I'm upgrading to a new guitar from my old Epiphone SG Special. I've been playing for only a year, and not that good at guitar yet, so pretty inexperienced...
When I get this new guitar I will have a 15-20W Tube Amp, probably something like a Blackstar, Egnater, Vox, or something like that. (Please dont talk about what amp
I'm getting, focus on the guitar)

What I need in this guitar:
24 Frets (easy to access all the way up to the 24th fret)
No fat necks, nothing much bigger than my SG
Passive Pickups
$500 Budget (Will buy used and might push to 600 if its worth it)
MUST be able to play it before I buy it
Fixed Bridge (I'll work around a Floyd Rose... only if its really worth it)
At least 2 pickups, and at least one Humbucker

What I want in this guitar:
Inlays other than dots
Coil splitting would be nice
Nice finish

Hope this isn't too much to ask for with $500... I play pretty much everything, but love to get a nice higher gained crunch, so around rockish gain tones, but I do tend to play some metal sometimes.

I've looked at Ibanez SZ720FM, Schecter C-1 Custom, Ibanez RG3EXFM1 (with pickups replacement), but I am completely open to anything you guys recommend. I really love thin necks like the Wizard II's...

I live in USA, and thanks in advance!!
Last edited by Agent P at Sep 26, 2010,
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
Last edited by megano28 at Sep 26, 2010,
RG3EXFM1 ftw! Got some Dimarzio's swapped into mine, and it is now my most played guitar.
LTD EC-1000 VB
Ibanez RG3EXFM1 (Dimarzio Mo' Joe in bridge, PAF Joe in neck, and Sperzels)
KFG Custom
Ibanez RG2550Z Galaxy White
Epiphone Thunderhorse Explorer

Marshall AVT 275
search for some sg shaped guitars second hand. i know some ltd/esp's have the 24 frets but some have active pickups.

music store near me had a gibson SG new for 700 euro's with 24 frets passives and a wicked finish. salesman said it was standard but i to this day haven't found one standard the same as that one.
I would rather not get another SG shaped guitar... I like the Ibanez RGT42FXQM. But with the RG3EXFM1 does it have good sustain? A nice sturdy build? I've heard the stock pickups are very muddy... so pickup swap would be needed.

Also, is there much of a difference for if I get a $600 (RGT42FXQM) guitar with good stock pickups, or if I buy a $300 (RG3EXFM1) guitar with not so good pickups, and use $300 on new great pickups?

EDIT: I am starting to very much like the looks and specs of the Schecter C-1 Custom actually. 24 Frets, Coil Splitting, Neck isn't fat, 2 Humbuckers (Seymour Duncan Custom Customs), Cool inlays, grreat finish, Fixed Bridge, 2 Volume controls, and all in my price range. Although I do like the feel of Ibanez's better... that's the only thing. Ibanez should come out with some more fixed bridge guitars.
Last edited by Agent P at Sep 27, 2010,
Quote by Agent P
I would rather not get another SG shaped guitar... I like the Ibanez RGT42FXQM. But with the RG3EXFM1 does it have good sustain? A nice sturdy build? I've heard the stock pickups are very muddy... so pickup swap would be needed.

Also, is there much of a difference for if I get a $600 (RGT42FXQM) guitar with good stock pickups, or if I buy a $300 (RG3EXFM1) guitar with not so good pickups, and use $300 on new great pickups?

EDIT: I am starting to very much like the looks and specs of the Schecter C-1 Custom actually. 24 Frets, Coil Splitting, Neck isn't fat, 2 Humbuckers (Seymour Duncan Custom Customs), Cool inlays, grreat finish, Fixed Bridge, 2 Volume controls, and all in my price range. Although I do like the feel of Ibanez's better... that's the only thing. Ibanez should come out with some more fixed bridge guitars.

thats cool, you should try them both out though, the schecter neck might not be the thick but it can't compete woth an ibanez neck, almost nothing can
Quote by EndTheRapture51

Quote by EndThecRinge51

I'm not getting anything I can't play first. If you think I'm stupid for that, suit yourself, I'd hate to get a guitar online, and end up hating it. And besides the Schecter C-1 Custom has the same specs... about.
Does anyone actually own a Schecter C-1 Custom? How well is it's sustain? Does it stay in tune? And is the neck comfortable? How are the pickups and coil splitting?
Or Blbmbr666 how is your RG3EXFM1 - Same questions, sustain, and how it sounds with new pickups it in.

The one reason I may want the Schecter over an Ibanez is the fact the I play around an even moderation of genres. So I've heard Ibanez does its best on metal... but I am not sure yet.
Quote by Agent P
I'm not getting anything I can't play first. If you think I'm stupid for that, suit yourself, I'd hate to get a guitar online, and end up hating it. And besides the Schecter C-1 Custom has the same specs... about.

well the thing is that if you know what you're looking for, you shouldn't worry about ordering online. As of matter of fact ordering online or through ebay could end up saving you a crapload of cash. I have bought almost all of my guitars online and of them all, I maybe regretted one, but I ended up selling it for a higher value than I paid for it so I haven't really lost that much from doing so. Nobody thinks you're stupid, those were your words not mine. I can understand why you'd like to try them out first, but you shouldn't completely rule out buying online as well. About your Ibanez being a metal guitar comment, check out people such as steve vai and joe satriani...they are anything but.
Quote by EndTheRapture51

Quote by EndThecRinge51

Yeah what I meant by that, is I'm okay ordering online, I would just really like to at least get a feel for the guitar before I get it. Even if it is not the exact same one as the one online. And thanks for the clear up on the Ibanez, although the RG3EXFM1 does look a bit like a metal guitar with those inlays.

And love your sig, I don't know if it was a fail insult to an Xbox or if he meant to compliment it... lol
I dont own a custom but I own a C-1 Hellraiser.I love it a lot. and by the sound's of it schecter would probably be more of the guitar your looking for.

it has coil tapping ability your looking for. and I think (based on the spec's) the C-1 will have a better sustain then the RG. tho I doubt by very much.
A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence.