There are two guitars that I am looking at that are available ONLY online. They are both mahogany bodies.

One has a Maple neck with a Rosewood fretboard (Les Paul clone, no maple cap, 2" body thickness) and the other has a Mahogany neck with a Ebony fretboard (Explorer clone: 1.75" body thickness, full size).

I usually play alternative and grunge but I mix it with slow hand blues and smooth jazz. Both guitars are beautiful so aesthetics isnt an issue. I would love the Rosewood fretboard for a smoother top end, but the guitar with the Ebony is a much nicer built (and slightly more $ that I dont mind paying)

Would Ebony fretboard dominant the tone? I want a smooth jazzy tone and be able to play some slow-hand blues too.

Thanks in advance
Quote by racman92
Trust Jim, dude. He's a hero to us all. Don't dishonor him with such petty doubts.

LOL my petty doubts :P You're right though
Ebony is a strong tough wood and will last longer. As far a tone, Ebony is a Bright tone similar to maple. Ebony will be a faster fingerboard also. Rosewood will give a warmer tone.

If you go to WARMOTH.com, they have a glossary of wood tones and neck wood tones. Very informative to get you close to the tone you are looking for.

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats
1 Custom Soloist (Warmoth)
1 Custom Telecaster (Warmoth)
2007 Jimmie Vaughan Sig Strat

Callaham Hardware & Bridges
Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
Last edited by JohnnyNash at Sep 27, 2010,
Quote by Darkflame
what would the guitars in question be? just curious
as for the rosewood vs ebony, I have no idea really..

Agile Dauntless AL and Agile Ghost (not like the ones now, but nicer). Both used.
Quote by racman92
Trust Jim, dude. He's a hero to us all. Don't dishonor him with such petty doubts.

Quote by gregs1020
they are both good for blues.

i'd go with ebony myself, but ymmv.

With Strats, i notice a difference between Maple and Rosewood fretboards. Of course, technically it is not a big difference, but relatively, its a big difference to me. The Rosewood has a smooth top end and Maple promotes a more pristine cleans.

Will the Mahogany neck smoothen out the Ebony? I'm more into the slow hand blues rather then the more hotter faster blues. I don't want to be competing with a guitar for tone... I've bumped into that dilemma twice lol not fun.
Quote by racman92

Quote by snarlNbutter
With Strats, i notice a difference between Maple and Rosewood fretboards. Of course, technically it is not a big difference, but relatively, its a big difference to me. The Rosewood has a smooth top end and Maple promotes a more pristine cleans.

Will the Mahogany neck smoothen out the Ebony? I'm more into the slow hand blues rather then the more hotter faster blues. I don't want to be competing with a guitar for tone... I've bumped into that dilemma twice lol not fun.

for slow hand blues, go maple and rosewood. i like ebony boards, but the tone is closer to a maple board in my opinion. re-reading, i think you would want the warmer tone of rosewood.

the quality of the neck wood as well makes a huge difference. some necks are just dead to me, others chime out like a bell. i think that get's lost here on UG.
Quote by gregs1020
the quality of the neck wood as well makes a huge difference. some necks are just dead to me, others chime out like a bell. i think that get's lost here on UG.

Indeed it does.
I love the way ebony sounds, but disregard the comment about it being faster, your fingers won't be touching the fretboard unless you press way too hard. Honestly, I'd go with whatever you think would feel good in your hands, go play an explorer and Les Paul copy at your local store. But traditionally, sounds-wise, blues is played on a maple neck with either a maple or rosewood fretboard.
I'm pretty sure that Ebony is a pretty hard wood, and you'll essentially get a pretty bright tone out of it, hence why you don't often see scalloped ebony fingerboards.

Maple is bright, but not as bright in most cases.

Rosewood is pretty mellow.

Now, ebony on mahogany is going to add some balance, like a maple cap on a mahogany body. Maple on maple is just more brightness to be had. Rosewood on mahogany is pretty dark. Rosewood on maple is pretty neutral.

However, I think the feel of the fingerboards is going to be much more noticeable than the different sounds.
Thanks guys. I will go with the Maple and Rosewood which I think will be awesome on a Mahogany guitar.

----EDIT:

Decided to buy new since it wasn't much more. Just ordered the Agile AL Dauntless with the Spalted Flame Maple veneer. I plan on putting a Demon in the bridge and either a AP2 or Air Classic in the neck. I'll let you guys know how the Maple and Rosewood combo turns out.

P.S. I havent played a Paul in awhile so I look forward to its awesome sustain! Woo!
Quote by racman92

Last edited by snarlNbutter at Sep 27, 2010,