ok well, im looking to buy my first ever 7 string guitar after playing one last week
that one was an ibanez s7420 in white, loved the shit out of it, well playabilitywise...i never plugged it in.
ANYWAY i started getting real comfortable playing metal in forms of standard tuning and i want to have the definition like playing in standard tuning, but just sounding ballsy as hell with the low b too, so im convinced, my next guitar will be a 7 string

thing is i really dont know where to begin looking at good brands and stuff like that, and if any of you seven stringers have tips or something that would be good too, so help a brotha out! :P

thank you in advance!
EDIT:
stupid me
playing out of a peavey valveking 112 or my 6505+
buget probably 500 -800 usd
i would prefer a non tremolo bridge, but the ibanez zr i fell would be tons less a pain in the ass as compared to my hellraiser FR, but if not, i can manage anyway
Quote by tukk04

almost forgot...
thats for you TS/n00b

Quote by timeconsumer09
No, just disregard all the posts in this thread that say that the tone is noticeably worse when it's dying...

i should have read the thread
Last edited by Nolifemusician3 at Sep 27, 2010,
Ibanez Prestige or Schecter Hellraiser. Depends what you want more. Hellraiser for metal, Prestige for tone.
P
Quote by Guitar Sushi
Yes. And then have a think about it.

What's to think about? Agile's 7 strings are great, and it seems like you ignored his budget. An ibanez prestige 7 for $500-$800? On what planet? Schecters also have very wide necks, and aren't the end-all for metal guitars.

Something important for the OP, are you okay with a 25.5" scale, or do you want a longer scale, like 27" or baritone 28". Agiles are tough to beat if you want a 27" scale neck through 7 string.
LTD MH-250NT (With EMG 81/85)
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Quote by Mitochondria9
P

What's to think about? Agile's 7 strings are great, and it seems like you ignored his budget. An ibanez prestige 7 for $500-$800? On what planet? Schecters also have very wide necks, and aren't the end-all for metal guitars.

Something important for the OP, are you okay with a 25.5" scale, or do you want a longer scale, like 27" or baritone 28". Agiles are tough to beat if you want a 27" scale neck through 7 string.

wow i never thought about that! umm im not too sure really, is there a big difference in sound with a baritone or a regular 25.5 scale length?
also, i posted the buget last minute because im a retard, and i beleive he already posted before i edited my post.

i was checking out alot more of rondos stuff, and they had a really cool stringthrough guitar, 25.5 and the routing would fit with some emgs and blackouts, i could afford to do that a few weeks after i got this thing.
is an agile neck not much bigger than an ibanez neck? becaues i tried one of those and it was very easy to play

linkage!
http://www.rondomusic.com/septorpro725ebwhte.html
Quote by tukk04

almost forgot...
thats for you TS/n00b

Quote by timeconsumer09
No, just disregard all the posts in this thread that say that the tone is noticeably worse when it's dying...

Last edited by Nolifemusician3 at Sep 27, 2010,
Quote by Nolifemusician3
wow i never thought about that! umm im not too sure really, is there a big difference in sound with a baritone or a regular 25.5 scale length?
also, i posted the buget last minute because im a retard, and i beleive he already posted before i edited my post.

i was checking out alot more of rondos stuff, and they had a really cool stringthrough guitar, 25.5 and the routing would fit with some emgs and blackouts, i could afford to do that a few weeks after i got this thing.
is an agile neck not much bigger than an ibanez neck? becaues i tried one of those and it was very easy to play

linkage!
http://www.rondomusic.com/septorpro725ebwhte.html

baritones are optimal for drop tunings
Gear:

LTD MH-50
Peavey Vypyr 30
A long scale allows for lower tunings without requiring stupid thick strings.

A 27" scale 7 string (the Agile 727s for instance) are strung with .09-.56 gauge for B Standard.

You could drop the B to an A for Drop A and still probably only need a .60, whereas you'd need a .65 or thicker on a 25.5" scale for the string to not be floppy.

And yes, Ive heard Agile necks are pretty thin.

Im probably going to buy the purple quilt Interceptor 727.
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
alright alright, i went back to the local shop today and i played the ibanez again, but i plugged it in. it was pretty sweet but the pickups just didnt deliver the distortion well and i was playing out of an ENGL.
i really dont plan on drop tuning the guitar at all, maybe ill make it a half step down, but that would be the furthest
ill definately keep looking at more agiles but i know that ibanez and rondo arent the companies that make ERGs
Quote by tukk04

almost forgot...
thats for you TS/n00b

Quote by timeconsumer09

From a large amount of people i've gathered that Ibanez's pickups are not very good at all, a nice set of Bareknuckles or Dimarzios would really make it come alive.
Quote by Nolifemusician3
alright alright, i went back to the local shop today and i played the ibanez again, but i plugged it in. it was pretty sweet but the pickups just didnt deliver the distortion well and i was playing out of an ENGL.
i really dont plan on drop tuning the guitar at all, maybe ill make it a half step down, but that would be the furthest
ill definately keep looking at more agiles but i know that ibanez and rondo arent the companies that make ERGs

Thats cool, for the price range, Id look at the RGA7, the S7420, and the 727 or 725 Interceptors.

Yeah, Ibanez stock pickups are rather weak, BKPs are nice, if you wanna go the passive route. The D-Sonic 7 is also a very nice pickup, I have the 6 string version in my RGT, I love it.
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Last edited by Mitochondria9 at Sep 27, 2010,
Also look for used 7 String M series LTDs especially the MH307 and MH417 or maybe even a Stephen Carpenter Signature.