Wow! that was mint can't think of any criticisms.

Also do you have any tips for developing a good legato technique?
Quote by uk.mace
This man is smart.

Quote by guitar-guy69
you spelt colors wrong

Tweet me bro.
Quote by blankoff
Wow! that was mint can't think of any criticisms.

Also do you have any tips for developing a good legato technique?

well, no, legato have always been easy for me, it just comes naturally.
im the worst at picking tho... dunno how to improve that part
Great take! Your bending and vibrato technique is fantastic - intonation, tone, and all - and your overall playing's ridiculously articulate. How long have you been playing, and how do you practice if you don't mind me asking? The level of playing showcased in all of your videos is crazy!

When it comes to picking technique - alternate picking particularly - what helped me break a plateau was burst playing. I'd set the metronome to 130 or 140 bpm (or whatever is comfortable) and play a simple, single string phrase as eighth notes for three bars. For the fourth bar, I'd hit double time by playing sixteenth notes the way through. This way, the rhythm of the phrase felt natural, since the subdivisions were only being halved, and it helped me break through both the mental and physical barriers of my picking technique.
You may have a little bit of tension starting off with this method, but once that mental barrier's broken - which doesn't take long at all, if an hour - you'll be more more relaxed and can continue breaking that plateau, gradually approaching more complex lines and phrases with this method.
That's if we're talking about speed, anyway. If you want to add colour and tone tour picking, you could try implementing different levels of dynamics in your notes; where you'd usually play legato, try using a smoother pick-stroke to contrast with your usual pick attack. Where you may use vibrato, try a tremolo picking approach and fluctuate your dynamics. You could even try alternate picking phrases you'd usually sweep (which has helped me a TONNE with accuracy and tone, and it's continuing to help).
Finally, wide interval string skipping licks (I'm positive that I have a Jason Becker GP file that has a bunch of crazy licks that I could upload if you like) help a lot for accuracy, too.

I've probably said more than you'd want - and probably come off as condescending in the process, which I don't mean to. Your playing's staggering and I'd never have guessed you have technique concerns! - but I hope it helps out with your picking technique.

EDIT: That Kaipa cover is insane. I'm working on the song by ear right now =D
Last edited by juckfush at Sep 28, 2010,
Quote by juckfush
Great take! Your bending and vibrato technique is fantastic - intonation, tone, and all - and your overall playing's ridiculously articulate. How long have you been playing, and how do you practice if you don't mind me asking? The level of playing showcased in all of your videos is crazy!

Thanks alot man! best reply i've recieved in a long time i've been playing for 5 years now, since i was 11
also thanks for the tips about the picking =D

cheers!

EDIT: saw that u covered wonderful slippery thing, one of my favourite songs! nicely done. i've sent a friend invite on youtube
Last edited by eelliiaassz at Sep 29, 2010,