Poll Options
View poll results: Reap OP and vote.
a) Definitely end my life, but definitely save my wife's
26 40%
b) Take my chances, despite knowing odds are very against me
39 60%
Voters: 65.
Page 1 of 2
Upon watching No Country For Old Men for the millionth time, I was wondering what I'd do in one of the character's place at a part in the film.

So here's the scenario. You've found 2.4 million dollars, and there's a psychopathic hit man (who is in no way fucking around) after you, and you know that this guy is very good at what he does.

So after a few events and coincidences, you manage to get yourself on the phone with him by accident, and after you find out he's on his way to kill your wife (which is most likely hypothetical in the Pit), he says this to you:

"This is what I'll offer; You give me the money and I'll let her go. That's the best deal you're gonna get. I won't tell you that you can save yourself, because you can't."

So do you:

a) Give the money and definitely end your life, but definitely save your wife's life.

b) Take your chances and try to save yourself (and your wife), even though the odds are definitely not in your favor at all.

It's hard for me to say because I don't have a wife, so I have to imagine someone fictional who I care about very much, but I think in that position I'd choose b) as I think it's very hard for a person to voluntarily give up their own life. I wouldn't be surprised if my mind changes if I get married.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4kO99Sg1fs

(Skip to 3:10 to see the exact scene)
Last edited by The Madcap at Sep 27, 2010,
I can't really imagine myself getting that attached to another person, so I'd probably take my chances.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
For me to do that... She's got to be an AMAZING wife.
Recently married? Maybe.
20 years of marriage? I'll take the money.
Quote by DonGlover

You look like a young Eugene Levy, but with a moustache.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought
Kicking a man when he's down, I'm proud of you

When they're down is the safest time.

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Sharks Stanley Cup 16-17,,,,?
Wow, 5 to 0.
We are some heartless bastards.
Quote by DonGlover

You look like a young Eugene Levy, but with a moustache.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought
Kicking a man when he's down, I'm proud of you

When they're down is the safest time.

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Sharks Stanley Cup 16-17,,,,?
I would give him the money. 1. I love my girl very much. 2. I'm dead anyway, what I gonna do with 2 million?

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
You can't use money if you're dead. May as well use it to keep the people I liked alive and well.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Quote by Deadlock Riff
i choose B

i want my money to start an epic band

hell yea. id just buy the best backing band and best equipment possible then fund a big ass world tour.

badabooom
Quote by rickyj
hell yea. id just buy the best backing band and best equipment possible then fund a big ass world tour.

badabooom

And right before you hit that first chord, you get shot right between the eyes.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
The exact scene I'm referring to is here if you skip to 3:10 by the way:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4kO99Sg1fs

And also, I admire those of you who chose option A.
Quote by Xiaoxi

It's like the opening scene of a movie.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Quote by Xiaoxi
And then you get to be mentioned in thousands of posts on guitar message boards every day.

id pick the save my wife if i ever get attached to anyone enough to marry them id gladly give up the money
rip ricky

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Option A, but not really. Thats just to get him off my wife's trail long enough for me to set up a way to kill him using the money.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
Since I don't have a wife and don't know what it is like to be madly in love with someone that much, I say I would try to save both of us. Since it's Anton, I wouldn't trust that he would let my wife go if I turned myself in.
"The rule of law -- it must be held high! And if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher!" - Hercule Poirot

© Soul Power
I don't believe that he would let either of us live, and on the basis that it's better to lose one life and know where a serial killer is to get him arrested than to lose 1, followed by an insane amount of money in which he can have more elaborate plans to kill other people...I just find the situation with less people dying would be best. Granted, I haven't ever been in love/made an emotional attachment to someone, so perhaps that would sway my opinion.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Isnt B kind of selfish? Youre gonna most likely die anyways. You said this guy was good and not ****ing around. Besides, even if you lived, youd have to live your whole life running away from this crazy man.

Id choose option A. Most likely I got myself into the mess, so its not fair for me to involve someone else. Specially someone I love.
YELLOWFRIZBEE s FreezerBurn

Stepco's Master
|Colowomble 2016|PSN=yellowfrizbee| + UG Community Radio|
C) I'd use the money to hire a hitter to kill the hitter, that way I save myself AND my wife
I put a dollar in a change machine. Nothing changed.
well considering i have 2 million dollars, change my name and move to europe/pacific island.
Survivor of:
Maryland Deathfest X
Maryland Deathfest XI
Maryland Deathfest XII
I would've checked the case first for a wire to make sure I couldn't be tracked. If Josh Brolin had done that, everything would've been smooth sailing.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
Quote by Jon777
Choice A. If I knew for sure that I could save my wife, that's all that would really matter.

This
The only reason I would ever ever EVER get married is if I found someone who complements my personality in the most perfect way imaginable. I would give my life for her.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Quote by SoulSyphon
Use some of that money to hire Jason Bourne. Problem Solved.

Same, no one ****s with Jason Bourne.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Bag - Money + Bomb = Option C
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
Could I have option C) Hire the A-Team

Not the new A Team, the original with Mr T.
I love my other half and can't bear the idea of him being murdered. Choice is the most sensible. I hope I'd have the presence of mind to choose it.
XIAOXI
Page 1 of 2