I've been playing the guitar for quite some time now, but I didn't really have lessons regarding metal/hard rock genres. I've been trying to play songs of these genres for the past 1 year now, and I find myself stranded. I believe that the only reason why I'm not able to play fast riffs, do shredding etc. is that my right hand(picking hand) just doesn't move right.

So here I am with a lot of queries.
Where do you generally 'rest' your wrist/palm/lower part of your hand on the guitar? on the bridge? on the lower strings(if playing the higher ones), behind the bridge?

How do you figure out which string/note to upstroke/downstroke, this is something that I feel is different for everyone, but I just dont know how a person can downstroke on say the first string and then quickly downstroke on the 2nd string. Tabs have no information regarding this, so what is your method?

Do you use a thick pick or a thin one while playing fast? Give me the details of your pick!

And lastly, when you play/pick a note, do you use just a very small part of the tip of the pick, or do you use a larger part. What I mean is, that when playing fast, you need to pick notes faster, and in this case there is a need to minimise the resistance from the strings-pick, so do you just use the tip of the pick, or do you go 'deep' and maybe put the pick at an angle, or use a very thin pick..?

Thanks
ThundeR ClasH
Last edited by thunderclash at Sep 27, 2010,
Quote by thunderclash

So here I am with a lot of queries.
Where do you generally 'rest' your wrist/palm/lower part of your hand on the guitar? on the bridge? on the lower strings(if playing the higher ones), behind the bridge?

How do you figure out which string/note to upstroke/downstroke, this is something that I feel is different for everyone, but I just dont know how a person can downstroke on say the first string and then quickly downstroke on the 2nd string. Tabs have no information regarding this, so what is your method?

Do you use a thick pick or a thin one while playing fast? Give me the details of your pick!

And lastly, when you play/pick a note, do you use just a very small part of the tip of the pick, or do you use a larger part. What I mean is, that when playing fast, you need to pick notes faster, and in this case there is a need to minimise the resistance from the strings-pick, so do you just use the tip of the pick, or do you go 'deep' and maybe put the pick at an angle, or use a very thin pick..?

Thanks

Answer to your first question is "wherever your hand is most comfortable"
keep your hand relaxed dont tense your muscles.

Usually while playing (fast or not), I use picks in the range of 1 mm to 1.5mm (i guess)
I tried reading the stuff written on my pick... but its gone all smudgy due to continuous use.
for me, the pick has to FEEL right. the thickness does not bother me much unless it gets too floppy, or is too thick between my fingers to hold steady.

while picking fast, i use the tip only dont go too deep on the strings, you'll get caught in the string if you go too deep. as for the pick angle, i keep it slightly angled. (not flat on the string). i find that it buzzes less if you do that......

Hey! but thats me!! And i guess, all the post after me are gonna disagree to what i say...
Samick AV6
Yamaha RGX 121z
Zoom G2 Processor
Digitech RP 80
Marshall CD15
Roland cube 30x