So I thought I had my heart set on getting a Spector legend 5. But I was looking around and I noticed the Steinberger Spirit XT-25 and I thought "hmm it looks well made and it is couple hundred bucks cheaper why not".

So can anyone offer any insight into the Steinberger? I am going to be using this bass for gigs, it will be my main bass and I play progressive technical stuff.
a good friend of mine has a stienberg guitar that i've spent quite a bit of time with. It plays really well, and the sound is decent. it was a really bright tone, and i think that comes from the lack of wood on the guitar. but, I also never really spend anytime EQing his setup either. I would imagine this to be the case with the bass as well, although it might make the bass pretty "punchy" sounding.

they are very comfortable to play and aeem to be really well balanced (the guitars are, anyway). I wouldn't be suprised if the basses were a bit neck heavy.
Back in the 80s, during the Steinberger craze, they were very popular instruments because of how radical they looked. I can't speak for the new ones, but the ones made back then were of excellent quality. A lot of people found the sound unsatisfying. They were all midrange with a bit of treble. They had no low end. Also, the lack of a headstock takes a bit of getting used to. You might be surprised at how easily your fretting hand tends to slide off of the neck when playing down near the nut.

If you like the bass, then by all means go for it (as long as the quality of the new ones is of the same caliber). Just understand that they aren't the most versatile basses on the market.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Steinberger originally created all graphite and graphite-necked instruments. Now the Steinberger name is owned by Gibson, and they produce the Synapse series basses, which are all maple with a graphite core, and the Spirit series (what you're looking at) which are all wood. The only real similarities between current Steinbergers and the graphite ones of the past is the basic design. The old Steinbergers are fantastic, well made basses, however the Synapses are (at least I feel) far overpriced, and the Spirit's are kind of meh. If you want a wood headless bass, give Hohner a look, they're slightly better made than the Spirits, although they're a bit more expensive. The wood licensed copies and Synapse series don't share the clarity and tone you get with the graphite instruments, so don't expect them to be similar to the originals.

Like all headless basses though, they balance very well, and it does take a bit to get used to having no headstock.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass