happy new cabinet day!!!!!

...wait...what?

today I went and picked up my first "new" cabinet! ..well, kinda new :p

from what little research i've done its a 1960's-70's marshall 1990 cabinet. 8x10" speakers in this beauty!!! the grille and cabinet are in really good shape, but it lost its nomex a while ago. It's got 7 (booo) of the original 8 celestion 7442 speakers in it and all of them test out okay!! only thing is, they will all need a re-cone except for one.

I'm also in the process of doing some modifications to my blues jr. many of which so far have made this little beauty really open up. The next one is making my combo blues jr. into a head unit for the new stack! I've got the stainless already bent/cut and I'm working on it little by little every weekend.

re-nomex"ing" the cab shouldn't be to bad and I've reconed a few speakers before. needless I'm WAY pumped to get started on this beauty.

the cool thing about it all is the "made in england" everywhere. Speaker wires have "south, a______ england on em" the casters have england on em and of course all the original celestions are stamped with it I'm pumped just to have this is a historical standpoint!

anyway, If anyone's got an idea of what the 7442 speakers are an equivalent to, I'd like to know. I'm doing a little bit of poking here and there but finding another and re-cone supplies will be tough untill i know what "new" er speaker stuff i may need to look for.

without adeau (or however the h3ll you speel that)

oand....the best part is, it was free
Last edited by jlangholzj at Sep 27, 2010,
HNCD!

For the record, you say NEW CAB DAY (NCD)

And WE wish YOU happy new cab day.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
*blushes*

oops.... bear with me a bit....i'm a bit of a n00b to the whole announcing new stuffs thing..

fixt with sneaky nija skills...
Last edited by jlangholzj at Sep 27, 2010,
that is really sweet dude. awesome vintage cab. 7442's are what they called the old 10" greenbacks from back in the day. so maybe a modern recone kit for a 10" G12M (greenback) will fit the bill.

really sweet.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Don't worry about it.

Gratz on the cab though
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
thanks to you both! I've already got a 1968 mustang that I put lots of time and effort...and all of my bank account into!! hahahaa..

this cab at some point it going to get everything worked over on it. I want to bring this baby back and polish it up to the gem that I know it is. Might take a little bit of elbow grease but hopefully like my car it'll turn out to be a nice piece in the end
I have nothing to say.

*Drooooooooooooooooooollllllllllllllllllllllllllllll*

EDIT: I cleaned up my drool. HNCD!!! It's beautiful.
I think that cab would a bitch to transport, but still so jealous.

HNCD!
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
hope you have a van to transport that thing

but it's really awesome. HNCD!!!
Main Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Telecaster and Stratocaster
Dr. Z Maz 18 Jr. NR, Vintage Fender Twin Reverb (early SF)
Effects from Wampler, Keeley, and others

Session Guitarist out of Pittsburgh
Hey nice cab..What in the world is that pedal that looks like a little can of oil??? I want one
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
Quote by maddnotez
Hey nice cab..What in the world is that pedal that looks like a little can of oil??? I want one

Hahahaha!! I need to re-make that pedal some douche stomped on it hard and bent it. Its a tuna can!!! Makes for a great effects switch for an amp like the fat switch on my BJ. Glad someone else likes it!
Congrats! How did you manage to get that for free? Good luck fitting that refrigerator in your Mustang.
Oh my God.

Hang on. Let me clean up my keyboard...
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
hahahahaa thanks guys for all the comments....the $5 was a running joke thing on my mustang forum. Penny or it isn't real!!! well...how bout $5 bish! lol

Quote by Guitarmiester
Congrats! How did you manage to get that for free?

a guy I know has been giging since...shit....journey was comming out with new songs

I'm doing some wiring work and other stuff for him, repairing amps, making pedals etc. so he gave me this baby. He told me if i could fix it, i could have it.

Now I'm sending out emails to celestion and a re-conning company that did a 7442 to try and figure out where to get reconing supplies / what i need to buy for the lost speaker since I'm turning up empty on a 7442 anywhere...eventually I'll but a legit 7442 but untill i can buy one....

kinda blows that all the tolex got torn off. Anyone around here have another 8x10 cab like this?? I'm gonna need some decent shots of a good one to see where i need to put the piping on top and some other stuff.
A friend of mine has a 1990 cab and I contend that it is the best speaker cabinet I've ever played through. You're lucky to score this thing for free, the only old Marshall 8x10's I've seen have been on ebay going for over $1500. That said, there are a few up right now on ebay with good pictures (gut shots, close-ups, etc.) if you're still interested in finding pictures.
Thanks man ill take a look. I was looking at some other pics and saw one in red :drool: looked damn sexy. I think I'll just put the original marshall tolex back on. Well....I only need to find another 7442 and a recone supplier and I've got all the stuff to restore this baby!!!!
Looks like re-applying tolex isn't too bad of a job. I still can't find a blasted speaker stateside. Found one in the UK but UPS wants $200 usd to ship it :S F.T.S!!!
soooo....about everyone in the speaker industry right now has me pissed. I've been able to find multiple companies that will re-cone and service my speakers for me at a price tag of about $70 per. Whenever i ask about supplies for re-coning these old girls they all tell me to go to hell....I'm kinda irritated. Granted they might see me as a potential threat for competion...lol! but this was after i made it clear i was just fixing up an old cabinet.

so here's the thing....somone on here HAS to do re-coning and service for speakers....anyone have an idea who? I'd much rather support someone from UG than one of the companies that baisically told me to go screw myself.
I've done a little bit of speaker reconing. Its actually not as difficult as everyone tries to make it out to be. You can go to the Weber Speaker site and they offer both reconing services and reconing parts. You will have to find out what parts you need for the speaker, but if your up to it you could save yourself a lot of money.
Quote by XgamerGt04
I've done a little bit of speaker reconing. Its actually not as difficult as everyone tries to make it out to be. You can go to the Weber Speaker site and they offer both reconing services and reconing parts. You will have to find out what parts you need for the speaker, but if your up to it you could save yourself a lot of money.

just checked them out, the customer service has been phenomenal to say the least!

just ordered the supplies from MOJO to start recovering this bad boy