Page 1 of 2
So Fassa's thread gave me an idea, this is basiclly about songs that have references in them about other song.

Like in the Metallica song The memory remains, in one line he says: "Fade to black"

In the Bon Jovi song It's my life he has one line:"For Tommy and Gina who never backed down"
So this is another refrence to his song Livin' on a prayer I think.

So come on pit, dig me up some more references.
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
Last edited by GbAdimDb5m7 at Sep 26, 2010,
Only one I can think of off of the top of my head is Roll On by Kid Rock. It's practically half a cover of Sweet Home Alabama. It mentions the song by title in the chorus and then plays the SHA riff after it.
2008 Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster
2010 Fender Classic Players Jazzmaster
2010 Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster
Peavey 80w Bandit
There are one or two Dragonforce songs that have the line "Through the Fire and flames" in them i believe
Appreciating Metal since 1998

R.I.P - Ronnie James Dio

1942-2010
Metallica's The Memory Remains also has the lines fade to black.
Quote by Primus2112

*lolstack*

I had to do that instead of a real lolstack, because the number of lols would exceed the image limit. But dear god

Quote by Burgery
Well he's not a bad teacher, it just seems like he really doesn't know an awful lot about what he's teaching...
Quote by TheIntruder
Metallica's The Memory Remains also has the lines fade to black.

Oh shit I think I got them mixed up, it is the Memory remains that has that line
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
Poetically Pathetic - Amber Pacific has the line "reference to a song you love, spell confusion with a k", this is a reference to Konstantine - Something Corporate.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

andrew jackson jihad - people II: the reckoning. "and heres to you mrs. robison, people love you more- oh never mind. oh never mind. in ****ing fact mrs. robinson they don't care wether you live or die.
no sir away a papaya war is on
New Order had the neat trick of not mentioning a song title in the song itself, but mentioning it in another song instead. Many New Order song titles have nothing to do with the song. In some cases, songs with normal titles appear to have had their titles swapped with other songs. For example, the phrase "This time of night" appears in the song "As It Is When It Was" on Brotherhood but is the title of a song on Low-Life, and "Face Up" from Low-Life features the phrase "In a lonely place", the title of the B-side to "Ceremony". Also, the track "Chemical" from the 1993 album Republic featured the word brotherhood, which was the name of the 1986 album
Fall of the American Empire by State Radio references a few songs. The one I can remember off the top of my head is Bob Dylan's "Mighty Quinn."

Edit: Alright, just listened to him explain all of the references, I'll try to see if I can get all of them (some aren't necessarily songs and belong better in that other thread):

Swan Song (Led Zeppelin record label)
Quinn the Eskimo ("Mighty Quinn" by Bob Dylan)
Sally (Sally Simpson from The Who's Tommy)
Thelonious (Thelonious Monk)
Lucy (Beatles, Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds)

There are a lot of references that aren't necessarily from music either (such as the Mad Hatter).
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Last edited by food1010 at Sep 26, 2010,
Quote by salgala2000
Isn't therea motorhead song called **** metallica?

Yeah it's an Enter Sandman cover.
Quote by Primus2112

*lolstack*

I had to do that instead of a real lolstack, because the number of lols would exceed the image limit. But dear god

Quote by Burgery
Well he's not a bad teacher, it just seems like he really doesn't know an awful lot about what he's teaching...
I think it's "Take Me" by Papa Roach references broken home at one point.
Quote by Owenlee55
Well, my penis smells of fecieas and my anus smells of semen...
The song "Young Americans" by David Bowie has a line "I read the news today, oh boy" which was a direct reference to "A Day in the Life" by The Beatles.
Keep you doped with religion and sex and TV
And you think you're so clever and class less and free
But you're still fucking peasants as far as I can see

A working class hero is something to be.
People who post references if you could also post the line or something it would help.
Quote by tattyreagh

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
Quote by GogglesVK
'Hurt Me Soul' by Lupe Fiasco mentions Jay-Z's 'D'evils'.

Lupe Fiasco is awesome.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
Octavarium by Dream Theater references like 900 songs
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
I think I found another reference, in the song Writing to Reach You by Travis there is a line that goes:"And what's a wonderwall anyway"
Obviously a reference to the song Wonderwall-oasis.
Quote by tattyreagh

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
Megadeth have a song where the lyrics are composed mainly of their own song names.

EDIT: Victory is the name.
Quote by uk.mace
This man is smart.

Quote by guitar-guy69
you spelt colors wrong

Tweet me bro.
Last edited by blankoff at Sep 26, 2010,
Pretty much all of the current Seattle area rappers reference each others music. Macklemore, Blue Scholars, Common Market, The Physics, etc pretty much all reference each others music. The hip hop scene here is really interconnected and it's actually pretty cool.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by Alive@myfuneral
There are one or two Dragonforce songs that have the line "Through the Fire and flames" in them i believe

That's just because they write basically the same song 8 times for every album, really.
Pantera references Slayer in their song Goddamn Electric, the lines something like "whiskey weed and Slayer"
Guitar:
Jackson DX10D Dinky
Ibanez Tone Blaster 150w head
Line Six 4x12 cab
Marshall MG10CD
Dunlop Crybaby from Hell

Bass:
Ibanez ATK
Random ass EQ thing that's not even a real bass amp
1x18 2x10 cab
Anyone mentioned blink-182's "Adam's Song" mentioning Come As You Are?

It's not a direct quote, but it says "I took my time, I hurried up, the choice was mine I didn't think enough"
Fender Deluxe Player Strat
Fender Musicmaster
Takamine EAN10C
B-52 AT-100
Jet City JCA20H
MXR Phase 90
PolyTune Mini
Strymon El Capistan
Quote by thrashdeth
I love a Dimebag tone just as much as anyone else. I'm Definitely considering a spider.
Last edited by Juared at Sep 26, 2010,
Taking Back Sunday has like two songs referencing Jesse Lacey and Brand New's song Seventy Times Seven. John Nolan and he had a bit of a tiffle.

Also, at the end of Play Crack the Sky, Jesse sings part of a Beatles song as he exits a door.
The South's Gonna Do It Again - Charlie Daniels Band
Bebe le strange - Heart
Ashes to Ashes - David Bowie

Off the top of my head...
Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
I think I found another reference, in the song Writing to Reach You by Travis there is a line that goes:"And what's a wonderwall anyway"
Obviously a reference to the song Wonderwall-oasis.

Another one of their songs, Slide Show, has the lyrics

"Cause there is no design for life
There's no devils haircut in my mind
There is not a wonderwall
to climb or step around"
Thrice's track "Lullaby" doesn't explicitly reference the song but it''s apparently a response or opinion of the idea behind John Lennon's "Imagine".
RHCP with Dani California...which has Dani which is referenced in By The Way.
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
most hold steady songs refer to older hold steady songs and/or characters in the hold steady universe.

also, a couple of TMBG songs.

Ana Ng - "All alone at the '64 World's Fair, Eighty dolls yelling 'Small girl after all'. c.f. "It's a small world after all" in Disney's It's a Small World song and ride. The ride was unveiled at the fair and eventually moved to Disneyland. It features scores of audio-animatronic kids (dolls) singing the line. Also: "It's like a whirlpool and it never ends" is a reference to the Tommy Roe song "Dizzy": "My head is spinning, like a whirlpool it never ends."
Ant (Indestructible Object Version) - Dig the "Hail To The Chief" riff on the Indestructible Object version.

Battle For The Planet Of They Might Be Giants - One section of music played is taken from Chicago's "25 Or 6 To 4"

Beatles And Bugs - The Beatles

The Biggest One - Lyrics play on Gloria Gaynor's "I Will Survive" ("Change the lock, throw away the key, I will survive")

Birdhouse In Your Soul (Demo) - "Give me something to write on" (a line from Van Halen's "Hot For Teacher")

Birds Fly - The line about "a good luck charm hanging off my arm" refers to the Elvis Presley song "Good Luck Charm."

Brooklyn - "Marty Markowitz - now he's not frontin' the Funky Bunch."

Boat Of Car - The Johnny Cash sample "Daddy sang bass".

Cage & Aquarium - Contains the line "This is the spawning of the Cage and Aquarium" in the chorus; a skewed match to the song "Age of Aquarius" which contains the line "This is the dawning of the Age of Aquarius" in its chorus. Age of Aquarius is originally from the 60's musical "Hair", but is a well-known oldies song in its own right.

Dallas - The Yes song "We Have Heaven", from the album Fragile, begins "Tell the Moon-dog, tell the March-hare", which apparently inspired TMBG, already possessing the three opening words, to borrow this song's starting melody as well. The whole song is essentially a Yes style parody/tribute.

Damn Good Times - "She acts like David Lee Roth when he turned 21", song itself a reference to David Lee Roth's "Damn Good" from the 1987 DLR album "Skyscraper" Also, "I know a girl who's got a record machine," almost exactly the same as a line from "20 Flight Rock" by Eddie Cochran.

Fake Out In Buenos Aires - "Land of a thousand fake outs" reference to Land of a Thousand Dances, "Faker's Delight" reference to Rapper's Delight, "Fake Around The Clock" reference to Rock Around The Clock

Fibber Island - Flute outro is similar to "Strawberry Fields Forever" by The Beatles.

Free Bird's Rebirth - Reference to the Lynyrd Skynyrd song.

Happy Doesn't Have To Have An Ending - "Got a Valentine for Mr. Peter Tork" (the ex-Monkee), the rhythm of this line is also similar to the Monkees song "Zilch"; "Got a delivery for Mr. Peter Tork" (the following line) also brings to mind the scene from the Monkees' 1968 movie, Head, in which a man hands Peter a telegram, saying, "I've got a wire for a Monkee."

Hey, Mr. DJ, I Thought You Said We Had A Deal - last verse in which TMBG makes references to several of their own songs "Well, I told you about the world, it's address", "Chess Piece Face's patience must be wearing thin", etc., mimics the Beatles' "Glass Onion" ("I told you about Strawberry Fields", etc, in which the Beatles reference themselves)

Hillbilly Drummer Girl - roundabout reference to Elvis Presley through his Graceland estate
I Hope That I Get Old Before I Die - c.f. "Hope I die before I get old" in The Who's My Generation

Iowa - "If that broom don't fly I'm gonna buy you a Dustbuster" is a reference to Hush Little Baby

It's Not My Birthday - "When this grey world crumbles like a cake, I'll be hanging from the hope that I'll never see that recipe again" is a play on "Someone left the cake out in the rain...and I'll never have that recipe again" from "MacArthur Park" by Richard Harris.

Lucky Ball & Chain - A modified quote of Darlene Love's song "(Today I Met) The Boy I'm Gonna Marry" ("playing 'here comes the bride' when he walks in the door"), which itself references "The Wedding March (Here Comes the Bride)".

Maine - "The shaving razor's rusty, but the sting brings you exactly back to Maine" is
probably a reference to the Monkees song "Daydream Believer" ("The shaving razor's cold, and it stings"). Also, the intro to the song is very clearly lifted from the Beatles' "Good Day Sunshine" (note the identical keyboard intro and the copy of Ringo Starr's opening drum fill).

Mainstream U.S.A. - We Are the World (which TMBG have covered), guitar lick also sounds like Tequila

Memo To Human Resources - The line "Nevermind the furthermore, the plea is self-defense" can be found in the Monkees songs "Zilch" and "No Time".

Mr. Klaw - lyrics are a parody of the Theme From Mister Ed from the classic TV show

New Orleans - "There is a house in New Orleans" is a direct quote from The Animals' "House Of The Rising Sun"; style parody of Ozzy Osbourne

New York City - "The Empire State where Dylan lived"

Nothing's Gonna Change My Clothes - The title is probably a reference to "nothing's gonna change my world," a line from the Beatles song "Across The Universe."

Pencil Rain - "The possible dream" is a parody of the famous line "The impossible dream" from the musical version of "Don Quixote" (a cinematic reference to which being, of course, TMBG's namesake)

Put Your Hand Inside The Puppet Head - "Quit my job down at the carwash, didn't have to write no one a goodbye note" similar to "I quit my job down at the carwash, left my mother a goodbye note" in "Guitar Man" by Elvis Presley

Raleigh - Lists various acts that previously played at the Lincoln Theater

Retirement Village People - quite obviously a reference to the Village People

Rhythm Section Want Ad - Menudo, Euthrymics, MDC, Olive Oyl (from Popeye). Borrows Raymond Scott's "Powerhouse".

Sally Boy Candy Bar - Quotes lyrically and melodically from the line "I've been told when a boy kiss a girl" from the song "Boys" by The Shirelles and The Beatles.

Sapphire Bullets Of Pure Love - The lyric "Done someone wrong/And I fear that it was me" seems to be an interpolation of the line "Broke somebody's heart/And I fear that it was mine" from the song It Happened In Monterey by Frank Sinatra.

See The Constellation - The first line, "I lay my head on the railroad track" is almost the same as the first line from "Poor, Poor Pitiful Me," by Warren Zevon.

S-E-X-X-Y - The end of the song suddenly shifts into a minor, orchestra piece a la the Beatles "Glass Onion."

Sleepwalkers - The line "Perhaps when they awake they'll remember everything" refers to The Band's 1969 song "When You Awake" off their self-titled second album, whose chorus begins "When you awake you will remember everything"....

South Carolina - The "Lift that fork, eat that snail" part is a reference to the song "Ol' Man River."

Stomp Box - A musical nod to Gustav Mahler's Symphony #2 (The Resurrection) occurs at 00:47.

They Might Be Giants (1989 Rough Mix) - The line "They might be yelling out albatross" is a reference to Monty Python's "Albatross" sketch, which shows up in several places including the Monty Python Live at the Hollywood Bowl movie.

Thunderbird - "We'll have fun, fun, fun until T-bird takes her dad away" is some fun with The Beach Boys' song "Fun, Fun, Fun" - "And she'll have fun fun fun 'til her daddy takes the T-bird away."

Twisting - "She doesn't have to have her dB's records back" and "She doesn't have to have her Young Fresh Fellows tapes back." Also recalls the dance hit, "The Twist," by Hank Ballard and popularized by Chubby Checker. Twistin' (Live NYC) refers to Primus instead of Young Fresh Fellows.

Weep Day - The names of "Tambo" and "Urine Man", when put together, form "Tambourine Man", which of course refers to "Mr. Tambourine Man", by Bob Dylan, which has even been covered by TMBG.

We Just Go Nuts At Christmastime - The spelling out of "divorce" and "hell" comes from the song "D-I-V-O-R-C-E," written by Bobby Braddock and Curley Putman, and apparently performed by both Tammy Wynette and Dolly Parton.

We're The Replacements - Refers, of course, to punk rock band The Replacements. "Hey where's Tommy" refers specifically to bassist Tommy Stinson.

West Virginia - John Linnell has confirmed that the line "There's another deep inside you" is a reference to "Georgy Girl" by The Seekers, which has even been covered by TMBG.

Where Your Eyes Don't Go - Kurtis Blow. The bridge is a mix of the Perry Mason Theme and Someone's in the Kitchen with Dinah.

The World's Address - uses "Tonight" (Bernstein/Sondheim) from West Side Story as a central reference point: "Today the world was just an address/ a place for me to live in..."

Why Does The Sun Shine? (live versions) - When introducing the rocking version of this song at a show, John Flansburgh has been know to announce, "We want you to want the sun!" which is a reference to Cheap Trick's "I Want You To Want Me".

Why Does The Sun Really Shine? - Refutes the obsolete science in Hy Zaret's lyrics to "Why Does The Sun Shine?" (written in the 1950s) about the state of the sun

Why Must I Be Sad? - "I understand the words that Alice said." A healthy chunk of the lyrics are titles to Alice Cooper songs.

You'll Miss Me - "It must be raining 'cause a man ain't supposed to cry" is a reference to Dee Clark's 1961 hit "Raindrops".
#DTWD
Last edited by primusfan at Sep 26, 2010,
AFI does it a lot. In the song "Girl's Not Grey", he references a previous album. In the song"37mm", he says a prominent line from the song "Silver and Cold".
Be still my heart, I hear your back cracking...

...sounds like music to me
Metallica -The Judas KISS
White Zombie - Thunder KISS 65
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Suck My KISS

EDIT: Oh you meant SONGS? Nah I've got nothing.
Page 1 of 2