Hello,

I recently bought a Vintage V100 les paul and there was an issue with it out of the box.
When I play the open low E string there is a shaking sound, like the whole truss rod is moving or something like that.

It seems that the neck is pretty straight though, I even adjust it a bit but the issue is still there. Could it be the nut or...?
It's probably the tuning screws that does it, try holding onto them while playing the string and see if that helps. My Vintage V100 did exactly that when I got it.
Yeah you seem to be right, since the sound comes from that tuner.
But it does it even if I apply preasure to it.

Is there a fix for that?
The tuner screws seem pretty tight though...
Last edited by zefs at Sep 27, 2010,
Try tightening the (hardware) nut at the base of the tuning post on the headstock face.
This sounds like a typical loose tuner problem. Do as other instructed. Place your hand on those tuners to dampen the sound and see if the rattling still there.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

No, rattling is not there when I am holding one of the tuners.
Can this be fixed though?
Usually the tuners are being held in place by a bolt. Use a hex socket and tighten it down to the headstock. Don't use too much force, though. You might destroy it.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Thanks, I will try that if I find a hex

Now a more general question.
When lowering the strings action, frets are buzzing and thats normal but what do I need to do if I want to lower the action and not get the buzzing sound? Use different strings? Adjust truss rod differently?
Ibanez RG821 + Ibanez TS9
Peavey Vypyr 30 + Sanpera

My song covers on YouTube
Quote by zefs

Now a more general question.
When lowering the strings action, frets are buzzing and thats normal but what do I need to do if I want to lower the action and not get the buzzing sound? Use different strings? Adjust truss rod differently?

As with any setup related issue, I would start at the headstock and work my way towards the bridge.

1. Check the nut slots are the proper depth
2. Check for proper neck relief. FWIW, most guitars I see people have WAY too much relief. A good baseline is the thickness of a playing card. Don't make the mistake of using a credit card or a pick as both are too thick.
3. Then set the action by adjusting the bridge to your desired action.

Now play test the guitar and see where, if any, buzzing occurs. If only certain frets are giving you issues then it's most likely a low/high fret. If regions of the fretboard are giving issues then you can make very slight relief adjustments (lower region buzzes then add a bit of relief; middle region, take a bit out). Relief is a compromise btw playability on the lower regions and middle/upper regions....you are trying to find the best compromise for your style of play and the guitar in question.

FWIW, any guitar with good fretwork and set up properly should be able to easily achieve an action of 1.2mm High E / 1.5mm Low E without buzzing.
Thanks for your answers.

@webwarmiller
On which fret do I measure these? 12? I will post my results after that.

@everyone
My last question would be, how can I achieve a cleaner sound on my setup?(see signature)
For example, when playing Nothing else matters by Metallica that I need to use my fingers instead of a pick, and have Chorus effect on the sound is not as clean as I would like it to be.

When bypassing the Chorus effect it's cleaner but still. I have bass and middle on zero in order to get a cleaner sound. Am I doing something wrong?

Cleaner sounds are usually associated with lowering the pickups a little from the strings. Action can also impact on the purity of sound so get that right first.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

It's the wilkinson pickups. Should I just lower them a bit? right now I can't play on the pickups since they are too high to the strings.(The pick is touching them)

How do you lower these anyway?

Last edited by zefs at Sep 27, 2010,
Quote by wildyoda2
Look at pretty girls.

LMAO

Now, srsly

Tomorrow I am going on a technician.
What should I tell him to do so that the playability of my guitar increases?
Right now the strings are quite high, and they are also a bit tight for bending.

Should I tell him to setup the guitar and put different strings?
If so which strings do you recommend? I mostly play Metallica/GNR solos.

Thanks!