Hey guys.

I've been playing for about 5 months now. I've been using Justinguitar.com for lessons. Well Im done with the Beginners course (actually went over the course 3 times)..Now i don't know where to go from here.

I want to play Lead, so what do you suggest I start learning now?
Firstly: learn to play rhythm as well, nowadays even the best lead players spend huge amounts of time playing rhythm.

Secondly: Are there not other things to work through on justinguitar.com?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
He does have other things on there..but I don't know what I should learn. You know, I've been at it for 5 months now..I don't know the right direction.(if that makes any sense)

Ok so what are some easy rhythm stuff i can play?
Play what you want to play. Like pick songs you like but have trouble playing.
Quote by edi7
Hey guys.

I've been playing for about 5 months now. I've been using Justinguitar.com for lessons. Well Im done with the Beginners course (actually went over the course 3 times)..Now i don't know where to go from here.

Not familiar with the course... but the fact that A- you only been playing 5 months and B- nobody can hear or see you play... makes it pretty much impossible to give the "right" answer to this. Because there are too many aspects that go into lead guitar.

I guess if your just gonna wing it on your own... I think the best thing to do is to pick out some solos that you want to play, and just start learning them using tabs or whatever as a guide. But at the same time, you don't want to form any bad habits right off the bat.

Maybe buy a lead guitar DVD or book aimed at beginners.... That's a safe bet to get on the right track. good luck
I'm at about a couple months of experience. Try learning that Dethklok - Thunderhorse song. Very fun and catchy to play, some easy parts and some hard parts (the sweep picking is hard for me).
Quote by edi7
Hey guys.

If you're looking to play lead, you want to make sure that you know your scales. I just checked out justinguitar.com, and there's a whole section on scales. Just click on "scales" on the left hand side.
Keep in mind if you learn scales that whatever scale you learn, the pattern is identical in all keys, you just use the root note of whatever key you're playing to reference where the pattern falls on the fretboard for your song's key and use the exact same pattern that you would in the key you learned it in.

For example if you learned minor pentatonic in the key of A, but you want to use it in the key of G, you just find your G root note and apply the same scale/intervals you used for the key of A, but move the entire fretboard scale accordingly. In this instance you would just move the whole thing down by 2 frets. ^.^

Here is a great lesson that teaches you the positions of minor pentatonic:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/scales/minor_pentatonic_scales.html

It shows the patterns as well as how they connect in every key. Just work on the patterns and once you have that down, you can just move that position all over the fretboard. You don't *have to* learn this scale first, I'm just picking it because it's only got 5 notes and was easy for me to learn. It has the 1 b3 4 5 b7 and that's it. Super-duper easy and you can play TONS of stuff just by learning the intervals.

The main thing to realize here when learning any scale is that you only need to memorize it in one key and then poof! you now know how to use it in all keys!
Hope that helps!
Last edited by Rvn at Sep 28, 2010,
I've seen a few Justinguitar vids on youtube. He's a pretty cool teacher.

I went to the sight and skimmed over the beginner lessons real quick...
just keep expanding and practcing

I'd say learn more scales and expanded scales:learn the keys and notes you are playing not just shapes. It will help you 100000000% more in the long run.
Improv over jam tracks
Focus on getting deep in to music theory (something I'm still doing)
Learn every note on your guitar
Learn all the chords you can
7's, min7s , Maj7s , 9s, 13, 7#9s , 6's , 7 b5s , etc etc

Learn a ton of songs that you'll enjoy playing

the faster and stronger you get your hands and the more theory, scales and chords you know the better... so do things that will bring you closer to that
Last edited by irweojhy903!ier at Sep 28, 2010,
Quote by irweojhy903!ier
I've seen a few Justinguitar vids on youtube. He's a pretty cool teacher.

You make another good point. Knowing what notes you're playing along with the 'shapes' is very important to playing the solos and flavorings that sound good.

Personally, I know every note on the board, but I am still getting used to learning which note sounds just right and when it sounds just right.

To the TS, that is something that I'm learning comes with practice and learning to 'feel' it instead of having to try and think about it while playing. For me, stopping to think about something almost always means that I'm about to goof up. But you'll find with practice that it gets easier. At least, it is for me... albeit slowly.