Hey guys I just turned 15 and I bought some recording software because I am seriously interested in creating my own music. I just need some help and advice from you experts out there. ok, first. When I try to record I have the absolute worst latency problem in the world due to having an older computer. I dont have the money to buy a whole new computer so I was just wondering if there were any ways around this like a USB recording thing that I saw today. ( like this http://www.buy.com/prod/usb-guitar-interface-link-recording-cable-for-pc-notebook-laptop-black/q/sellerid/18700237/loc/101/216726321.html )

I do have a digitech rp355 that has usb recording but I dont know what kind of cord I need to get so I just got an adapter and pluged it into my computers line-in. And is it better to plug the guitar into the computer or get a mic and put it next to the amp for recording?

Also for the drumming in songs, is it just best to use drum patterns that are premade or what? Do you play guitar then add drums or visa versa?

Thanks for reading this far, if you did lol. Your input would be just awesome!!
Quote by Verndaxo
Hey guys I just turned 15 and I bought some recording software because I am seriously interested in creating my own music. I just need some help and advice from you experts out there. ok, first. When I try to record I have the absolute worst latency problem in the world due to having an older computer. I dont have the money to buy a whole new computer so I was just wondering if there were any ways around this like a USB recording thing that I saw today. ( like this http://www.buy.com/prod/usb-guitar-interface-link-recording-cable-for-pc-notebook-laptop-black/q/sellerid/18700237/loc/101/216726321.html )

I do have a digitech rp355 that has usb recording but I dont know what kind of cord I need to get so I just got an adapter and pluged it into my computers line-in. And is it better to plug the guitar into the computer or get a mic and put it next to the amp for recording?

Also for the drumming in songs, is it just best to use drum patterns that are premade or what? Do you play guitar then add drums or visa versa?

Thanks for reading this far, if you did lol. Your input would be just awesome!!

First off, you should state what recording software you are using. If you have a really bad latency problem, I would recommend installing an AISO driver. http://www.asio4all.com/

Second, if you are plugging a pedal directly into your computer, It's most likely not going to sound very good.(For various reason) When you say ," And is it better to plug the guitar into the computer or get a mic and put it next to the amp for recording?" First off, if you have the right interface/DAW, its perfectly fine to plug your guitar into the computer. But Getting a mic, and decent sound quality, will probably cost you some money though, money that you most likely don't have. In regards to drumming in songs, since obviously you are going to have electronic drums, yes, it is better to use drum patterns/samples that are premade. Playing guitar first, or adding drums first is entirely up to you.

Hope this helps
-Sk8a123
i think UG should have a sub forum to the gear ads... for like recording equipment. not just guitars and amps and that stuff
hey man i actually have RP355 and am using it for my current recordings.. .check my music in my sig and if you like it i can tell you the way to go.. if your PC handles it then you wont be needing an interface for just recording your guitar and besides.. i dont think you are expecting a super-ultra-hi-end-studio quality so that'll do for a while till you get some recording skills
Quote by Verndaxo
Thanks so much. I am using cakewalk 5 btw.

oh wow. Cakewalk is a little advanced. Anyway, hope my previous post helped.
i think UG should have a sub forum to the gear ads... for like recording equipment. not just guitars and amps and that stuff
hey vendetta dude uh how do u use ur rp355? like how do u have it plugged into ur comp.
And yea cakewalk is a little out there lol.
well i actually plug it thru USB... my printer's cable has got teh same jack. so i plug it in, put the XLR output's cab simulation on, but connect to my amp via 1/4' without the cab sim...
put the volume of the computer in RP's pickup row down as its mostly too loud...

as for the computer in the DAW you gotta choose your audio harware to ASIO and then RP355 if youve already got your RP355 driver recorded. if o go to Digitech's site and click downloads if i remember correctly

hope that does the job if no again feel free to let me know
I would just forget about recording straight to your computer. Phone you nearest film/tv equipment hire company and get a recorder and a good mic for the weekend.
It is cheaper than you think. Get a Sound Devices recorder and a Sennheiser or Schoeps mic. You then simply drag the wav files straight over to your computer, no need to stress with all the capturing.

Wedding Video Wedding Videos Wedding Videographer