How difficult/worth it would it be to change this guitar into a 12 string?

It's got just about the nicest cleans, better than my strat for sure.

Also, it's repaired to the point where it has new grover tuners and strings attached to it, so the lack of nut/tuner isn't an issue anymore.

EDIT:
The biggest thing I'm worried about is how the non adjustable reinforcing rod will hold up?
Last edited by Knurlheim at Sep 26, 2010,
Alot more work than you want to do, plus, that is a very very nice looking guitar, I wouldn't want you to gut the thing to turn it into a 12 string, which would require a new headstock really, unless there is enough room to drill out tuners inbwetween the original tuners. I would just leave it as it, unless you can put a different neck on it, looks like a bolt on, but I can't see the back.
I was thinking that there's tons of room on the other side of the headstock?

Also the bridge could be altered quite easily to accommodate 12 strings.
you might be able to drill holes for the other tuners on the other side of the headstock and have it like more of a gibson style with six on each side
A tiny 12string guitar

hey, itd look sexy

if you got the time and the knowledge i say geif it a go
Quote by Dragox
A tiny 12string guitar

hey, itd look sexy

if you got the time and the knowledge i say geif it a go

The crazy thing is that it's actually 25" scale.
Quote by Knurlheim
The crazy thing is that it's actually 25" scale.

lol my eyes become deceiving at near 4am, or is it cause of the glasses being caked in kebab grease, either way, itd look insain xD
Quote by Knurlheim
I was thinking that there's tons of room on the other side of the headstock?

Also the bridge could be altered quite easily to accommodate 12 strings.

That headstock is not designed with that in mind, it would be best to drill our the tuners on the side with the rest, looks like there is enough room, you'll just have to replace them all with mini tuners so you can actually turn the heads. Careful measurements will prove most useful when finding the right tuning heads.

Also, what kind of bridge is that? I don't think I've seen one like that before, and do you think you can put a 12 string bridge in it's place, something like a TOM bridge?
The bridge is really super crappy. I've never seen anything like it.

On old teles the saddles each held 2 strings, which made people cranky. This bridge has a bar across the entire 6 strings with an adjustment at either end, so intonation is impossible ATM.

The bridge is also pretty low, so maybe not a TOM?
If its a non adjustable truss rod designed for 6 strings then your going to have serious issues with 6 extra strings. 12 string necks are designed to use 12 strings not just guitars they put extra strings on.
Pretty sure it will end in tears.

Looking at it; it seems somebody has already had their way with it.

They have put that PG on there and moved the pups right over so they aren't in line with the neck/bridge any more.

That, the truss rod (lack of) and no way will you be able to fit 6 more tuners on the same side as the original, nor can you fit them on the other side, due to the curve in the head stock.

Best you could do, would be make it an 8 string, with two on the opposite side of the neck. But then will you have enough width on the neck to do it?
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!