I am in a guitar-playing slump... I can't find any thing I really like to play. I've been playing for about a year and a half, just about everyday, and I just bought a Peavey Vypyr 75. I've tried writing my own music, but I just don't think I know enough about song-writing to make a decent song with good structure. I play a lot of metal and such, with drop tunings mostly. I listen to everything but rap and country, my second favorite "genre" being punk. Can you guys give me some tunes to jam to? Or even little-known scales? Thanks dudes.
Pffft, who cares?
Drop Z is where it's at.

"Stop playing those pussy notes son... Play some MAN CHORDS!"

Ó én sokkal! Én vagyok, hát egy leopárd!

Quote by schwinginbatman
Let me just ask a few questions.

How far along are you in your playing?
What kind of metal do you dig?

Well I can play a lot of metalcore and a little deathcore, I don't really know what else to tell you about that. And I like pretty much anything heavy and distorted.
Pffft, who cares?
Drop Z is where it's at.

Try something outside of the box. I'm not sure if you've actually LISTENED to rap, or if you're one of those "rap sucks because I heard 5 seconds of a Lil Wayne song" anti-rap guys.

Check out the Roots. It's "real rap", and incorporates actual instruments. Their guitarist is the bee's knees.
Quote by Bearded_Seth
Listen to BTBAM. Try learning it. Give up again.
My buddy's been walking that road for months now. I tried warning him.
Quote by Bearded_Seth
Listen to BTBAM. Try learning it. Give up again.

Exactly what happened to me about a month ago. Tuned down to C# standard, tried learning a few things (Mostly Selkies) and I gave up on that pretty quick.

But I stay in that tuning now.. I like it.
Quote by sic006
Well I can play a lot of metalcore and a little deathcore, I don't really know what else to tell you about that. And I like pretty much anything heavy and distorted.

I'd think maybe you should try some thrash. Like Kreator, Exodus, Nuclear Assault, Slayer. They're pretty fun to play. I'm gonna have to agree with the guy who mentioned rap, check Roots, RUN-D.M.C. (the songs Rock Box and King of Rock, specifically) and Public Enemy (try She Watch Channel Zero and Bring the Noise w/Anthrax) out. You may like them. Not all rap sucks.
I didn't mean old school rap, that's not too bad. But BTBAM, no way, unfortunately. And I just might try some of this new-fangled "thrash"...
Pffft, who cares?
Drop Z is where it's at.

Quote by sic006
I didn't mean old school rap, that's not too bad. But BTBAM, no way, unfortunately. And I just might try some of this new-fangled "thrash"...

It'll keep you busy. For a really, reaaaalllyyy long time. :P

Some deathcore, like... Chelsea Grin, they're really fun to cover.
Quote by sic006

May be a bump, but I'm gonna recommend these songs to play, I really enjoy playing them:

Kreator- People of the Lie
Kreator- When The Sun Burns Red
Metallica- Whiplash
Testament- Into the Pit
Nuclear Assault- Great Depression
Vio-Lence- World in a World
Blind Guardian- Majesty (this isn't thrash, speed metal, actually, but it's really fun to play too)
Make a chord progression. Record it. Play it through your amp's CD/MP3 line in unit. Solo along to it.

In fact, solo along to anything. Passes the time, makes you venture into new styles of lead playing.
Quote by sic006
I listen to everything but rap and country,

Suddenly I miss middle school.
Try learning some old AFI, 1999- 2002 era. Fast, energetic, and not horridly simply all the way through. Try some stuff from the album the Art of Drowning.
Be still my heart, I hear your back cracking...

...sounds like music to me
1. Try out new music
2. Get Inspired
3.Play It
4.?????
5.Profit!
Quote by tacaco1000
yes, babies tend to become a blue gooey liquid when kept inside a plastic bottle in the dark for a year.
Tanks foar teh sugjestions geyes I'll look into all of zem wen I gots da timez.
Pffft, who cares?
Drop Z is where it's at.

Quote by sic006
Tanks foar teh sugjestions geyes I'll look into all of zem wen I gots da timez.

Everyone now regrets helping you.
Quote by TomusAM
Everyone now regrets helping you.

Good.
Pffft, who cares?
Drop Z is where it's at.

Quote by sic006
Good.

Okay, you spelled good correct. That is good. In which case, my advice is, look at who inspired you to play and listen to them, and watch them play. Look at some lessons from those players, if you can find them. Getting in slumps is really stressful, so just pushing onward.
Quote by cyco_bob56
Vagiant - "Seven"
Ramones - "Blitzkrieg Bop"
Fleetwood Mac - "Rhiannon"

Not alot of technique went into these songs, but dammit if they aren't good.

I've actually been meaning to look into the Ramones, but I always forget.
Pffft, who cares?
Drop Z is where it's at.

Quote by sic006
I've actually been meaning to look into the Ramones, but I always forget.

Do it. Punk being your second choice, listen to bands from that genre and then move towards grunge rock. There's all kinds of music out there, just gotta look.