All right, UG, time for you to help me out.

I'm looking for a new amp (already, I know...) to replace the Lionheart which, whilst being a fantastic amp and a great purchase at £250, was an impulse purchase and one that doesn't cover everything I want. I love it, but it has to go.

So what I want to know is what should I be looking at as a replacement? I play quite a lot of different things, ranging from really clean, jazzy stuff through gritty blues, hard rock and a bit of metal, so versatility is a must. I'm not saying it has to do all of those on its own; if I can get an amp that takes pedals well, then there's scope for either getting a heavy amp and using an OD to get the bluesy tones on the clean channel, or a lower-gain amp and boosting it for the heavier tones.

Size isn't a big deal, nor is wattage. I'd prefer something on the smaller end for space-saving, but honestly once it's in my room it's likely to stay there for some time, so preferably around 15-30w power-wise, but if lower is possible then that's a bonus.

Two channels would be the ideal amount, more would be fab but I don't think I could cope with less. Separate EQs would be another bonus, as would an effects loop, but they're definitely not essential (figure I could cope without the loop). Combo or head and cab, either is fine if the tone is right.

I'm located in the UK and my estimated budget for this will be around £500. So, UG, what should I go out and try?
The Blackstar HT-20 and HT Club 40 are both E X T R E M E L Y versatile and can cover any of those sounds you want. Great amps in your price range.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahzfmFlMRA0

^ Here's the 40.
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Agile AL-3100 Silverburst
^ The Carvin V3 is well out of his wattage needs. He said he'd prefer 15-30 and it's mostly for quiet-ish play.
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Agile AL-3100 Silverburst
Thanks for the replies so far, all appreciated

The MoFo looks interesting indeed, but will that require a push to get more metal tones out of it? Not looking for super br00tz or anything, but a decent tone nevertheless. And is the Mini MoFo comparable?

The Blackstars look a good choice, so I'll definitely give those a try. Same with the Oranges mentioned, although they do seem to be going for more than I could probably spend overall.

As for the V3..what Ayses says is correct, I don't need something that powerful and I believe it would be out of budget, no?

Cheers guys, keep 'em coming.
Laney VC30

^ The Carvin V3 is well out of his wattage needs. He said he'd prefer 15-30 and it's mostly for quiet-ish play.

Master Volume is your friend
Quote by UnicronAlliance
Laney VC30

'fraid not. I owned a VC15 and found the same issues as with the Lionheart, it just doesn't do the job right for me.
Fair enough - Laneys do have a certain "sound" to them.

I mention the V3 as I have played extensively on them as my cousin has one. The MV is actually very good on it and I find it to be an extremely versatile amp. Yes it has a lot of Wattage but as I mention use the MV. If you look hard enough you should be able to find good prices on used ones.

How about a Peavey JSX / XXX ???

EDIT: Wait, too much wattage?
Last edited by UnicronAlliance at Sep 27, 2010,
Quite possibly. At a push I'd consider 50w, I guess.

I should probably point out that if the amp comes in head form, then there would need to be some money left in the budget for a cab, although I could extend it a little in that case.

Edit: Boss just left the room, so I listened to that Blackstar demo. Sounds pretty nice
Last edited by Denthúl at Sep 27, 2010,
Used Line 6 Vetta or Flextone or a Peavey Classic 30 or 50. You'll want to boost the Peavy to do heavier stuff though.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
hughes and kettner edition tube, or any of the anniversary editions thereof are worth trying out.
^^ I like the Flextone, but I think I'd probably want a valve amp to be honest. Wouldn't cross it off immediately though - it is a fairly good amp. The Vetta is probably too expensive, but really is nice.

^ Have you played either? If so, could you give me a quick idea of what they can do?
i used to have the 20th anny ed tube. great amp. modern gain tones, vintage clean tones. effects loop, footswitchable channels, reverb. it does have a shared eq which is a point for some but it never bothered me. it had jcm800 levels of gain, maybe a slight bit more.

really sorry i sold it.
Quote by Denthúl

^ Have you played either? If so, could you give me a quick idea of what they can do?

They don't differ much. There's three versions, the latest (25th anniversary) has a Celestion G12T I believe, which is a big plus for an amp that cheap (they're not even 500&euro. They are very versatile, the drive channel goes from bluesy to '80s rock and a wee bit of metal with hot pups. With a boost, it does br00tz.
That's all great and stuff, but here's the problem: It is a budget tube amp built for versatility, and it lacks regarding quality of tone. It's a bit grainy sounding, which bothered me with higher gain settings. It has more gain than the Lionheart, but that's the only advantage. For everything from cleans up to classic rock, the Lionheart is vastly superior.
Now don't get me wrong. I like the Edition Tube and have recommended it often enough myself. But if you go for it, I think you're downgrading and will be making a new thread asking for amp suggestions pretty soon.

When talking about H&K, you can look into the Statesman Dual EL84 or maybe the Quad EL84. They've got more gain than the Laney, but a pretty vintage-y voicing still. Think NWOBHM. It'll do Iron Maiden easily, but modern tones will be hard to get. Cleans are Fender-y. Rather bright amp, all in all.
I see used ones and floor models go for 600€ or so all the time. Check German eBay.

If you're incredibly lucky, you can sometimes score an H&K Duotone combo for 700€. That's a tiny bit over 500 quid I guess, but worth it.

Used Engl Thunder or Screamer might do it for you. Screamer might be over budget, but Thunders are easy to find for that price.

And because this setup is bringing me lots and lots of joy: Used Laney GH50L and whatever cab you can afford. I have a Framus 2x12" that I got for 200€, but a nice 1x12" would be enough I guess. The head can be picked up for very cheap in the UK.

Used Orange Rocker 30 is also an option.
Wow, lots of suggestions. Thanks

Just YouTubeing around at the moment and the Engl Thunder and Laney AOR sound pretty good for heavier stuff, haven't been able to find as many clean demos yet but still looking. The Framus looks interesting but I reckon that's a big risk to take - I can't find any demos of one anywhere. I've never even heard of it!

VM could be interesting, but I'd definitely want to avoid the DSL as I've never really liked them that much. I'd rather have a JCM 900, and there is one on there, but I don't think I should go for it as it's the model I had before and with the money I have I could probably get something better. Will look in to the H&Ks to see if there's anything about them I like.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Looks like I might have a lot to try out

used engl screamer or laney tt combo, maybe. Or even the gh (which i haven't tried), if you can make do with the single channel with f/s boost setup.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
There's a H&K Edition Tube 20th Anni for sale in Johnny Roadhouse in Manchester.

Was playing it the other day, it's fabulous, tempted to snap it up myself though...

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
The Br00tz kids buy the Thunder cause it's the cheapest Engl, but it does far more than Br00tz (it's not even really a metal-amp...). It's great for '70s and '80s rock imo. AOR is the same deal.

Yah, I thought you wouldn't like the DSL, but the deal looked good so I thought I'd include it. If I had the cash I'd buy the VM myself!
Quote by Dave_Mc
used engl screamer or laney tt combo, maybe. Or even the gh (which i haven't tried), if you can make do with the single channel with f/s boost setup.

Is the Screamer better than the Thunder? What are the key differences?

Quote by TheQuailman
The Br00tz kids buy the Thunder cause it's the cheapest Engl, but it does far more than Br00tz (it's not even really a metal-amp...). It's great for '70s and '80s rock imo. AOR is the same deal.

Yah, I thought you wouldn't like the DSL, but the deal looked good so I thought I'd include it. If I had the cash I'd buy the VM myself!

Sounds good, then, if it can cover those. Yeah, the VM is an interesting one. I've heard some demos that sound nice, some that sound bad. Not entirely sure what to make of it really. Hopefully I'll be able to find one to try.

Quote by TheQuailman
Some clips of the Statesman:

http://www.thomann.de/de/cat_bonedo~ncxes.html?artid=8673&ar=113010&page=2

The sites in German, but clips are clips...

Hmm, not really sure one those. Sounds okay, but...
Screamer is more versatile. Four channels with shared EQ, the Thunder only has two channels and less gain.

Granted, the clips of the Statesman weren't that great, but they're the only properly recorded ones I could find. I'll try to find some better ones.
i haven't tried the thunder, but from what i've heard, yeah, the screamer is more versatile (more channels for a start) and gets a bit heavier.

EDIT: now that I remember, thomann has a good price on the traynor ycv50 (around £500). That might be worth a look too (I've only tried the 40 and 20, but they were pretty nice, just very dear here in the UK).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 27, 2010,
Okay, thanks

I'll see if any of the places nearby stock the stuff that has been mentioned, but I'm not sure they will. Last time I went looking the selection of stuff was pants!
tell them min's coming over for a visit and to stock up.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?

Right, done nothing but listen to demos for the past few hours and all I can really say is I'm going to have to try pretty much everything recommended. I like a lot of the sounds people are getting from those Engl amps, which surprised me a little bit. I thought they'd be a little bit less versatile than they seem. The cleans are certainly nice enough and could see myself using them. Likewise, the Vintage Modern is fairly surprising, too.

What are the newer Marshall MA series amps like, out of interest? I don't know if they would be good or offer versatility, but I've not heard much of them so I can't say one way or the other.

haven't tried the mas yet. I really didn't like the vm, but that's just me. You had to crank the heck out of it to even get something passable...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
How about the Night-Train? 15W for your louder stuff, the 7W mode for the quieter end of things, proper Vox cleans but goes heavier than most. Then with a decent boost you should get into hard rock/light metal.

The head/cab combo is £500 exactly too, you could wait and see if you can get a used head instead and then save for a better combo/get the OD for metalz.

Gonna try one on Saturday probably, can give it a run-down of heavier stuff if you like to see how it copes? What cab set-up do you think you'd get if you got a head? When I briefly tried then NT before it was through an Orange 4x12 and it sounded massive.

And are you not considering just getting a JCM900 again, I thought that did everything you wanted last time?

Then again, you could just blow everything on THIS BEAST

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ceriatone-JTM45-JTM-45-head-/160486820942?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item255dc28c4e#ht_584wt_1137

No money left for a cab but hey, two kidneys? Total overkill
Night Train is cool.

Marshall MA is junk imo. The Class 5 is much better but less versatile. Never played a VM.

The Traynor YCV50 is a safe bet.

Are there any Egnaters over there?

ENGL Thunder was cool I thought.

Laney GH, VC and AOR Protubes are worth a look.
I've never seen a YCV50 around, but it sounds interesting. We do have Egnaters over here, but I'm not sure whether the prices are good.