I was asked to design a capture the flag-type game for my school's ancient rome club. i've already come up with a basic rule set:

::LEGION::
STRATEGIC ROMAN WARFARE

Legion is a turn-based mock warfare game. There are two teams: The RED team, and the BLUE team. The goal of the game is to take your team's flag (aquila) to the other player's goal, their CAPITAL.
This game is meant to be played on a flat, rectangular field, but is still suitable in other terrains and set ups. The field will be divided into two sectors, the RED or BLUE territories. While within your own territory, you can move freely to any area in your own territory. While within an enemy territory, you can only take as many steps as allotted to your rank.
Each game has two (or more) commanders, known as the Legatus (-i). They will decide the movements of each of their troops, strategically moving them all towards the enemy goal.

Soldiers can freely move within a three feet radius to avoid and engage enemies, even when it is not their turn to move.

the PLAYERS
(I) LEGATUS (Team Commander) ∞ STEPS
Commander of the team. Moves troops to their area of choice.
Does not die.
(II) CENTURIO (Heavy Infantry) 7 STEPS
Heavy infantry. Conscripts soldiers. Only one.
Takes 3 legal hits before death.
Death of the centurio ends conscription.
(III) AQUILIFER (Flag-bearer) 3 STEPS
Carries the Team flag. Only one.
Removal of 3 flags is death. Death of aquilifer loses the game.
(IV) MILITES (Light Infantry) 5 STEPS
Basic unit. Protects the aquilifer and attacks opposing aquilifer.
Killed if hit in any of the legal areas.

CONSCRIPTION:
If you are killed, you are sent back to the Capital. The centurio then can recruit you again as a milites the next time an opposing team member has been killed. This is known as conscription. If your team's centurio is killed in combat, conscription no longer can take place.

AQUILA:
The aquila is the team flag. They are always carried by the aquilifer. It has one large flag with the respective team's color on it. It also has three smaller flags on it that must be taken off in order to stop it.

LEGAL HITS:
(I) In order to kill infantry, you must hit them! Each milites will receive a gladius (sword). When using the gladius, the legal areas are:
The legs
The arms
The chest
It is ILLEGAL to hit anywhere on the head, or in the groin. This will result in a warning first, and on the second offense, an out. Gladii are to be used by the longer side, rather than by a stabbing attack.
(II) The centurio receives a pilum (spear). When using a pilum the legal areas are the same as that of a gladius. However, they are to be used by a stabbing (pushing) attack rather than a slap with the stick.

PROMOTION:
(I) At the end of a game, either through death of the aquilifer or by reaching the goal, the Legatus steps down from their position and passes it on to the next person in line.
(II) The Centurio will be promoted to Legatus.
(III) The Aquilifer will be promoted to Centurio.
(IV) Milites are given the option to become the aquilifer for the next game.

FOR LARGE GROUPS:
If playing with a large group (30 people or more), then teams can be divided into multiple legions, each with a centurio. Each centurio then can make decisions for their own legion, but answers up to the legatus first and foremost. In this game, the entire field can only be navigated according to how many steps you can take, as if you were in enemy territory. Each legion has their own aquilifer, and all aquilifers on the opposing team must be defeated for victory. The death of a legion’s aquilifer takes out all the milites on the defeated legion. On a multiple-legion game, the entire field must be navigated by the allotted number of steps.

VICTORY CONDITIONS:
The standard victory condition for a single-legion game is to reach the other team’s Capital. However, victory (and vice-versa, a loss) can also be attained through other methods:
· Killing the opposing team’s aquilifer by taking off their three flags.
· Death of all milites and centurio.
· In a timed game, a time out.
In a multiple-legion game, the goal no longer is to reach the other team’s Capital, but to defeat all of the aquilifer on the other team.

CAMPAIGN:
Campaigns take place over multiple games. Each game is timed, and if no victor is clear by the end of a game, then the victor will be chosen by a coin toss or rock-paper-scissors. It is reommended that campaigns are composed of 3 games. A campaign victory can also be decided based on the amount of “kills” a legion has attained. Campaigns can also be based on actual historical wars, and have similar battle conditions. The victorious commander of a campaign will receive the title of “Invictus.”

so what do you guys think? any issues with the rules you see, and improvements you think we can make?
Very Interesting......
Quote by tacaco1000
yes, babies tend to become a blue gooey liquid when kept inside a plastic bottle in the dark for a year.
That actually sounds pretty damn awesome.
Quote by Riffofthebeast
hitler could have conquered the entire world if he just sent an assasin to every enemy country and have their leader assasinated
I kinda based it on RTS's. I really like the Age of Empires series and Starcraft, and wanted to have that same commander feeling for a real-life game.
Quote by young slapper
You should make everywhere Roman Helmets...
If I actually knew how to cheaply make them! The crappy ones from Party City and et cetera are like $20 a pop.
Quote by piratemetalhead
somebodys going to have their nuts stabbed by a spear, get a lawyer first

shoot, you figured out my agenda behind a two hit penalty
This is a two-player game with human pieces to actually battle yes?

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

No, this is actually meant for large groups.

The minimum number of players is actually 8, but i designed this game with about 30-ish people around, as a club activity.
But two players make all the decisions.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Oh, well yeah. basically. but it's up to each of your soldiers not to suck on the battlefield.