After having a solid state Fender for like 4 years, then it breaking and then only having VST sims for like 3 more years, I finally got a job and saved up.

I was going to do the epic box opening act and be all like "Oh noes wut is this? Bubble wrap ect" but the FedEx guy woke me up and I opened it real quick just to make sure it worked and everything.

Now it R pic tiem:

Good ole Maysuh.

It's a Mesa Boogie Mark IV Widebody combo.
Got it for $999 off ebay, a deal I couldn't really pass up.

Epic angle.

Side shot

Other side shot

Back

t00bs!!!

With guitar. (Ignore the green walls with spackling everywhere. I'm painting my room soon.)

Right there, that's all I have. Just a guitar and that amp. Oh and a Crate 4x12 that I just brought out of my closet, I'll explain how it sounds below. I'm saving for either a few individual pedals or something like the Line 6 M13 also. Getting some gear sure is taking awhile.

Review:
Hmmm... what is there to say. I guess if you're buying blindly, but listen to every demo you can, every clip you can find, read countless of reviews and everything, you should be good to go. What I mean is that... this amp is EXACTLY as I expected. Almost down to every last detail. Never played one before but it does and sounds exactly like I imagined.

Clean channel is a bit sterile, but I like it. When you crank it, there's a lot more warmth and this channel can sound amazing if you set it up right. But if you want it to sound good, the 2nd channel suffers quite a bit as they share both Mid and Bass.

Most people seem to hate or not like channel 2 very much. Well first, you have to know what you're doing with EQ, and second, you have to use it for the right style of music.

Channel 3.

That is all.

No not really.

Where to start. Many people say this channel has too much gain to ever use, many say it doesn't have enough. I'm in the middle - it has just enough, and cranking the Lead Drive and Gain both to 10... it's really all usable. But I like to keep both at around 8 with the Lead Gain pulled out. This is "fat" mode, pretty much just beefs up the sound, tightens and adds a bit more gain. If you pull out the Lead Drive, it's "bright" mode. Pretty much does the same thing, but tightens up the high mids. They both tighten up a different spectrum of the the EQ.

The EQ is weird. I want to say the actual EQ knobs are pre-preamp, as they react that way. They affect the response and feel of the amp more-so than what a normal EQ section would. If you've ever put an EQ pedal in front of your amp rather than in the loop, you know what I mean. It's just different. It's more like EQing your guitar signal first, then amplifying that then just EQing the all-around sound.

This is where you can make the amp sound super muddy, to round sounding, to super tight, to really clanky tight. The mid knob gets the award for doing almost nothing.

Now, the EQ sliders... I generally use the classic V shape. The amp just sounds the best like that. It's not like I'm totally scooping out the midrange. Though taking the 750 slider all the way down can get some pretty scooped Metallica sounds.

Now I'll talk about the combo itself VS. hooking it up to my crappy Crate 4x12. Totally different sounds. The C90 Black Shadow is VERY middy, and has this top end rolloff, but peircing high-mid sound. I don't like it too much, and I plan to probably change it out to a V30 or something.The Crate 4x12 has this very scooped, yet boxy sound to it. It's much more fizzy than the Black Shadow.

So pretty much, I really like the sound of this amp, I just don't like the speaker choice I'm forced to use right now. What's weird is that together they sound alright, they kind of balance each other out.

But like I said before, I plan to change out the black shadow for a V30... or probably just get some 2x12 with V30's. I'm thinking a nice custom Avatar 2x12 or maybe save up for a Mesa 2x12. I also plan to get some new pickups as the stock pickups in my Ibanez are nasty.

Clips soon.

edit:
Clips! Comparison between the Crate 4x12, the stock Black Shadow, and the Recording Out direct signal.

http://netmusicians.org/index.php?section=id&value=8032 Crate cab
http://netmusicians.org/index.php?section=id&value=8033 Black Shadow
http://netmusicians.org/index.php?section=id&value=8034 Both mixed together
http://netmusicians.org/index.php?section=id&value=8035 Direct with impulses.

Sorry for any sloppiness, my amp is blaring in the same room and I can barely hear the drum track, haha. Don't have any headphones at the moment.
Last edited by Ignite at Sep 27, 2010,
very cool. hnad
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
HNAD!
that beast looks heavier than a truck!
Gear

Ibanez RG350DX Electric Guitar With DiMarzio Tone Zone
Academy Electric Guitar
BeaverCreek Acoustic Guitar

Roland Micro Cube Amp
Academy 15W Amp
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey Sanpera Footswitch I
Radical bear mate. HNAD!
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
HNAD! You figured out the interaction between the tone controls much quicker than most. Myself included. Did you read the manual? The knobs come after the first triode, GEQ comes aftert the preamp section as a whole.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Eh-puc!
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Lol Maysuh, happy new amp day.

How much did that cost you?
Me and my girlfriend were in a guitar store one day.

My GF- What's the difference between Gibson and Epiphone?

Me- (Explains)

GF- So Epiphone is like Gibson's slutty little sister?

Me- I love you.
Last edited by Kyle-Rehm at Sep 26, 2010,
Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Lol Maysuh, happy new amp day.

How much did that cost you?

Someone didn't actually read the OP
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
HNAD!!

The EQ is a bit strange at first. Its actually alright once you get used to it, but it can get messy at first. A good hint for the R2 channel - turning up the Treble and Presence will add gain too, but too much presence sounds crap.
The 8/Pulled 8/Pulled settings for the Lead Gain and Lead Drive work great for me too.

Oh yeah, be careful when you turn up the Output Level; it gets to just under 2 and then BOOM, the volume jumps up a HEAP.

EDIT: If you want a REALLY great speaker to use with the Mark IV, look into an EVM12L. I wouldn't put a V30 into the combo alone though, even though you'll probably never be able to crank it, I wouldn't risk a 60 watt speaker with an 85 watt amp.
Last edited by littlephil at Sep 26, 2010,
that's a nice setup for sure.
2 quality pieces. that s looks nice!
probably about time I did some looking into ibanez.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Thanks everyone. I'm working on some comparison clips with the Black Shadow and the Crate cab. I'm not really sure how I could demo the first 2 channels though... Not sure what to play.

Quote by littlephil
HNAD!!

The EQ is a bit strange at first. Its actually alright once you get used to it, but it can get messy at first. A good hint for the R2 channel - turning up the Treble and Presence will add gain too, but too much presence sounds crap.
The 8/Pulled 8/Pulled settings for the Lead Gain and Lead Drive work great for me too.

Oh yeah, be careful when you turn up the Output Level; it gets to just under 2 and then BOOM, the volume jumps up a HEAP.

EDIT: If you want a REALLY great speaker to use with the Mark IV, look into an EVM12L. I wouldn't put a V30 into the combo alone though, even though you'll probably never be able to crank it, I wouldn't risk a 60 watt speaker with an 85 watt amp.

<-- to myself

I didn't think of that for some reason. Yeah everyone says the EVM is great in the combos.
Quote by CL/\SH
Someone didn't actually read the OP

Went back and found it, my eyes jumped from one picture to the other and I missed the couple lines of text.
Me and my girlfriend were in a guitar store one day.

My GF- What's the difference between Gibson and Epiphone?

Me- (Explains)

GF- So Epiphone is like Gibson's slutty little sister?

Me- I love you.
Clips! Comparison between the Crate 4x12, the stock Black Shadow, and the Recording Out direct signal.

http://netmusicians.org/index.php?section=id&value=8032 Crate cab
http://netmusicians.org/index.php?section=id&value=8033 Black Shadow
http://netmusicians.org/index.php?section=id&value=8034 Both mixed together
http://netmusicians.org/index.php?section=id&value=8035 Direct with impulses.

Sorry for any sloppiness, my amp is blaring in the same room and I can barely hear the drum track, haha. Don't have any headphones at the moment.

edit:
Also note that I COMPLETELY scooped the midrange with the Black Shadow, but it's still full of mids. Really shows how middy that speaker is.
Last edited by Ignite at Sep 27, 2010,
Thanks, that's what I think to.

If I messed around more with mic positions I could make it sound better. Of course if I had better pickups, a better cab, and a better mic... yeah. But I'm working on that while trying to make the best of what I've got so far.
Dude, epic amp. How are the casters attached? Does the amp just sit on em or are they screwed in? I should do that with my combo, heavy as hell. I can carry that and a 2x12 at once, but pushing one on top of the other would be even cooler.

Quote by AcousticMirror
probably about time I did some looking into ibanez.

You should get a lawsuit-era guitar. We can be Ibanez buddies.

It's also about time you join the Ampeg army also, I know you wanna pick up bass playing.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Last edited by DeathByDestroyr at Sep 27, 2010,
Sexy!
Washburn HM Idol w/ SD JB in bridge > Ibanez Weeping Demon > Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey > Boss NS-2 > Boss DD-6 > Egnater Renegade > Splawn 2x12 w/ Weber Sig12Bs

Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Dude, epic amp. How are the casters attached? Does the amp just sit on em or are they screwed in? I should do that with my combo, heavy as hell. I can carry that and a 2x12 at once, but pushing one on top of the other would be even cooler.

They actually slide in. It's weird... there's a little button that you push in, slide the caster in, and when it's all the way in, the little button pops back up and locks it in place.
HNAD! I really miss my Mark IV.. It just wasn't doing everything I wanted. I'm sure I'll own one again someday.-
/rig