Hey UG!
I'm considering building my first guitar soon, partly for fun, and partly for something to do, and also because I'm in need of an upgrade.

Now I have a few questions, I'm going to be installing decent quality hardware; however I'm wondering if would it be okay if I used
1. White mahogany for the body wood,
2. White Mahogany if it's from an age old tree that was chopped down in my back yard.

If not, why?
& would it just be easier if I ordered a quality body blank from an online source?
-------------------------------------------
Gear:

Guitar(s): .Shecter Tempest EXTREMEEEEEE
--------------Maton CW-80

Amplification: Randall RG75 G3
Last edited by Nimbus456 at Sep 27, 2010,
Well, it'd definately be a hell of a lot easier if you ordered a body from online, coz you wouldn't have to shape it yourself, mess it up the first couple of times and whatever.
But then, usually you can only get the Les Paul, Tele and Strat shapes, so if you wanted a custom shape, then probably do it yourself.
PRS SE Torero | Fender MIM Tele | Jackson RR3

Bugera TriRec Infinium | Randall RH50T

Marshall 1960AV

Soundcloud
Band Facebook
I'm more then happy to shape the wood myself, simply for experience.

However, how does white mahogany stand up to the traditional darker mahogany tone wise, strength wise, etc? Or is it just not something you'd want to make a guitar out of?
-------------------------------------------
Gear:

Guitar(s): .Shecter Tempest EXTREMEEEEEE
--------------Maton CW-80

Amplification: Randall RG75 G3
White mahogany should be fine. If you mean to say that you've just chopped down the tree though, then the timber will be in no way usable for several years time, unless you happen to have a kiln to dry it in.
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Better than my plan, look at those perfect little dick suckin' lips!
Kid's a natural I tell yah!Orange Rockerverb 50 MKII
Marshall JCM 900 SL-X
Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded
Fender Mexican Standard Telecaster
Hey I built a guitar
I usually go to the lumber yard and dig through the piles for hours until I find a piece of wood that wants to be a guitar.

Necks on the other hand are more scientific: as straight and even grained as you can get it.
The wood needs to be dried if it was just recently cut down. Without a kiln it will take years.

You want something in the neighborhood of a 10% moisture content to avoid warping over time.