I'm looking for a new pedal and the Tube King from what i've read "sounds like"like a good buy.I will be playing through a Fendar Hot Rod Deluxe with a Gibson SG Standard.I'm looking for a Stoner Rock/Metal kind of sound.Think Sabbath,Down,Orange Goblin etc. Anyone use or have experience with this pedal?Good,bad?Thanks.
Best thing to do is try with your guitar and amp and see how it sounds.
I wouldn't recommend the Tube King for what you're playing. It'll do rock just fine, but is not for metal in any way and isn't capable of that fat, fuzzy stoner rock sound.
Quote by sstony
Best thing to do is try with your guitar and amp and see how it sounds.

For sure that would be the thing to do but I have to order it online and I really dont want to deal with returns.Witch is why i'm asking for opinions.Its pretty much going to be a flip of the coin.
Quote by Guitarmiester
I wouldn't recommend the Tube King for what you're playing. It'll do rock just fine, but is not for metal in any way and isn't capable of that fat, fuzzy stoner rock sound.

Do you have a pedal that you would recommend looking into?
I'd say look into fuzz pedals. I don't have much experience with fuzz pedals, so it's tough to recommend one. The only fuzz pedal I've used that I actually really liked was a rare, custom pedal - Sanford & Sonny BlueBeard Fuzz.
^Great Big Muff clone.

Big Muffs are good for this sort of thing, check out the stuff on stompunderfoot.com for some great clones.

I think a couple of metal bands use the Tube King on top of their OD channel, Mastodon, I think for one. I don't recommend it for use on a HRD, the HRD's drive channel is teh poops.

a good metal pedal? Perhaps a Wampler Wreckstortion?
Quote by forsaknazrael
^Great Big Muff clone.

Big Muffs are good for this sort of thing, check out the stuff on stompunderfoot.com for some great clones.

I think a couple of metal bands use the Tube King on top of their OD channel, Mastodon, I think for one.

Bill (totally blanking on how to spell his last name) from Mastodon used to an old one to boost his JCM 800s, but now he uses a Digitech Hardwire Valve Distortion.

Are you looking at an old one or a reissue? I've never played one but I've read a few reviews. I heard the reissues aren't direct copies and are more suited to be a stand alone metal distortion pedal so I would reason that they might not work very well for the sound you're going for. (I'm using Sabbath as the base tone for what would or wouldn't work so correct me if I'm wrong)

So to sum it up.
Look for an older tube king, or a Big Muff.
Me and my girlfriend were in a guitar store one day.

My GF- What's the difference between Gibson and Epiphone?

Me- (Explains)

GF- So Epiphone is like Gibson's slutty little sister?

Me- I love you.
I saw Mastadon twice and had no idea he used a Tube King. That must have been the only show I somehow didn't take the time to check out the guitarists pedalboard.

As far as the original vs. the newer Tube King, I'd get the original. It sounds more organic and natural. Keep in mind that these recommendations are based off of guitarists using the Tube King as a boost, not their main source of dirt.