I use a ton of different strings, whatever catches my fancy. Dean Markley, Elixir, Ernie Balls, whatever. My last set, I think they were elixirs, lasted like 2 months, with tons and tons of playtime.

I just put some a lighter gauge of D'Addarios on (.10) and they rusted within literally a day. They're a pain to play now.

So what's going on? They generally seem to get good reviews, and I maintained my guitar same as always. It's been more humid in the area recently, but I always keep my guitar inside where it's constantly cool. Is the brand bad? Did I get a bad pack? Or am I doing something wrong?
Ibanez Artcore AS73
Vox Valvetronix 15w
Try GHS strings.
Fender Stan. Stratocaster HSS 60th Anniversary
Squier Deluxe V-String Jazz Bass (active p-ups)
Peavey Valveking 112
Zoom G2.1u
...and my fingers

.: Music Heals :.
Damn, how the hell do you guys always have a problem with rusting?

I have NEVER had a set of strings start to even think about rusting... Then again, I use FastFret after every set, and wipe the strings down after I play. But even when I used to not, I never had strings rust....

On topic. Either do what I just said, or try out.... maybe some Cleartones or DRs? I've had great luck with DR strings.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Any non coated string can rust overnight if not wiped down. That said I don't always wipe mine down and they last at least a month, but I let my friend play it once and the next day my new strings had to be changed. he must have acid for sweat, so depends on the person I guess.
Quote by Lcollins1
Air conditioning can rust strings really quickly

How? AC removes alot of moisture from the air, thus reducing the amount of moisture from the air.

It's prolly cause you bought the non coated D'Addairos, and you haven't been wiping down the strings after you play.

If you want coated D'Addairos, get the EXP's.
I always forget to wipe mine down and my strings are fine. This particular set I've had on for about 2 months, and there is no rust...
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Yeah, strings don't last long. Few days maybe, before tones falter, tuning stability doesn't exist, and it feels like your bending an iron rod.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Have you ever used those strings before? It may be something with the different coating/string composition reacting with the oils on your hand. Just a thought.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-Gibson Les Paul Studio - Gem Series
-ESP Eclipse II Standard
-ESP Horizon FR II Standard
-Marshall TSL 602
-Peavey 6505+
-Mesa 2x12 Rectifer Cab
ive been using D'Addario strings for years and ive never had this problem.

you musta done something wrong.
"I can see that we speak the wrong notes."

Warlock NJ Deluxe (haters gonna hate)
Crate EL-10G
I use Dean Markley Blue Steels and they sound pretty good and last forever. I used to use D'Addarios a ton but they'd rust in a week or two for me personally. The Dean Markley's will break before they rust, and it takes like a solid month or two of playing aggressively to break a string. Ernie Balls would be my second choice, but I've heard good things about DR strings.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Yeah, strings don't last long. Few days maybe, before tones falter, tuning stability doesn't exist, and it feels like your bending an iron rod.

mine have been on about 4 months now and theyre fine. theyre elixrs, but my normal brand is DR's, and they last at least 1 month just fine, even 2 at a push

purely out of interest, does string gauge affect longeivty? i have 13's, and they last longer than my electrics 11's.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Wipe them after you play.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Two things causing the discrepancies here; first off, people sweat more or less and have more or less of some compounds in their sweat so some people are just hard on strings, second people have different ideas of what a rusted string looks like and when strings are no longer good. So not only is the actual experience different, people's interpretations of it are different. Therefore, string life WILL vary between people.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
^ That's true, some people's sweat is downright toxic waste.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
i've found that d'addario strings turn bronze-coloured at a spot where i play a lot after a few hours of putting on a new set. then after a few days they proceed to turn black and rough.

i think it's probably that the alloy they use doesn't get along with me.
i've had no problems with ernie ball and dean markley blue steels, just gradual deadening over time.
Quote by Wojiz
I use a ton of different strings, whatever catches my fancy. Dean Markley, Elixir, Ernie Balls, whatever. My last set, I think they were elixirs, lasted like 2 months, with tons and tons of playtime.

I just put some a lighter gauge of D'Addarios on (.10) and they rusted within literally a day. They're a pain to play now.

So what's going on? They generally seem to get good reviews, and I maintained my guitar same as always. It's been more humid in the area recently, but I always keep my guitar inside where it's constantly cool. Is the brand bad? Did I get a bad pack? Or am I doing something wrong?

Rusted, or just tarnished?

The Elixers are coated and are inhibited from rusting, so you can't make a direct comparison to plain old D'ads.

As has been mentioned here, try wiping down after you play and maybe try using Fast Fret. I use it occasionally on a couple geets I keep in the workshop (unheated, cement floor, even pretty near the ocean), and the strings on these guitars do not rust.
Water which is too pure has no fish - Ts'ai Ken T'an
I have been using D'Addario 10's pretty much exclusively for as long as I have been playing (almost 20 yrs), never had that problem. They take a few plays to hit peak performance, but they usually last pretty well as long as u wipe em down while playing and store them properly. Must have been a bad set
Last edited by AWBFTA at Sep 29, 2010,
i don't get it. i live in florida, where its 90* 6 months out of the year with extremely high humidity, and have never had an issue with strings rusting. i even play out side with a battery powered amp while my dog runs around the yard. i have never wiped strings off or anything, and i get four months out of D'addarios.

i guess your hands may sweat a lot more than mine or something.

and also as others have stated, tarnished? or rusting? big difference.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/