I have a question about a good head for hard-core/metal core. I currently have a fender 212r (2x12) and the onboard distortion sucks for metal. I am wondering if it is better to get a good amp with good onboard distortion or to get any decent head and use a pedal like Boss's Metal Zone or Metal Core. If I need a good amp, then what is a good one for under/around 500$. Used is an option for me as well. Since my current amp is a combo, I wanted a half stack cause my 100 watts is not keeping up with everyone else in my band. Thanks.
Last edited by Kjv1993 at Sep 27, 2010,
Id suggest getting a head with good distortion opposed to pedals. Brugeras are pretty cheap and a good beginner amp for metal. You can find a 6505+ for a little more like maybe $700.

If you do end up going with pedals. Id suggest POD xt or something along those lines.
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
Peavey 6505+ 112, I think its about $599 in the US, which is a bit above your budget, but believe me its worth it. If you want to hear it, check out the stuff on my page
I know its a combo, but believe me it is more than loud enough even though its *only* 60 watts. Loudness isn't always measurable by watts, because different manufactures measure the wattage differently and its pretty well accepted valve amps will always be much louder than a solid state amp of equal wattage (and probably louder than one of a higher wattage too).
Quote by alexjg391
Peavey 6505+ 112, I think its about $599 in the US, which is a bit above your budget, but believe me its worth it. If you want to hear it, check out the stuff on my page
I know its a combo, but believe me it is more than loud enough even though its *only* 60 watts. Loudness isn't always measurable by watts, because different manufactures measure the wattage differently and its pretty well accepted valve amps will always be much louder than a solid state amp of equal wattage (and probably louder than one of a higher wattage too).

Yea thats a good option. I used a 112 at practice sometimes. Definitely loud enough.
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness
Quote by Guitarbaddie
Sell your Fender amp.

get the 6505+

/thread

LOL, no, not end of thread. TS has a crapload of options at that price level. I would say save up an extra $100 and get a 2x12 5150 combo. Two speakers makes it wound may better.

Set on getting a closed back cab? The Avatar Traditional 2x12 is supposed to be a nice cab, and its loaded with whatever you want.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
So basicly, in order for the amp to have good onboard distortion, it needs to be tube?
Quote by Kjv1993
So basicly, in order for the amp to have good onboard distortion, it needs to be tube?

No. But fi you want a good sounding amp... it has to be tube
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- late 70's vintage Fender Stratocaster (USA)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
- Visual Sound Volume Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
a 6505 combo is good. Look in youtube for "mtuck5150". Look at his reviews of Bugeras. One spesifically telling the 6262 bugera he thinks is a lil better than a 6505. Its all opinion.

But if you want to save money (but not really sacrificing tone), look at the bugeras. They had reliability issues, but not anymore (at least not THAT much). I own a 3 year old bugera. 6262 head. It had the transformer clip melted like all bugeras those series. Nowadays the bugeras come with a fixed clip so they wont break down by that cause. My bugeras still holding it with the original tubes. Had no issues.

Cheers
Jonathan
If you're not keeping up with a band with 100 watts and 2 12" speakers then something is seriously wrong. Are you scooping your mids?

You wont get a good half stack for $500 and if you're having trouble being heard with a 212 I'm not sure a 412 is going to make the difference.
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join