I saw a yellow Gibson Flying V bass at this vintage/rare guitar store in Lexington, KY.

It was like $250!! It has to be fake. If I had a picture I'd post it. What do you think? Should I buy it? I'm in the market for my first bass.
!
It's absolutely a fake I'm going to say...

HOWEVER, if it's your first bass, do you like the way it feels? Do you like the way it sounds? Is it worth 250 to you? That's all that really matters I would say.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
its also possible that the owner has no clue what they have.
i would grab it as long as its not a bolt on neck.
Are you sure it wasn't an Epiphone? Most reputable shops won't sell an obvious counterfeit instrument. I would definitely stay away from a counterfeit. If it is an Epiphone, then try it out and see if you like it.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
There are a lot of old school Gibsons that go for pretty cheap, namely the least popular ones. I've seen Victorys go for as low as $350 on US eBay and only a little more over here. If it is actually real chances are it's pretty banged up and/or needs a bit of work, or as mentioned above the owner doesn't know what they have and just want to get rid of it.
If it's an Epiphone in mint condition offer them $150-200. Pics would bbe a great help here.
Oh, and just remember. Just because it's a Gibson doesn't mean it's good.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by Alucard817
its also possible that the owner has no clue what they have.
i would grab it as long as its not a bolt on neck.

What does that have to do with anything?

Oh, and just remember. Just because it's a Gibson doesn't mean it's good.

This. I've owned a couple of Gibsons in the time I've been playing and they've both been pretty bad basses.
^Because the real ones had a set neck.
That having said, the real ones were only made from '80-'81 as a single run. I believe there were only something like 350 made. Mostly for the American market, 'tho some absconded to Europe. Rare as rocking horse poo, I believe the expression is.
Chances are this one's not a real Gibbo. Or, being that it's yellow, it's an utter shed which has been (ahem) 'modified'.
If it plays well, and you get on with the shape - they're a swine to sit down with - go for it. The tone's not everyone's cup of tea either, so be sure that's ok for you.
Quote by Ziphoblat
What does that have to do with anything?

um original gibby's have set necks
Quote by Alucard817
um most original gibby's have set necks

fixed.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Who says it's a fake Gibson? Without details or a photo...
Quote by consecutive e
fixed.

ok allow me to rephrase that. gibson flying V's have set necks.