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
I use them at band practice, and at concerts.

Might also have to use them for recording, even though I'm wearing headphones. Those pinch harmonics are quite... Clear with my EQ. at the moment
I did with our old drummer, but not the current one even though I probably should. He's not as loud and we don't have to turn up as loud.

The previous drummer was so damn loud. You know that sound that happens on those shitty camera phones when the sound gets too loud for them to handle? Imagine that happening to your ears in real life, that's how loud it was when he played.
Quote by C O B H C
If you want to get really technical about it..

1. Grab sticks.
2. Bang sticks on drums.

^how to play drums.

UG POKER
when i practice i try to play full bore as much as possible. practice with the band, always full bore. so ear plugs are a must pretty regularly, but i dont always use them cause for some reason i think i have super human ears, when i really dont. ill be deaf sooner or later...
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
Quote by Slashestranged
what moderately cheap ear plugs will get me the least distorted sound?

Hearos Hi-Fis. Picked up 4 pairs for about $50 bucks off MusiciansFriend.

You won't regret it, and they're substantially different from just jamming foam in your ears. They don't destroy the frequencies of what you're hearing, the only time I ever had the slightest problem with them was when I saw Maiden and they were cutting out Bruce's high notes.
Gear:
08' Gibson Les Paul Studio
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ Vintage 30
Peavy Vypyr 15 watt
MXR 10 Band EQ
MXR EVH Phase 90
Boss DS-1
Dunlop 535Q Wah

Death to all butt metal.
i like to get my tube amp screaming so I always wear earplugs when i play.

I wear earmuffs when i play drums, they make my shitty drum kit sound way better.
of course, any time anything loud is going on i wear earplugs. You don't want tinnitus or any severe hearing loss do you?
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Schecter PT Custom w/ Dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
Never. Not at home, not at practice, not at gigs. I want to be able to hear everything I can. I know I'll regret it one day but oh well.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Quote by MortifiedLizard
Never. Not at home, not at practice, not at gigs. I want to be able to hear everything I can. I know I'll regret it one day but oh well.

musician's earplugs.
you can hardly tell a difference but your ears are being protected.
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Schecter PT Custom w/ Dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
Quote by MortifiedLizard

Amen.

I bought some hearos hi fidelity plugs. Used them a few times. Used them when playing a gig and I could not hear my bends all that well and so I no longer use them.

I accept the fact that I will suffer for it years down the line but its just part of being a musician. I would rather know everything I'm playing sounds great and is in tune to be honest with you.
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
Quote by Talentless
Amen.

I bought some hearos hi fidelity plugs. Used them a few times. Used them when playing a gig and I could not hear my bends all that well and so I no longer use them.

I accept the fact that I will suffer for it years down the line but its just part of being a musician. I would rather know everything I'm playing sounds great and is in tune to be honest with you.

good ones have just a volume drop rather than rolls off the high frequencies. You were probably using average ones. You'll regret it when you have tinnitus in 10 years
Nah, only when I'm at band practice and I have a headache I will use them. But because I'm a backing singing I don't like to use them when I'm singing.
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
At home- Not necessary

Practice:
Rock/funk band- sometimes, if our drummer is having a fit, but usually things are quiet enough.

Metal band- always, can't stand it if I go without.

Progressive band- always as well, though I can deal if I forget them.

Concerts- Yep, unless I forget, then I just make sure to give them plenty of rest afterwards.

Gigs- always, filters a lot of noise off and gives a more balanced input of the band, eliminates a lot of sloppy mistakes.
Always.
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
i remember i was having a thread like this or somehting... i cant really remember

still
At home- No (i dont go past 1 on my amp which is 10 wat SS)
Band practice- Yes (yes most of the time its enough loud to drain the drums besides it helps you to hear every mistake you do and whatnot)
Gigs- Yes (yes that's a must for me)
Concerts- Sometimes (like if im not playing.. no rarely but i put on my headphones which cut the volume a bit)
Recording- no (i record with my home volume so i can hear every single note! every scratch and whatnot... eardubs are unnecessary here with my volume